Poll

Can Federer win any outdoor hardcourt event where he has to go through Nadal and/or Djokovic?

Yes
11 (57.9%)
No
4 (21.1%)
Are you joking?
1 (5.3%)
Just retire Roger, it's a joke to keep losing to these young stallions endlessly.
0 (0%)
Look squirrel!
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Federer  (Read 2258 times)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Re: Federer
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »
Alex - up until 2008 Hewitt was at full strength and Federer had beaten him more then 10+ times in a row by then.  :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
Alex - up until 2008 Hewitt was at full strength and Federer had beaten him more then 10+ times in a row by then.  :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
:rofl_2: you and I are not listening to one another. I admit, I forgot many things. anyway Hewitt was a 'transitional' champ before Fed showed up.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »
Alex - I hear you perfectly. Nole is your god and all others must worship him.  ..-)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
Alex - I hear you perfectly. Nole is your god and all others must worship him.  ..-)
OK, what the hell are we talking about now? I wouldn't say Nole is my God, but I love him. I became his fan when he was nobody back in 2006. I just like him because he's been always so goofy. maybe you should become his fan  too as Fed is probably going to retire soon  :whistle:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »
Alex - you obviously don't pay attention to the interviews. Roger said he plans to play another 3-6 years.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »
Alex - you obviously don't pay attention to the interviews. Roger said he plans to play another 3-6 years.
I was j/k. I know what he said. however, I just have this feeling that he might retire sooner... he might play next let's say 3 years but 6, lol... don't think so

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 10:40:25 AM »
OK then...guess we've all settled this topic.... :rofl_2:

It's good to talk and even disagree on tennis forums like this!  Good job to everyone!!!! :applause:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »
Roger is playing a pretty heavy schedule. Next up Dubai, then March 5th he plays an exo against Roddick at MSG, then IW/Miami! He definitely thinks that he is feeling really great and ready to play a big load of tennis!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Roger is playing a pretty heavy schedule. Next up Dubai, then March 5th he plays an exo against Roddick at MSG, then IW/Miami! He definitely thinks that he is feeling really great and ready to play a big load of tennis!
Rog has been always smart with his schedule. As I said before, I think he is at the point of his career that he cares about slams only. I'm not saying he won't do well at IW or Miami but don't think it's a big deal for him.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
i just cannot see how hewitt, roddick, safin, old agassi can be classified in the league of nadal, djokovic, murray and del potro.......

Until Murray actually win a slam, you can take him out of the mix. Del p has ONE slam - ironically - the same as.......Roddick! Lol! Hewitt has slams, Safin has slams, Agassi has 8, and how many does Murray have? Oops...none right now. So today the only 2 players who really stand out in your list are Novak and Nadal. Take them away from today's players and who the heck do you have????? Don't go on "potentials" but what they have actually DONE. If we go on potentials - heck, back in Rogers's day, Roddick, Juan Carlos, Nalbandian and others HAD potential, but injuries had a place there. Sure Murray has the game, but he may Never win a slam! The only players in this generation to win slams are Nadal, Novak and one to Del Po, so this generation has a lot to prove yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've got this wrong Dallas(Until Murray actually win a slam, you can take him out of the mix)It's the strenth in depth today,not like when Roger was on top.With the tennis player @ the top now it's so much harder to win.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »
If Roger only cares about the slams then why did he fight so hard to win Paris just a few months ago? He obviously has a tennis bucket list that he's after.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
If Roger only cares about the slams then why did he fight so hard to win Paris just a few months ago? He obviously has a tennis bucket list that he's after.
c'mon, who really cares if Rog wins another master... as much as I hate to admit when it comes to Nole, Rog and Rafa it's all about slams. let's be honest here.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »
Look squirrel Rogers eaten all his nuts :rofl_2:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
16 > 0.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »

Offline Imsda

• Tennis Player
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
I think he can. You should never count him out!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2012, 08:58:33 PM »

Fed's finding out that you can't just try to play good at slams.
You need to push all the time to keep in top shape.

Look at Nole last year and the years Fed did so well, they both put a major effort in at all tournaments.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »

http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/name/tennis/id/7658918/no-reason-rationalize-roger-federer-losses
No reason to rationalize Federer's losses
March, 7, 2012Mar 710:14PM ETEmail Print Comments0By Stephen Tignor, TENNIS.comAge 30 is a Rubicon for tennis players. Pass through that point of no return, the conventional wisdom has it, and your career can only decline. As anyone who even remotely follows the game knows, Roger Federer reached that milestone last August. Not surprisingly, coverage of the 16-time Slammer has veered away from his game and toward his seemingly inevitable retirement plans. Would he hang it up after the 2012 Olympics, or after one last Wimbledon hurrah? Would he go out in a blaze of fury after another squandered match point? Federer wasn't saying. The only thing we, fans and detractors alike, knew for sure was that this legend's prime was over.

And it is. The triple-major seasons and 81-4 records that he once made look routine aren't coming back. At the same time, though, Federer's recent run of mostly excellent play -- three straight titles to finish 2011, two more last month in Rotterdam and Dubai, and general domination of everyone other than Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, is not the behavior of a man who is contemplating a second career as Mr. Mom any time soon. After his win in Rotterdam, Federer didn't rule out playing until he's 36, la Andre Agassi.

I doubt that he'll make it quite that far; how long can you live in airplanes and hotels? But the fact that he would even mention going through the tour grind for six more years should let us know that Federer, as he has been in so many ways in the past, will likely be a special case when it comes to his golden years as a player. In fact, there's little sense so far that he thinks of himself as having entered those years, or exited his prime, at all. If anything, with the help of his coach, Paul Annacone, Federer is playing better, more efficient and complete tennis than he was in his late 20s. All of which fits with an era where tennis breakthroughs are happening later in players' careers than they ever have.

Federer, a pro's pro, has mostly avoided rationalizing his defeats as the product of old age or diminished speed; he hasn't said that he's already won enough and that there's less on the line for him now. His first response to winning his 15th Grand Slam at Wimbledon in 2009 was, essentially, "Don't put me out to pasture yet." It's time for writers and his own fans to follow suit. The retirement questions aren't asked as often these days, but when Federer loses at the majors, many in the sport wonder again if he'll ever get No. 17. It will be a struggle, no doubt, and he may need some luck to break his way. But what may be more notable than his recent defeats at the big events is how close Federer remains to winning them. He hasn't exhibited any of the increased inconsistency that you might expect from an aging champ. Even two years after his last Slam win, he's still an upset of Djokovic or Nadal away from being the favorite at any major he plays.

If Federer hasn't set his sights any lower, or begun to rationalize his losses, there's no reason for his supporters to, either. He's still in the hunt, and I doubt he'd want us to think of him any other way.

Federer already has redefined how dominant a tennis player can be at his mid-20s peak. Now we'll see if he can redefine how well one can play, and how much he can win, after that peak has passed.

Offline Nole n1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
Congratulations Federer. He was the best.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »
He IS the best.