Author Topic: ATP INDIAN WELLS -1000 (3/5-3/18/2012)  (Read 10424 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
ATP INDIAN WELLS -1000 (3/5-3/18/2012)
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »
I'm not saying that clay is not good for Roger. He is good on it. I'm saying that it is Not his BEST surface. Seems like overall it has to be hardcourts, and right now I would say it is indoor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Re: ATP INDIAN WELLS -1000 (3/5-3/18/2012)
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »
Federer is the indoor king, the GOAT on hardcourts, 2nd GOAT on grass and top 10 on clay.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 12:47:12 AM »
Convince me that clay is a bad surface for Roger.

sid, convince me that Murray belongs in this discussion. Don't be so peevish every time you think I'm sleighting your boy.  :frowny face:

:rofl_2:  Yes, I would love to hear some of it too...

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »
Federer is the indoor king, the GOAT on hardcourts, 2nd GOAT on grass and top 10 on clay.

Prolly top 5 all-time, and just one other is active! So please, folks, spare the rest of us your bemoaning about Roger's prowess on clay simply because he can't beat the GOAT.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2012, 09:10:39 AM »
It's simply a defense mechanism for the fanboys developed over years of thrashing at the hands of a certain Spaniard..... ;-()

Incidentally, I wouldn't put Fed on the list for top 10 greats on clay though he does quite well on the surface.  My benchmark being clay Slam titles. :gleam:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 09:55:21 AM »
OK...getting BACK to the actual topic....

Schedule for today:

Smyczek vs Sam Querrey

R. Harrison v Cipolla

Ivo v Kubot

Ramos v Levine

Mahut v Pospisil

Seppi v Rochus

Sock v Giraldo

Hasse v Andujar

Garcia-Lopez v Machado

Kohlschreiber v Bachinger

Sela v Delic

Golubev v De Voest

Bogomolov v Stakhovsky

Gil v Williams

Ebden v Kunitsyn

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »

& he is the GOAT of the flying pigs today as well. :whistle:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »

& he is the GOAT of the flying pigs today as well. :whistle:
haha Sid. that was a good one.  :rofl_2:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 03:20:08 AM »
Convince me that clay is a bad surface for Roger.

sid, convince me that Murray belongs in this discussion. Don't be so peevish every time you think I'm sleighting your boy.  :frowny face:

I don't feel i need to convince anyone on this,ok try this.Rankings if we look @
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx
tells us that the top 4 have been ahead of all others & had a big gap for ages now.Who outside the top 4 wins Masters?i will tell you,next to know one outside the top four.Murray on his better days can sometimes beat Fed/Nole or Nadal,please tell me who else can do this like Murray?i'd love to know.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »
Harrison through by 6-1 6-2.

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
From a Nadal Presser:

Rafa Nadal has lost his last seven matches against world number one Novak Djokovic but the Spaniard denies that he has a burning obsession to beat the Serb.

The pair last met in January's Australian Open final when Djokovic clinched the title for a third time with an epic 5-7 6-4 6-2 6-7 7-5 victory that lasted almost six hours.
While Nadal enjoys a 16-14 career advantage over the Serb, he has been beaten on all types of surfaces in their past seven encounters, all of them in finals.
"I say it always the same, I want to improve for me," world number two Nadal said while preparing for the Indian Wells ATP tournament in the California desert.
"I don't want to improve to beat Novak, to beat Roger (Federer) or to beat nobody. I try my best every day to improve my level of tennis, to be a better player year by year.

So whats the point of improving if your goal is not to beat Djokovic, Federer, Murray etc if you happened to be Nadal. This is just speech which makes no sense in the English language. I feel that all Nadal's interview should be done in his native language otherwise this is the result. Ha. You want to improve and your plan is not to beat anybody. What is that ?

The world awaits no genius

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »
He can't control the result.
He can only control his own actions.
The goal is to be the best player he can be.
If someone else is better on a given day, so be it.
Ultimate preparation and surpreme effort.
That's all that can be asked of anyone in any endeavor.

To get wrapped up in some mind-game of trying to beat a particular player will only detract from his ability to play his best tennis.  The focus shifts from playing his best tennis to trying to beat a particular opponent.  Certainly a plan to fail.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:37:04 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
From a Nadal Presser:

Rafa Nadal has lost his last seven matches against world number one Novak Djokovic but the Spaniard denies that he has a burning obsession to beat the Serb.

The pair last met in January's Australian Open final when Djokovic clinched the title for a third time with an epic 5-7 6-4 6-2 6-7 7-5 victory that lasted almost six hours.
While Nadal enjoys a 16-14 career advantage over the Serb, he has been beaten on all types of surfaces in their past seven encounters, all of them in finals.
"I say it always the same, I want to improve for me," world number two Nadal said while preparing for the Indian Wells ATP tournament in the California desert.
"I don't want to improve to beat Novak, to beat Roger (Federer) or to beat nobody. I try my best every day to improve my level of tennis, to be a better player year by year.

So whats the point of improving if your goal is not to beat Djokovic, Federer, Murray etc if you happened to be Nadal. This is just speech which makes no sense in the English language. I feel that all Nadal's interview should be done in his native language otherwise this is the result. Ha. You want to improve and your plan is not to beat anybody. What is that ?

These are questions that get under your skin in the worst way.

And it's not over yet, more beatings may be on the way and possibly a bad one.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
From a Nadal Presser:

med, you do have a good point here. I'm not sure if something was lost in translation but Rafa is being a bit silly lately. He's been simply ignoring what's happening. I realize it's hard to lose 7 finals to the same player but he's been a bit delusional.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »
He's choosing to stay the course which will ultimately produce the best possible results.  If his focus shifts from improving his game to some sort of half-baked preparation for beating a particular player, he will experience a swift fall from his current perch.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
From a Nadal Presser:

med, you do have a good point here. I'm not sure if something was lost in translation but Rafa is being a bit silly lately. He's been simply ignoring what's happening. I realize it's hard to lose 7 finals to the same player but he's been a bit delusional.

Well shouldn't he? I mean, if he keeps crying over his losses or tailoring his game only to beat Nole, he will start losing to other players as well. He is doing well to just keep improving, he is right in saying that Nole cannot stay at the top forever. Rafa will get his chance for sure.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2012, 12:37:21 PM »
From a Nadal Presser:

Well shouldn't he? I mean, if he keeps crying over his losses or tailoring his game only to beat Nole, he will start losing to other players as well. He is doing well to just keep improving, he is right in saying that Nole cannot stay at the top forever. Rafa will get his chance for sure.

"Nole can not stay at the top forever"... Well it may not be Rafa to overtake him.  Remember, Rafa was at the top already....who is to say he has already reached his peak?  Just saying that because Nole may not stay there is no guarantee that Rafa will take back over.  But I do agree that you shouldn't change your game to beat "ONE" player.  I think that was probably Roddick's downfall.  He changed his game to try to be Roger, and now he's getting beat by just about everyone!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
^^ Dallas, Rafa may not be the replacement, but someone else sure will.  :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
^^ Dallas, Rafa may not be the replacement, but someone else sure will.  :)

There will ALWAYS be a "someone else" - that's why we've had different #1 players! :))

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
I guess in his statement "to be the best of myself" does not mean I are not going to add nothing to my game. I doubt that he tries to find the way to beat Djokovic, but he does not want to tell you. So he turns a coner and leave you to image.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:24:40 PM by williamchung7 »