Instructional Tennis > Instructional Tennis

How much weight do i need to gain?

(1/2) > >>

Wilson:
I'm about 115lbs right now at 5'3 how much would i need to gain to hit a little harder, run a little faster.

ImaMadGoat:
Scott is probably the one you should be talking to if you're only 5' 3"  :whistle:

Because you're a smaller person you need to rely on your feet to carry your game. Scott defies the norm by playing a serve and volley style, but most people that aren't so tall play the game of a scrapper. That is, someone who gets every single ball back in play. A defensive player (see Lleyton Hewitt) is somewhat of an advantage. They tend to get under the skin of more agressive players and usually cause them to crack. You must be able to play a steady game and must be extremely consistent.

You can bulk up to add some power to your shots, but you want to train every muscle in your body with tennis in mind. Run the lines, lunges, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, ect. You want to train for strenght and endurance, not mass. Remember it's easier to move when you're not carrying around a lot of extra poundage. You can create your own drills and workouts with tennis in mind. I have picked some up from some coaches and teaching pros. There's a link on the main page of Tennis4You.

Good luck.

Tennis4you:
I am 5'-4" and I weight 135, I would rather be 130.  I lifted a lot of weights through high school.  But usually us smaller guys will never be big power players.  That is not to say you cannot hit the hell out of the ball though.

You didn't give us your age so that could make a difference too.  Gainign weight in muscle mass is never a bad idea for tennis to a certain extent.  I honestly feel it will help your game.  

I am onl;y an inch taller than you and I have heard many many many times I am the fastest person they have ever seen on the court.  That is great and all, but when I am 75 I will be slow with no reach.  :)

thejackal:
Heh, I hit with the daughter of the coach who strings my racket (till I get my machine) today.   She's my age (16), 5'2"ish and maybe 100lb, but I swear she was outpowering me on groundstrokes.  She'd prolly kick my ass 0 and 1 if we played.

timd818:

--- Quote from: "Tennis4you" ---I am 5'-4" and I weight 135, I would rather be 130.  I lifted a lot of weights through high school.  But usually us smaller guys will never be big power players.  That is not to say you cannot hit the hell out of the ball though.
--- End quote ---

Er....that's not all totally true. I'm 5'5", 135lbs and I can hit everyone in my group(5.5 or the A's level) off the court. It's in the technique. If you want to hit the ball harder, try hitting it on the rise. Your timing have to be perfect though. My stroke is pretty long because I put all my weight into my shots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version