Author Topic: Federer says confidence loss cost him major titles  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Federer says confidence loss cost him major titles
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »
I believe all those statements should have been proceeded by "I THINK...."  because it's all opinions and everyone's opinion can be different.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »
I believe all those statements should have been proceeded by "I THINK...."  because it's all opinions and everyone's opinion can be different.

Didn't I say IMO first?????  :)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »
Federer revolutionized the game, Nole has revolutionized tennis fitness.

federer never revolutionized anything.......just like sampras he did his winning with textbook tennis.......he is lucky to have entered in the time frame he did.......if at all he did anything, he popularized tennis with the help of media and his nemesis rafael nadal.......

nadal is the one that revolutionized the way of winning.......he proved that one can be a GOAT without textbook tennis.......djokovic is just following suit......

Rafa is the unorthodox player in the bunch, but I'm not sure we can say he will revolutionize the sport. I don't see him having much of an impact on future generations because his game is so unique. For that matter, you might as well say Santoro revolutionized the game. Unique? Yes. Unorthodox? Yes. Did his style of play impact future generations. No. Therefore, he didn't revolutionize the sport.

Lendl and Navratilova revolutionized the sport with their fitness training. The sport hasn't been the same. That's how you revolutionize a sport.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »
We all kind of lack confidences while playing in matches with the exception of Djokovic that is!  He just rolls with the sets.  He knows at the end that he will win so why worry?

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:26 AM »
I'd say Federer is THE revolutionary player because he was the first to combine awesome power with awesome finesse, both functioning at the highest levels simultaneously. He was THE complete player and set the template for everyone else to follow.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:51 AM »
Interesting how the thread has devolved into a discussion over who revolutionized the game instead of talking about the importance of a player having confidence in their game.

Any thoughts as to why Rogi may have stopped believing in himself despite his accomplishments?  He seems to think he still has 'game' and his current ranking and performance would seem to indicate that. 

Does he fear Nole & Nadal now?
Is that the cause for a lack of confidence?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »
Interesting how the thread has devolved into a discussion over who revolutionized the game instead of talking about the importance of a player having confidence in their game.

Any thoughts as to why Rogi may have stopped believing in himself despite his accomplishments?  He seems to think he still has 'game' and his current ranking and performance would seem to indicate that. 

it's simple......nadal and djokovic did not bend over like roddick, hewitt and co. of the weak era......no surprise that he lost the last 4 out of 5 slams only to nadal and djokovic......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27:26 AM »
In relation to the topic at hand, I've never thought of Andy (not Murray) or Hewitt as lacking in confidence.

After early wins against both Nole & Rafa, what shift caused the purpoted decline in Fed's confidence?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »
as much as I appreciate everything he has achieved I still think that the fact that Nadal is literally owning him will hunt down  him to the rest of his life. guys say it's not that important but  it is. you can call Fed the GOAT but I don't think so. 

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
Enter swish, he's got the official criteria needed on one's resume.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 09:08:57 PM »
as much as I appreciate everything he has achieved I still think that the fact that Nadal is literally owning him will hunt down  him to the rest of his life. guys say it's not that important but  it is. you can call Fed the GOAT but I don't think so.
That cannot be discounted.
I know it would eat me alive if I were a candidate for top dog.
Try as he might, he has yet to solve that riddle.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »

First, I have to say.. We are talking as if Djokovic has been consistently owning Fed for the last 4 years... As I recall, Djokovic had an awesome year (2011), but that is all there is... I  mean, SF at USO? Fed had 2 match points, one saved by an unreal shot by Djokovic... Fed beat him at RG.. What I mean to say, is that I think Federer likes his chances vs. Djokovic, he knows he might win or lose, but he might favor his chances.. It is not like Djokovic has been handling him multiple baggels...

Djokovic and Nadal are too different stories for Federer... While Djokovic is the man to beat right now, the matchup between Fed and Djokovic is something completely different than Fed vs. Nadal...

Do I think Fed has lost some confidence?? I trully believe so.. I have always stated this in the past.. But I think most of his lack of confidence has to come off from his friend and rival Nadal.. No other.. The fact that he has right now 16 GS, that JUST ONE GUY has the "·formula" to beat him consistently, the fact that evertyime he plays Nadal (in any surface) he feels he has to risk every forehand/backhand because he feels he hasn't found any formula for the high bouncing forehand to his one handed backhand, the fact that Nadal is the only one that has CONSISTENTLY BEEN BEATING FED in  his entire career is something that for anyone (we are all humans) could count as disheartening. Even if you are a 16 GS champion, this gets to you whether you like it or not, how can you counter-punch this big flaw? How come have I not found a way to win in the last 5-6 years? What more can I do to beat this guy? and suddenly you find yourself playing some 50th ranked atp player and won't be able to focus. And in his mind will be "has somebody else been able to come up with the same formula as Rafa?"...

ALL THIS IMHO :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 10:15:27 AM »
Enter swish, he's got the official criteria needed on one's resume.

You have to look at how things go against the whole field.
That's how slams are won and no one does it better than Fed.

Then you have to look at the #1 ranking, Fed has held this for so long and compiled it on Nadal's watch.

It may concern Fed but better to have just one guy bothering him.
To have different players beating you shows a weakness in the game.

There eventually may be a better player but no one playing now has much of a chance to take that position.  :)>>>>

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »

First, I have to say.. We are talking as if Djokovic has been consistently owning Fed for the last 4 years... As I recall, Djokovic had an awesome year (2011), but that is all there is... I  mean, SF at USO? Fed had 2 match points, one saved by an unreal shot by Djokovic... Fed beat him at RG.. What I mean to say, is that I think Federer likes his chances vs. Djokovic, he knows he might win or lose, but he might favor his chances.. It is not like Djokovic has been handling him multiple baggels...

Djokovic and Nadal are too different stories for Federer... While Djokovic is the man to beat right now, the matchup between Fed and Djokovic is something completely different than Fed vs. Nadal...

Do I think Fed has lost some confidence?? I trully believe so.. I have always stated this in the past.. But I think most of his lack of confidence has to come off from his friend and rival Nadal.. No other.. The fact that he has right now 16 GS, that JUST ONE GUY has the "·formula" to beat him consistently, the fact that evertyime he plays Nadal (in any surface) he feels he has to risk every forehand/backhand because he feels he hasn't found any formula for the high bouncing forehand to his one handed backhand, the fact that Nadal is the only one that has CONSISTENTLY BEEN BEATING FED in  his entire career is something that for anyone (we are all humans) could count as disheartening. Even if you are a 16 GS champion, this gets to you whether you like it or not, how can you counter-punch this big flaw? How come have I not found a way to win in the last 5-6 years? What more can I do to beat this guy? and suddenly you find yourself playing some 50th ranked atp player and won't be able to focus. And in his mind will be "has somebody else been able to come up with the same formula as Rafa?"...

ALL THIS IMHO :)
kinda getting tired of this story 'Fed having match points and losing". HE LOST, lol. get it? no ifs or buts. as for Rafa and Fed, same old story... I still don't understand why some guys here get excited when they play. so silly, Rafa keeps pounding Rog's BH. Rafa wins, the end of story. sure Rog managed to win some indoor tournaments but whatever...

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
Alex - relax your guy is #1 by a big margin.  :cool:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 01:00:50 PM »
Alex - relax your guy is #1 by a big margin.  :cool:
well, I'm happy as a Nole fan, for sure. it's just that this whole Fedal thing is driving me crazy sometimes.  :)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
well, I'm happy as a Nole fan, for sure. it's just that this whole Fedal thing is driving me crazy sometimes.  :)

How do you think I felt as a Federer fan last year when Nadovic was dominating the headlines and winning all the big titles? Besides Nole is coming off the AO win, so he's still THE man right now. I know that greedy feeling as a fan, you want your guy to win every f**king title. :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »

How do you think I felt as a Federer fan last year when Nadovic was dominating the headlines and winning all the big titles? Besides Nole is coming off the AO win, so he's still THE man right now. I know that greedy feeling as a fan, you want your guy to win every f**king title. :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
I know. it's just you Fed fans have to except the fact that Rog is slowing down. It's great that he won Dubai. I've been with Nole since like forever but Nole will slow down too at some point. It's the way life is.  :)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
I know. it's just you Fed fans have to except the fact that Rog is slowing down. It's great that he won Dubai. I've been with Nole since like forever but Nole will slow down too at some point. It's the way life is.  :)

Allow me to revel in one last golden period for Roger before his final decline whenever that is.  ://

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »

Allow me to revel in one last golden period for Roger before his final decline whenever that is.  ://

:rofl_2: I'm with you!!!!! ://