Author Topic: Sanchez Vicario is broke!  (Read 774 times)

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Sanchez Vicario is broke!
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:52:02 AM »

"In the 1990s, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario was the clay court queen of tennis, winning four Grand Slams and accumulating more than $60 million in earnings and endorsements. Today, the former world No. 1 says she has "nothing," the result of years of financial mismanagement by her mother and father.

Sanchez Vicario says her father put her on a strict budget during her career. She received a monthly allowance and assumed the rest was being invested.

As she claims in a new autobiography, excerpts of which were published this last weekend in the Spanish newspaper El Mundo, that's not what happened.

"My parents left me with nothing and now I am indebted to the [tax authorities] and I will not be quiet," she wrote. "My properties are worth a lot less than those of my brother Javier, who has earned a lot less than me. [] I never questioned the way my father managed my money. I have been a victim, I was duped."

Sanchez Vicario says she is estranged from her immediate family.

Her mother denies the claims made in the book. Marisa Vicario Rubio told El Mundo that her daughter's claims are "lies."

"We never took advantage of Arantxa and under no circumstances is she broke," she said."

So sad!  No skill now; except teaching tennis and the Spanish tennis commentator!

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
Re: Sanchez Vicario is broke!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:50:11 AM »
She earned frekin 60 mil. If she put half a mil under the bed, or in some sock she would be still pretty rich now. I don't know, the story looks a bit weird.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »
so sad. she looks better than ever tho. I don't think family members should manage their money... so stupid. She wasn't a kid when she was a champ. plain stupid.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
I remember the gaudy way her mother dressed, like she wad royalty.  This doesn't surprise me.

Hopefully conchita will weigh in.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:46:36 AM »
she should be fine tho. she can get a job as a trainer. I still don't understand that she made $60 mill . it doesn't sound very realistic, but who knows?

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
My first impression was the whole story sounded kooky.
I don't think we have all the information.
Oddly enough, Babs and I are of the same mind hoping La Senora of all things related to tennis in Spain, Conchita, will set the record straight.

I always admired the pluck of ASV and she seems to be a straight up character.  Let's hope for the best for her.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
Are they her real parents?

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:28 PM »
Arantxa was named to be the captain of the Spanish Fed Cup this year too!

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
"In the 1990s, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario was the clay court queen of tennis

How can you be the so-called "queen of clay court tennis" when you have a losing record against Steffi Graf and half as many French Open titles as she does?  :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
Sanchez Vicario has as many French Open titles as Monica Seles who got robbed of her prime!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »
Arantxa started live in the pro tour pretty young maybe a year or two after Steffi Graf.  Like most teens; you obey your parents and they control your world.  Just look at Caroline Wozniacki for a curent update of how parents affect their child; or until recently Donald Young. 

So, I can see why Arantxa was still caught up in the parent's control even after her tennis career was over - she knew nothing else but to obey and do as her parents ordered!  Maybe that why she won too!