Author Topic: How Andy Murray will get to the top  (Read 10401 times)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
How Andy Murray will get to the top
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »
Patrick Mouratoglou is a renowned tennis coach who runs the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy in Paris. He is an occasional contributor on Busted Racquet.

Without a doubt we are now living an era where the top four is the strongest of the history of the game and if my observations of Andy Murray are correct, he could see the biggest changes between now and the end of the year.

At the 2012 Australian Open, whose final was epic between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, I had the chance to commentate the semifinal between Djokovic and Murray. I found this match thrilling and instructive. It confirmed the trend I had been seeing for a few months.

The media has been talking a lot about the collaboration of Murray with Ivan Lendl, who has been through the same failing-in-Slams situation as Andy before winning eight of them. Their similarities have been reported a lot. As far as I'm concerned, as I now see them working, I'm finding this duo very interesting because it seems Lendl really has the qualities that Murray lacks. This is the next step.

Andy Murray is a prodigy. If he's not as creative as Roger Federer on court, he still has the same kind of talent regarding his ball touch, his variety of shots, the way he can speed up the game and how loose he is. He's also a remarkable counterpuncher, can cover the court well and has maybe one of the three best returns on tour. If you add all of these abilities, it's tough not to picture him at the top. Yet, he's now ranked fourth. Why?

Until this decision of hiring Lendl, the Scotsman had never really made decisions in order to reverse course. Until then, he was accepting of the situation without taking control. By hiring Lendl, he's sent a strong and clear message.

During the semifinal against Djokovic, Andy was really impressive. For three sets he was, in my opinion, dominant. He lost the first probably because he respected the opponent too much. Then in the second and third sets, he got down physically. Two things struck me during this match : When Murray is physically at his best and when he's playing without fear, he's better than Djokovic in all the sides of the game. Both have similar facets: good serve, outstanding return, counterpunching on the baseline, refusing to move back, covering the ground with ease. I found Nole has no real solution against Andy. But Grand Slams can go to five sets and the Serbian was more solid in his capacity to keep the intensity all along. I can't imagine Ivan Lendl missing that "detail" and I also think that with his usual dedication (quality and quantity) he will be the one to solve the issue.

Tennis wise, it has been said again and again that Murray was lacking a guideline, purpose, and also that he was relying too much on his talent. Climbing to the top requires commitment and so an absolute respect of the strategies that have been set up. Since January, I've noticing some adjustments on his game, like the way he's more moving forward on the opposent second serves. Trying to take the lead by coming more inside the court and by taking the ball earlier is already a first step towards more victories. During the points, Andy dominates more and has more authority when he's having offensive chances. On this too, Lendl seems to be able to help. He's a man of commitment. He will help Murray to play with more confidence and more temper. Murray's game is rich but can get lost into too much thoughts.

Finally, Andy can still have issues when it comes to putting away matches. In Melbourne, he lost the first set despite dominating. He came back to 5-5 in the fifth set but lost. In Dubai, he won over Djokovic, who was totally out of his game, but let the Serbian come back in the second set when the match should have already been long put away. Those hesitations could make him pay a heavy price in the big matches and against players who often beat him.

Lendl knows these kinds of situations and his self confidence could be shared with Murray. And Andy might get a lot of wins in events like Dubai against the best players and it will matters during matches where a lot is at stake. If he gets a good record against the other members of the top four, it could free him from any complex in Slams.

I think Andy Murray is on the right track in order to get his name on the trophy of a major. It is now a question of time. He needs to be given some, because all the great things take time. I feel he could end this 2012 year with one of them and a ranking of No. 2.

Offline Nole nš1

• Tennis Pro
Re: How Andy Murray will get to the top
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »
Andy Murray is a fantastic player. He goes to win a Grand Slam

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »
Good topic Sid.
I believe it's possible.
Of the top 4, he's the player I like the best overall.
But that's not saying much really. :\
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »
I think Andy can do it but it won't be easy. the best thing is that he is on the right path, plus he seems to be more dedicated than ever before. yes, unlike before at slams he played a very close match with Nole. He improved so much.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
this was a interesting veiw by Patrick Mouratoglou,don't shoot me Alex.
When Murray is physically at his best and when he's playing without fear, he's better than Djokovic in all the sides of the game. Both have similar facets: good serve, outstanding return, counterpunching on the baseline, refusing to move back, covering the ground with ease. I found Nole has no real solution against Andy
With Ivan Lendl i think Murray will go on @ last now & start to reach his real goals in the game of tennis.As Patrick Mouratoglou says,the top four is the strongest of the history of the game.Come Clay & near RG Murray just might be a force with what Lendl going to be working on.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:51:11 PM »
this was a interesting veiw by Patrick Mouratoglou,don't shoot me Alex.
When Murray is physically at his best and when he's playing without fear, he's better than Djokovic in all the sides of the game. Both have similar facets: good serve, outstanding return, counterpunching on the baseline, refusing to move back, covering the ground with ease. I found Nole has no real solution against Andy
With Ivan Lendl i think Murray will go on @ last now & start to reach his real goals in the game of tennis.As Patrick Mouratoglou says,the top four is the strongest of the history of the game.Come Clay & near RG Murray just might be a force with what Lendl going to be working on.

everything else i can agree with, but Murray refusing to move back? since when?

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:43 AM »
I think Andy can do it but it won't be easy. the best thing is that he is on the right path, plus he seems to be more dedicated than ever before. yes, unlike before at slams he played a very close match with Nole. He improved so much.

It's never going to be easy for any in the top 4,but i think he's on the right path.Djokovic & Murray i think will be one & two by the end of this year.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 02:05:15 AM »
this was a interestinviewiw by Patrick Mouratoglou,don't shoot me Alex.

everything else i can agree with, but Murray refusing to move back? since when?

Pawan your have to take that up with Patrick Mouratoglou :rofl_2: but he does stand nearer base line now days,all tennis players can be pushed back,but Murray's forehand is a weapon bigger than before.Also i think he standing different when hitting his shots,Pawan have another look @ Murray's game.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:46:37 AM by sid »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 04:02:39 AM »
Personally, I have said a lot of time he has the shot, but he just cannot make it when he needs most. The only I can say is that he need to overcome his weak mental strength. This year is crucial year for himself since he decided to change in last year.

Sometimes, I think if he has 30% of Hewitt toughness, he should win slam already.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:04:45 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 04:41:40 AM »
William these next to Masters,i think will help to find out where Murray is,in tennis terms.3 Finals this year & winning one is better than last year @ this point in time.Of the to Masters i think Murray will do better @ Miami,Indian Wells he does not have as good record @ in past years.Murray can't drop any Ranking points @ both these Masters,so the pressure is off him,he could make a lot of points & make a move towards those above him in Rankings.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
well Sid, ranking wise I think Andy will be OK. he will still need to find a way to win his first slam and go from there. I really support him, so much. he is my #2 at the moment (after Nole, of course).

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 06:59:10 AM »
the only way Andy Murray will get to the top is when the top 3 retire simultaneously.. :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

kidding,, murray's a consistent player when we consider the earlier rounds..but he tends to chokes heavily during SF & F. ( both majors & masters )..his physical condition is good..its only the mental blockage he keeps having..& i am impressed by his attitude towards the game in 2012 !!
no more frequent cussing..no brat-like attitude..Llendl's effect obvious !! :) :)

i predict he'll reach atleast 1 Major final this year !! :)
good luck andy ! :)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 07:00:52 AM »
the only way Andy Murray will get to the top is when the top 3 retire simultaneously.. :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

kidding,, murray's a consistent player when we consider the earlier rounds..but he tends to chokes heavily during SF & F. ( both majors & masters )..his physical condition is good..its only the mental blockage he keeps having..&
btw..i am impressed by his attitude towards the game in 2012 !!
no more frequent cussing..no brat-like attitude..Llendl's effect obvious !! :) :)

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »

Andy needs to work on his serve, especially second serve. I thought he is playing pretty well and is getting closer every day. A win against Djokovic, Rafa or Fed in a grandslam is what he needs to take that next big step.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »

kidding,, murray's a consistent player when we consider the earlier rounds..but he tends to chokes heavily during SF & F. ( both majors & masters )..his physical condition is good..its only the mental blockage he keeps having..& i am impressed by his attitude towards the game in 2012 !!

ashwin your taking like Murray never won any Masters :confused1: i'm sure many true tennis fans here could tell you.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
Ashwin,since 2008 till now,Murray has won 2 Masters titles each year,that's 8 in all,WTF & you call it a choke.Lol Murray's only won 22 Singles Career Titles so far,do you watch tennis??before anyone jumps on me,i think Ashwin has asked for this. ..-)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »
William these next to Masters,i think will help to find out where Murray is,in tennis terms.3 Finals this year & winning one is better than last year @ this point in time.Of the to Masters i think Murray will do better @ Miami,Indian Wells he does not have as good record @ in past years.Murray can't drop any Ranking points @ both these Masters,so the pressure is off him,he could make a lot of points & make a move towards those above him in Rankings.
Murray makes you down again, Sid.....
It is totally unaccpetable that he is out in 1st round again in Indian Wells.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:29:41 PM by williamchung7 »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 12:54:28 AM »
More like, how will Murray get to the top putting so much air under his FH. I'd give him half a chance if he didn't brush over the ball and had the courage to flatten the ball.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 01:38:03 AM »
oops my bad..he does has a strong foothold when it comes to masters..what i meant to say was he chokes at moments when he shouldn't be choking..remember 2010, 2011 Indian wells & miami ?? heck, i'd say he definately didn't look like world no.4 today against garcia-lopez..& btw..acc. to stats, he usually performs at best at masters post wimbledon..
i don't think frequent chokes like this would help him in anyway to reach no.1 !

Offline Nole nš1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:58 AM »
Andy Murray is a good player.