Author Topic: Laptop misery  (Read 1479 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Laptop misery
« on: February 06, 2012, 03:35:23 PM »
So. as many of you probably know I take great pride and comfort in my laptop. I have a sweet machine and I would like to believe I make the most of it. The hours I spend tweaking it, the nifty software tricks and configs and batch files and scripts that I have altering it, the hardware upgrades and customization.. the months and months of pain i went through organizing all my music to satisfy my OCD..  I don't own too many material things but my laptop has to be the closest one to my heart.

And I have a sweet little beast. Sure it's an Acer but Intel i5, 500gig hard-drive,  4 gig ram and plenty of customization and it's one hell of a machine.

And for the second time - this time my brother's accident - it got flooded with around half a litre of water and died. On the spot. I dismantled it and let it dry. No luck. I figured at least I'd recover the data.. bought an external SATA bay, put the hard-drive in... it's now RAW fileformat. Ran a couple different recovery methods, was able to recover a couple different sectors but nowhere clsoe to the capacity and of course, couldn't retrieve ANYTHING.

All in all, I am pretty upset and annoyed right now. For two weeks I have been holding out and hoping I'd be able to recover data and it'd be ok. It isn't.

Just wanted to share. This was my laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-TimelineX-AS1830T-6651-11-6-Inch/dp/B004ETQDHW

Well I'll send it in, it's under warranty. Acer should fix it up and send it back, hopefully as good as new. But I am tired of water-spills. I want to sell it and get a laptop that is more durable. Macs are the most popular spill-resistant computers out there and the IBM/Lenovo thinkpads are right up with it. They are both super expensive, not to mention I am not a fan of Mac so that's out of the question. What shall I do? I'll never get an i5 equivavelnt portable (11.6-12.6 range) laptop with as good a battery life for un $600.

Whatever. I'm just upset, but .. what can I do. I'll go at it all over again, and it'll be worth it. And I'll improve upon it. Any suggestion appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on used/refurbished Macbooks? I am not against their hardware if it'll last me a while and I can just reformat and put Windows and Linux on it. I just don't want to spend $$$$ on them, they are super expensive and seem very fragile.

Lesson to learn from all this if you didn't read the above: BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT FILES, NOW!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:37:28 PM by pawan89 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Laptop misery
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
 :(.....  and here I was thinking this was a thread about a lap dance gone awry.... :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
Back ups are awesome, and if you run your own company out of your house they are even more awesome.

Online backup storage is painfully cheap, I pay about 5 bucks a month for unlimited storage.  Crashplan.com, check it out yos!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Are you in London? You speak in liters, favourites, and behaviours now.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »
Where ever he is, I hope he is playing more tennis that MT and Babs put together!!!
Scott Baker

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »
I'm thinking about giving my pro a ring really soon.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »
I grew up studying British English I guess. old habits die hard.

And I haven't touched my racquet in ... months. Might as well sell it too. Anyone want 2 nCode 95s, I'll take whatever money you want to give or not even, just come over and pick it up  :\

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:47:24 AM »
Thanks for the tip Professor, I do backups for the biz weekly here since a crash 3 years ago that cost me dearly.  Just never got into the off-site gig, sounds like a great deal though.

Good luck with your new machine!

Are you seriously selling those nCodes?
If so, PM me.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
Panasonic makes waterproof notebooks and industrial grade notebooks.  If you want to have a notebooks that is waterproof looking to one of them.  Also, Panasonic makes notebooks for harsh environments too for scientist to use; but they are triple the cost of a normal notebook but you can drop it 6 feet on the ground and no problem or use it in a near a sandstorm and it should keep on working.

But if you can wait for Windows 8 to buy your next notebook; hope that Acer will fix your current one; you will have the additional benefit of a touch screen and keyboard in one computer!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »
Acer is crap, sorry to say this but I'm in that type of business. I actually have some hard data about % of laptops of .... certain brand name that break down. Acer is jst there on the top of the list. Harry is right, the best laptops are made by Panasonic. yes they are expensive but they are absolutely amazing. OK, let me tell you this, an average HP, Acer, Dell laptops repair rate is around 30%, Panasonic rate is 1.5%.. if you do have money get a Panasonic laptop, it's worth every penny

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
Hmm, yeah, Acer is definitely not the best of the name brands out there. I got it because it was 1. cheap 2. amazing stats for a cheap laptop, and 3. cheap. I have a 500 gig, core i5 with a 1.86ghz processor .. i actually do get a good 7 hours of battery on this and i just love it.

They fixed it for me, replaced the mother board and hard-drive so i'm kinda glad, i have a brand new laptop for all practical purposes :) if anything happens to this, I'm screwing Acer and buying something reliable - Lenovo thinkpads.

I haven't seen too many panasonic laptops, is it just not that big in the U.S maybe?

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »
Acer is crap, sorry to say this but I'm in that type of business. I actually have some hard data about % of laptops of .... certain brand name that break down. Acer is jst there on the top of the list. Harry is right, the best laptops are made by Panasonic. yes they are expensive but they are absolutely amazing. OK, let me tell you this, an average HP, Acer, Dell laptops repair rate is around 30%, Panasonic rate is 1.5%.. if you do have money get a Panasonic laptop, it's worth every penny

is it robust? that's the first thing i look for in any product.......i dislike sony products because they need to be cared like a little baby.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »

is it robust? that's the first thing i look for in any product.......i dislike sony products because they need to be cared like a little baby.......

I have (2) 23" Acer monitors for my desktop.  Typically for laptops though I go to Dell.  I built my last two  desktops.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »
listen, all monitors are made by two big companies in Asia. don't want to go to any details. what happens is that all big companies simply stick their names to these monitors... they don't make them. So, let's say you buy an Acer monitor, it's not made by Acer...

shank to answer your question, Panasonic laptops are the most robust machines in the world... the are being used by the US army, Calgary police etc. I saw a commercial when they run a car over a Panasonic laptop and it worked fine. It's crazy. I had one for over 6 years.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:17:36 AM by Alex »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »
listen, all monitors are made in two big companies in Asia. don't want to go to any details. what happens is that all big companies simply stick their names to these monitors... they don't make them. So, let's say you buy an Acer monitor, it's not made by Acer...

i guess it happens everywhere......."kelvinator" is a huge refrigerator brand name here and "godrej" is an old and outdated one, not that popular........funny thing is that godrej manufactures refrigerators for kelvinator to attach their labels and sell.......

shank to answer your question, Panasonic laptops are the most robust machines in the world... the are being used by the US army, Calgary police etc. I saw a commercial when then run a car over a Panasonic laptop and it worked fine. It's crazy. I had one for over 6 years.

that is cool......i will check it out.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »
I have Acer too. Does its job. For all heavy duty work I work from my lab (running simulations which run for days etc)...my lappy is for small stuff like watching matches, videos, mailing and stuff. I don't expect more from a laptop. Its been working fine for a couple of years (almost) now. Battery runs easily for over 4 hrs even now. I handle my stuff carefully though.

I've had more problems with my desktop than my laptop. Its Dell and has i7 core processor. Its quite bad for what was promised.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 01:47:35 AM »
pawan : remember ?? :)~ :))

P.s : i don't like being the teacher, but "awkward" is spelled wrong.. ;-()
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 12:22:19 AM »
I have Acer too. Does its job. For all heavy duty work I work from my lab (running simulations which run for days etc)...my lappy is for small stuff like watching matches, videos, mailing and stuff. I don't expect more from a laptop. Its been working fine for a couple of years (almost) now. Battery runs easily for over 4 hrs even now. I handle my stuff carefully though.

I've had more problems with my desktop than my laptop. Its Dell and has i7 core processor. Its quite bad for what was promised.
Falc, do not ever purchase a Dell desktop or laptop ever. It's the lowest quality sh!t ever. Their warranty is a joke. They use the cheapest parts ... If you need a new desktop, go to a local computer store, pick up your own (good quality parts) and let them build it for you. yes, it does cost more, but it's worth every penny. We have a store called Memory Express here in Calgary. I'm not sure if they have a store in Vancouver, but if they do... give them your business... they are great. 

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
pawan : remember ?? :)~ :))

P.s : i don't like being the teacher, but "awkward" is spelled wrong.. ;-()

:head-bash: :ranting: :ranting: :cursing: :hammer:

:rofl_2:

I bought myself a keyboard protector as soon as i got the laptop back! Never going to let this happen again.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 12:42:44 PM »
It happens to us all ONCE  :scared: ! Ever since, I have always consciously put my cup of coffee on a side table.