Poll

Who will win the Roland Garros 2012 Men's singles title?

Nadal
12 (41.4%)
Djokovic
8 (27.6%)
Federer
8 (27.6%)
Murray
1 (3.4%)
Del Potro
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: May 28, 2012, 11:07:08 AM

Author Topic: French Open 2012 - Final Pre-tournament Take  (Read 15595 times)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
French Open 2012 - Final Pre-tournament Take
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
what's your very first take on 2012 french open? who in your opinion is the top favourite men's singles player going into this tournament? the question looks simple but answering it may not be that simple.......

history beckons for nadal with borg's record on the line and history beckons for djokovic as well with non-calender year grandslam looming large.......with federer as usual in the mix of things at slams and clay being his best surface these days, things could get really interesting once again........murray and del potro will be carrying the hopes of their respective nations.......this slam is going to be the most anticipated in recent times.......

vote and discuss.......

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:03:15 PM by Start da Game »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: French Open 2012 - First Take
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »
Until someone beats Rafa on the clay at the FO then he is my pick as the favorite.  I think Nole has the only shot, he just needs to get to the finals to see how he does.  Could be epic.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »
Honestly, for me its way too difficult to predict the winner now !.. a LOT can happen in the 3 months time..however, based on the current form of players, i can think only of nadal or djokovic( assuming, players get no injury).
...my inner mind says Nadal might walk away with the RG 2012.. :)~..
pressure will be on djokovic b'coz :
1. he's the Hottest player on tour now.
2. He's won all 3 other GS - ( Aus open, Wimbledon & US OPEN)..he would want to complete career GS.
3. He's trying to be the first man since______ to win all 4 GS in a row( if not in order)
4. He's already disclosed to everyone that RG will be his #1 priority..so i am assuming he'll be super-fit by then..
5. can't think of any other.. :)~
.although if federer wins, it would make millions happy( including me) :))
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
I'm no Astro-Predictor, but there's no way in hail I'd bet against Nadal on clay.  Ever.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »
what's your very first take on 2012 french open? who in your opinion is the top favourite men's singles player going into this tournament? the question looks simple but answering it may not be that simple.......

history beckons for nadal with borg's record on the line and history beckons for djokovic as well with non-calender year grandslam looming large.......with federer as usual in the mix of things at slams and clay being his best surface these days, things could get really interesting once again........murray and del potro will be carrying the hopes of their respective nations.......this slam is going to be the most anticipated in recent times.......

vote and discuss.......

Creating this thread now can only mean one thing. Nervousness. Since when did predictions for the french open start on February.  :confused1:
The world awaits no genius

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »
....ahhhh, hmmmm, it's the next slam??? :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
french open and australian open usually generate a lot of pre tournament talk.......the french open will heat up more than usual this time for all the obvious happenings in the world of tennis.......acapulco and buenos aires should start in another 15 days or so anyway........so we will start rolling out the roland garros discussions as the clay season approaches.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »
I'm no Astro-Predictor, but there's no way in hail I'd bet against Nadal on clay.  Ever.

i will go with this as well.......it's very hard to take out nadal at the french open no matter who you are.......there's a reason why he has never lost a best of 5 sets match on clay in his career, barring that lone match when he was injured.......

i said that nadal can hang around for 6 hours in a hardcourt best of 5 sets match and 7 hours in a best of 5 sets match on clay.......i was wrong.......he looked good to last for another hour if needed, so make that 7 hours on hardcourts and probably 8 hours on clay if it goes that far.......

it seems like djokovic finally matches nadal in that department but the men's final at the french open is going to be played under the sun.......now rafa can still last for 7 hours in the sun on clay, but can djokovic?

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »

i will go with this as well.......it's very hard to take out nadal at the french open no matter who you are.......there's a reason why he has never lost a best of 5 sets match on clay in his career, barring that lone match when he was injured.......

i said that nadal can hang around for 6 hours in a hardcourt best of 5 sets match and 7 hours in a best of 5 sets match on clay.......i was wrong.......he looked good to last for another hour if needed, so make that 7 hours on hardcourts and probably 8 hours on clay if it goes that far.......

it seems like djokovic finally matches nadal in that department but the men's final at the french open is going to be played under the sun.......now rafa can still last for 7 hours in the sun on clay, but can djokovic?

Last year Djokovic won more comfortably against Nadal on clay. What Nadal should hope is for an in-form Federer to be in Djokovic's half and then hope he'll knock him out.
The world awaits no genius

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »
^^ Not quite true, you are not taking into consideration five sets on clay against Rafa. Its an all new experience. Also, consider that Rafa will probably be the most worried abt his clay defence. RG he wouldn't want to give up. That means everything and the little bit of mental edge that he posesses too.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
I heard Djokovic is playing Monte Carlo this year.
Why is the question I have.
Nadal has won there 7 straight times so it seems to me that Djokovic wants to challenge him there.
Could be he wants to get a title in all the masters, Fed holds the masters record with 7 titles out of the 9.

Maybe he wants to gain confidence by taking something valuable from Nadal before RG and further hurt Nadal's mental outlook.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:34:57 PM by swish »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Yes, but it would be wiser from Nole's perspective  to surprise Rafa in the finals of RG  (if both get there) directly than in a pre tournament, I feel Rafa is getting closer to Nole and everytime he plays him, he is going to get stronger.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »

Fed holds the masters record with 7 titles out of the 9.

I don't pay attention to this stuff. Is that a feat that was even attainable by McEnroe or Agassi? Were there always 9 masters shields to win? :dunno:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »

Fed holds the masters record with 7 titles out of the 9.

I don't pay attention to this stuff. Is that a feat that was even attainable by McEnroe or Agassi? Were there always 9 masters shields to win? :dunno:

Get into the game man, use the internet and report back with what you find.  ..-)

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
At this very moment I'm going with Nadal. After 3 months, I dont know what,s going to happen, maybe Soderling comes back stronger than ever

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »
Rafa. He's going to be on more of a mission than Nole. Nole has more game, which will propel him past Rafa on other surfaces, but Rafa has more grit than any man in the history of time.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:24:49 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 09:40:43 PM »
I think this is the year Rafa falls & does not win RG,this just might be the year things change.Djokovic & Murray will be up for the fight & i think one of these guys will take Nadal out this time.Looking forward to the Masters on Clay,this should give us a guide what's going to happen.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
I think this is the year Rafa falls & does not win RG,this just might be the year things change.Djokovic & Murray will be up for the fight & i think one of these guys will take Nadal out this time.Looking forward to the Masters on Clay,this should give us a guide what's going to happen.

Hate to break this to you, sid, but that year has come and passed. That year was 2009.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 01:00:01 AM »

Murray on clay? I am yet to see him do well there sid, sorry, but Murray is at his best on hard courts and even on hard courts rafa beats him quite convincingly. Clay is an all new area. We know Nole, Rog are the contenders along with Rafa of course. I would put Murray with DelPot, Sod etc. They do well on their day on clay, but will fall down eventually to the real competitors on clay.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »
I don't know. I (again) have this feeling that Rafa will not win FO this year. not because of Djokovic who might fail too... it would be cool to have someone new to win the tournament... not sure who