Author Topic: Federer says confidence loss cost him major titles  (Read 2512 times)

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
Federer says confidence loss cost him major titles
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
Federer says confidence loss cost him major titles
By MICHAEL CASEY, AP Sports Writer 2 hours ago 
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) Roger Federer suspects he knows why he hasn't been able to add to his record 16 Grand Slam titles the last two years.
The Swiss great last won a major championship at the 2010 Australian Open. He insists this has nothing to do with a declining game but "a bit of confidence not on my side and on my opponent's side."
"I've had some tough losses over the past couple of years," Federer said, without referring to any specific matches.
Federer is ranked No. 3 and is joined in the field by No. 1 Novak Djokovic and No. 4 Andy Murray for the Dubai Championships, which start Monday.
Having broken Pete Sampras' mark of 14 Grand Slam singles titles, Federer missed breaking the American's 286-week reign at No. 1 by a single week.
"It would be great having that record but my life is very much OK without it, too," Federer said. "Pete is a good friend and was an amazing champion for our game. I don't need to break every record he has. I came so close and I could have chased it if I had wanted to. I didn't choose to."
Federer still believes he can return to No. 1, however, noting that he has won three titles in the past four months the most recent in Rotterdam this month.
"I feel if I play really well until the U.S. Open, then obviously there is a shot. But then again there is a shot for about 10 players," Federer said. "I am aware I'm not the only one. But I feel like I'm on a good run right now. I've won a lot of tournaments in a short time, which gives me a lot of confidence."
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

As if we didn't already know that ! ! !
The world awaits no genius

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Federer says confidence loss cost him major titles
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
well, I like Fed more nowadays then before. I think he is being more honest. the whole confidence thing is a strange thing as tennis is such an individual sport. I'm sure that all players have to fight within themselves in a way.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »
lol  We so nailed this one!!

Maybe his "real" fans (cough cough), who are so eager to put him out to pasture, will believe that there's nothing to the myth about his game being in decline when it comes straight from Federer's mouth rather than from objective non-fans.

Doubt it  :rofl_2:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
Babble - if anything YOU were eager to put him out to pasture before his latest title run.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:14:04 AM »
You don't read anything I post.

After you guys broke up with him, I was still saying he will likely win a Wimbledon or US Open. I said he likely would have won the 2011 USO had he not panicked against Nole in the semis implying that, IMO, he likely would have beaten Rafa in the final.

I hadn't thrown him under the bus like his real fans (cough cough) had.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »
Federer lost major titles cos other's played better than him.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »
Federer lost major titles cos other's played better than him.
yup, it's very simple

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »

After you guys broke up with him, I was still saying he will likely win a Wimbledon or US Open. I said he likely would have won the 2011 USO had he not panicked against Nole in the semis implying that, IMO, he likely would have beaten Rafa in the final.

You're making it out as if though you're not a fan you still believe in him and that we just love him because he wins. Its a pretty way to hide the snake. Really we reprimand Federer because we love him and seeing him loose hurts and that means we're true fans and not a guy like you who has taken a vantage point with no real player to back but rather to mock the fervid adherents of any tennis player and in the process hide yourself behind some rather numb players and trade aspersions because you know no one can hit back.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:34:59 PM by medwatt »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
You're an idiot, medwatt. You're like a hysterical little school girl with her pants on fire when Roger loses. You haven't been around long enough to know who I've followed for years.
But I've managed to pull it off with my dignity in tact, you ridiculous little school girl.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
how can a player who won 16 majors lose his confidence. I really get annoyed by Rog's stupid interviews. Rog, shut the fu.ck up.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

You're making it out as if though you're not a fan you still believe in him and that we just love him because he wins. Its a pretty way to hide the snake. Really we reprimand Federer because we love him and seeing him loose hurts and that means we're true fans and not a guy like you who has taken a vantage point with no real player to back but rather to mock the fervid adherents of any tennis player and in the process hide yourself behind some rather numb players and trade aspersions because you know no one can hit back.
Med, I'm sure you are a nice girl, but for God's sake some of you Fed fans get so crazy and fanatical.  Everon here knows I'm a huge Nole fan but I have never worshiped him like you guys with Fed. I mean, read your post again.... it hurts when Fed loses, wtf hutrs...Fed is getting older. he is still a great player but I don't think he'll win any more slams. DEAL WITH IT.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »
on the other hand, I found this great video with Nole and Roger from Dubai. I hope you guys will enjoy  :)
Federer, Djokovic Visit Burj Al Arab

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »

Med, I'm sure you are a nice girl, but for God's sake some of you Fed fans get so crazy and fanatical.  Everon here knows I'm a huge Nole fan but I have never worshiped him like you guys with Fed. I mean, read your post again.... it hurts when Fed loses, wtf hutrs...Fed is getting older. he is still a great player but I don't think he'll win any more slams. DEAL WITH IT.
Because Nole is not equal to Fed. The answer was right there. The problem is you simply can't accept certain facts. Its like the Jesus Christ concept. You have to accept he is the one. Get it. Get it.

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
You're an idiot, medwatt. You're like a hysterical little school girl with her pants on fire when Roger loses. You haven't been around long enough to know who I've followed for years.
But I've managed to pull it off with my dignity in tact, you ridiculous little school girl.
Thanks for your adulation, Mr. Pants.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »

Because Nole is not equal to Fed. The answer was right there. The problem is you simply can't accept certain facts. Its like the Jesus Christ concept. You have to accept he is the one. Get it. Get it.
sure let's fight now about who is bigger and better. you are really being silly. I'm perfectly aware of Rog's accomplishments but you really need to get over  yourself. there is a reason why Djokovic is #1 in the world. again, you may not like it but it is what is. you also don't know how many slams will Novak win. all I'm saying is try not be so blind. and NO he is NOT the one. BORG IS THE ONE.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:51:21 PM by Alex »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »

Federer, Djokovic Visit Burj Al Arab

Man they're both SO DAMN skinny. Ridiculous. And Djokovic definitely has in my opinion probably the best tennis-player physique, I was amazed when he took his shirt off at the end of the AO, no-homo, he's now my role model as far as building a physique goes.

Just a word, federer fans will be federer fans because we love him and to make fun of that ALL THE F***ING time like some of you do coughBabcough gets irritating.  You might find that Roger saying he lost confidence is silly but at that level that's probably exactly what it is as well and if you think you are a better judge of tennis and what these players go through, more power to you. But fans will be fans and haters will be haters. Nothing I say will change that. k, bye.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:18:32 PM by pawan89 »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »
Federer revolutionized the game, Nole has revolutionized tennis fitness.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »
yeah, I can go with that. interesting post  :)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 01:00:05 AM »
yeah, I can go with that. interesting post  :)

IMO Nole only took it to one level. The game was revolutionized with Borg's endurance. you guys are talking like kids  :)~  And besides, I always thought that it was Rafa and Fed who brought in the physical endurance thing the past decade. Nole had to work hard so that he could play like THEM over 5 sets. Its another story that he is now better than them (although I still believe that Rafa has better endurance even now).

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »

federer never revolutionized anything.......just like sampras he did his winning with textbook tennis.......he is lucky to have entered in the time frame he did.......if at all he did anything, he popularized tennis with the help of media and his nemesis rafael nadal.......

nadal is the one that revolutionized the way of winning.......he proved that one can be a GOAT without textbook tennis.......djokovic is just following suit......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS