Author Topic: How Andy Murray will get to the top  (Read 9246 times)

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
Re: How Andy Murray will get to the top
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
Murray will win a GS

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 11:51:36 AM »
very good points Dallas. agree with everything you said. I remember how crazy and emotional young Roger and young Djokovic used to be. somehow they have managed to calm down. they show very little emotion on the court nowadays. Murray needs to learn how to control himself.

This is interesting. Roger was more like Murray in the show of frustration but young Djokovic used to be a lot more bold/mischevious and immature in a way - I mean that in a good sense actually. More resembling Safin than someone serious. Djokovic, unlike young Roger or Murray could have been accused of having too much fun. And in fact over the last two-three years Djokovic has gotten more serious, about this preparation and his game, even during his games. Maybe for Murray it's the other way?

Another thing is both Roger and Djokovic have for a long time done a lot of fun stuff outside of their matches/tournaments, whether it be charities or impersonations or fun hits with kids and exhibitions or walks on the Burj etc..  does Murray have anything to take his mind off things? Maybe part of the solution lies in just living in the moment, forget about winning grandslams - just keep playing the best you can and keep improving - but also focus on creating your own legacy in a way. You know? Let go and have fun a bit, do something for the sport, pick up a few hobbies... if he has to end his career without a grandslam does he really want to go down as a player who just struggled to win and nothing more, or would he rather be a player who was really good and did a lot of things and made an impression on the game but unfortunately couldn't win a big one. I don't know, just a thought. There shouldn't be an unhealthy-obsession with winning a grand-slam, that can't help you. that'll only lead to pressure and expectations beyond one can handle.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
I think some of you need mental health treatment,it's a game of tennis for christ sake lol.When Anderson beat Nole i guess Nole needed  :rofl_2: mental health treatment,i can pick players for Roger & Nadal if you like :whistle:

I was just pulling this poster's leg Sid. Murray is fantastic and he is doing all things right at the moment. Just the things required to win slams  :)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
Murray will win a GS
you are my new hero.  :)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
GGL beat Nadal on a hardcourt in Bangkok 2010,funny Murray won here that year :whistle:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »
GGL beat Nadal on a hardcourt in Bangkok 2010,funny Murray won here that year :whistle:
sh!t happens. I didn't see the match, so I can really comment. GGL is a very dangerous player and on a good day he can beat anybody. I'm sure that Andy will do well in Miami  :)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »
sh!t happens. I didn't see the match, so I can really comment. GGL is a very dangerous player and on a good day he can beat anybody. I'm sure that Andy will do well in Miami  :)

Also Andy has his pad in Miami :rofl_2: i just wonder if he wanted to be @ his home.sh!t does happen,just take the drug cheet v Roger lol,i will let someone here tell me who that was :innocent: i will give a clue it was in a Masters not once but Twice :zipped:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:53:19 PM by sid »

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »

You are boring.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »

You are boring.

Shut up,you must be a Fed fan.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »
Guillermo Canas

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »
Guillermo Canas

He was a good player

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »
Guillermo Canas

He was a good player

Personally I couldn't stand Canas!  Brings back too many painful memories :wicked:

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
Guillermo Canas

He was a good player

Personally I couldn't stand Canas!  Brings back too many painful memories :wicked:

I understand. He already eliminated Federer in many major tournaments.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »
Guillermo Canas

He was a good player

You got that right! :))  Very good!

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »
Guillermo Canas

He was a good player

You got that right! :))  Very good!

Thanks.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »
i sense something creepy......hope it's not fedfanforever......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
i sense something creepy......hope it's not fedfanforever......

I too.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Re: How Andy Murray will get to the top - Update on Andy's Progress!
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »
WSJ article on this very topic!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304636404577291470637871782.html#printMode

Cracking Tennis's Inner Circle
Stuck at No. 4 for four straight years, Andy Murray is as talented and dedicated as Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. So why can't he beat them? With Ivan Lendl's help, he's working on it. By Tom Perrotta.
Article Video Comments (1) more in Tennis | Find New ».
Email Print Save ↓ More .
.smaller Larger 
By TOM PERROTTA

Andy Murray of Great Britain
.Andy Murray has waited. And waited. And waited.

In the last decade, tennis has taken a series of astounding leaps. First came Roger Federer, seemingly the perfect player, an athlete so sublime that he made blowouts look beautiful. Then came Rafael Nadal, the man who tormented that perfect player. Now Novak Djokovic, the world No. 1 and winner of the last three Grand Slam titles, has passed them both.

Andy Murray is as talented and dedicated as Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. So why can't he beat them? Tom Perrotta discusses on Lunch Break. Photo: AP.
.Then there's Mr. Murray. He has proven he has the talent to beat all three of them, but on the sport's biggest stages he has failed to do so time and again. The Big Three have collected 27 of the last 28 Grand Slam titles (the one blemish: Juan Martín del Potro's 2009 U.S. Open). Mr. Murray continues to circle the globe in search of his first. He has finished the season ranked No. 4 the last four years.

He's compulsive about practice, tactics, his diet, lifting weights, equipment, running sprints, stretching, ice baths, massages, sleep. He has added muscle to his still-lean frame (almost 10 pounds of it) and lost body fat (a mere 7% to 8% of his 185 pounds). He has consulted a sports psychologist, subjected himself to food-intolerance tests, and—as Mr. Djokovic has devoutly done—cut his gluten intake to almost zero, though the tins of shortbread his grandmother sends him from Scotland are sometimes irresistible. He has hired coaches, dismissed coaches, studied hours of video.

Related
The Andy Murray Workout
.It's not always clear why Mr. Murray falls short when the pressure is greatest. Does he lack a killer instinct? Is it something physical? Tennis players feel pressure in different ways. Hands and fingers go numb. The service toss goes astray. Mr. Murray becomes sluggish. "My legs get really heavy and lactic acid builds up," he says. "It doesn't change my decision-making, just sometimes I feel like I'm moving really slowly."

Work on Forehand: A less powerful part of his game than his backhand and return of serve, his forehand is a constant focus. In practice, he's been smashing balls harder than ever.
.Late last year, Mr. Murray took a surprise step to rev up his game in those crucial moments: He hired Ivan Lendl, long retired and never a coach, as his mentor. It paid immediate dividends at the Australian Open, where he lost to Mr. Djokovic, the eventual champion, in a semifinal that lasted nearly five hours. He soon beat Mr. Djokovic in Dubai and arrived at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, Calif., practicing and feeling as well as he ever had. And then poof, there was Mr. Murray slogging through a confounding second-round upset on a cool evening full of squandered chances. He sat motionless and silent as a golf cart sped him from the bowels of the stadium moments after his defeat.

"I have a pretty good understanding of why it happened, and I'll address that and make sure it doesn't happen again," Mr. Murray said a day later. "There's a lot of things that go into playing tennis and playing sports that aren't just hitting tennis balls. You've got to make sure you're as clear in your mind as you can when you go out there."

Finish Long Matches: Too many lapses at the start of sets. Mr. Lendl was unrelenting as a player, angry when he lost even one game. 'Someone like Lendl is what he needs,' says Mats Wilander.
.In Miami, where Mr. Murray is scheduled to play his first match of the Sony Ericsson Open Friday morning, the world No. 4 is still very much a man chasing starlight: Despite being stronger, faster, smarter, more versatile and more dedicated than ever, he seems to get no closer to the object of his desire.

Mr. Murray, who turns 25 in May, is hardly old in tennis years, but not young, either. Mr. Djokovic is one week younger and last year pulled off just the sort of breakthrough Mr. Murray desires. Mr. Nadal is less than a year older. Mr. Federer, 30, looks and performs like a much younger man: He has won six of the last eight tournaments he has entered. Mr. Murray can't wait them out, and he senses that his time is now. "I always enjoyed playing against them, I always felt like I had a chance," he says of the sport's three maestros. "But now I feel like I'm ready to be ahead of them."

Mr. Murray understands full well how to beat the likes of Messrs. Djokovic, Federer and Nadal: He has 18 victories against them and a winning overall record against Mr. Federer. And he doesn't fear a challenge. He spent much of his youth being pummeled by his older brother Jamie, also a pro. "Since I was 8, 9 years old, I hated losing," he says, with slow emphasis on "hated."

What he can't seem to comprehend is how to beat the best in Grand Slams, where he has 10 defeats and two wins, both over Mr. Nadal (one was by injury retirement).

Less Negative Energy: 'If somebody drops the f-bomb, I don't think that's necessarily negative energy,' says Mr. Lendl. 'Saying, "I can't do this today," or "I had so many chances"—that's negative energy.'
"He hasn't quite figured out how to play five-set matches yet," says Mats Wilander, the Swedish star who battled Mr. Lendl for years. "It's not a sprint, but you have to sprint to the finish line. Someone like Lendl is what he needs. For him, reaching three Slam finals isn't impressive."

Tennis fans will notice an important similarity between player and coach: Mr. Lendl lost his first four Grand Slam finals and was seen as mentally weak before winning his first at age 24 and then winning seven more.

"Having someone like him who understands what it's like to be at the top of the game and the psychology of top players, each time you step on the court it's definitely a help," Mr. Murray says.

Mr. Murray has one of the best backhands and returns of serve in tennis. He's one of the fastest players on the tour and has incredible hands (he reacts very well to the ball and surprise bounces) and he can apply power, delicate spin and placement with consistency. He's crafty and a great tactician. Yet unlike with most modern champions, his forehand and his serve are his slightly weaker strokes. Mr. Lendl can help improve those, as he had the best forehand of his day and an underrated serve. But there's a much deeper connection between these two men.

"I said to Andy when he started, 'I don't envy you, because it's not going to be easy for you to reconcile all the effort you put in, all the talent you have, and not winning,' " says Mark Petchey, who coached Mr. Murray in his early days on tour. Mr. Lendl was seen much the same way: remarkably gifted, but incapable of winning when it counted most. He responded as Mr. Murray has responded, by pushing his body to the brink.

Mr. Murray lost a marathon semifinal match to Mr. Djokovic at the Australian Open in January in Melbourne.
."He's a workhorse," Mr. Lendl says. "He reminds me of me that way." Mr. Lendl doesn't like to share details of his talks with Mr. Murray—"that's private," he says—but through conversations with both men it's not difficult to piece together his wish list: A more decisive forehand (in Indian Wells, Mr. Murray was smashing it harder than ever in practice); fewer lapses at the start of sets in long matches; a more assertive finishing kick, so lesser opponents don't linger; and less negative energy on court.

"If somebody drops an f-bomb, I don't think that's necessarily negative energy," Lendl says. "Saying, 'I can't do this today, or I had so many chances'—that's negative energy. You can't be thinking backwards, you think forwards."

Mr. Lendl retired from tennis in 1994 and didn't pick up a racket for 14 years because of a bad back, not to mention a love of golf. He now plays exhibitions but says he doesn't bother hitting with Mr. Murray in practice. "My ball is too slow for him," Mr. Lendl says. "And I can't stand at the net and watch him, because I'd get killed." Instead, he stands behind Mr. Murray, especially during points, and tries to get inside his mind.

"He's pretty full on," Mr. Murray says. "If I'm playing a set, he says something pretty much after every point. Something that I've done well tactically, or something I should have done maybe differently, or he'll ask, 'Do you think you could have done that there?' "

Mr. Lendl has been "full on" since childhood. At the club where he learned to play as a boy in Ostrava, Czechoslovakia, there was a cage. Inside it hung paper canaries: In tennis, the Czech word "kanár" is used as "bagel" is in English, and means a player has won a set at love (6-0). Mr. Lendl and his companions were taught not just to win, but to demolish, and no one had more canaries to his name than the young Ivan. At 14, he beat his top rival 6-0, 6-0.

"I loved it," Mr. Lendl says. "You have to be ruthless out there. If a guy is on his back, it's OK to step on his throat."

Andy Murray of Britain speaks to coach Ivan Lendl.

At the Canadian Open in 1985, Mr. Lendl played Jimmy Arias in the semifinals. Mr. Arias, a friend of Mr. Lendl's and an occasional golf partner, recalls holding serve to open the match in an uneventful game. As they walked to their chairs for a break—pros used to sit after the first game in those days—Mr. Lendl threw his racket into his bag and looked upset. "So I looked over and said, 'What, did you think you were going to win 0 and 0?' " Mr. Arias says. "And he looks over and says, 'Yes, I did.' "

Mr. Lendl could be unrelenting in exhibitions, in practice and during prematch warm-ups, when it was often frightening to practice volleys against his rocket forehands. "That's how Lendl got his confidence," Mr. Wilander says. "He couldn't hold back."

Unlike Mr. Lendl, Mr. Murray wasn't raised to destroy. His mother, Judy, briefly played professionally in the 1970s, and his family loved all sports. He and his brother played soccer, golf and swingball, where one uses paddles to hit a ball tethered to a pole. Scotland has poor-quality tennis courts—most are artificial grass—and few indoor courts, but one such center was built at the University of Stirling, not far from the Murrays' home. Judy studied coaching theory, obtained certifications and added her own touches to make practice enjoyable.

"For kids, she was the best," Mr. Murray says. "She made it fun, no pressure. It was just all about enjoying playing tennis."

As Mr. Murray became one of the best juniors in Great Britain, he was reluctant to leave Scotland because his brother had been unhappy training in England. Then he had a pivotal conversation with Rafael Nadal. The two teenagers, playing at the European junior 16-and-under team championships, became fast friends (Spain won). And they played racquetball.

"He phoned and he said, 'I've just been playing racquetball with Rafa, and you know what he was telling me?' " says Ms. Murray, who still teaches children at Stirling and is the coach of the British Federation Cup team. " 'He trains with Carlos Moya, he doesn't go to school, he plays X hours a day, he does this, he's training on clay, hrrr, hrrr, hrrr, hrrr. And what've I got? I'm playing with you and my brother at university!' " Ms. Murray says she overlooked the teenage rant and was delighted by her son's desire to improve. "We were running out of options for him."

Mr. Murray eventually enrolled in the Sánchez-Casal Academy in Barcelona, when he was 15. He had played a practice match against Emilio Sánchez Vicario, a retired pro, as a tryout; when it was over and his mother asked him how it went, Mr. Murray said nothing and walked to the showers. Mr. Sánchez then explained how the young Mr. Murray had taken him apart. "He said, 'It took him six games to work me out and that was it—he's got something,' " Ms. Murray recalls.

Mr. Murray obsesses over tactics and his opponent's tendencies. As a boy, he played mostly older, stronger kids and adults, and beat them by "messing them around," as his mother puts it. At 16, he had to stop training for six months after he discovered that he was born with a bipartite patella (his right knee didn't fuse and is held together by bony cartilage; he manages it through conditioning). Unable to play tennis, Mr. Murray studied it on television and scratched meticulous notes in a notebook.

"I'd be making the tea and he'd be going, 'This is what I would do if I was playing Safin, I would do this and I would do this,' " Ms. Murray says. "He spent so much time just watching the top players."

Even for a player of Mr. Murray's considerable talents, challenging three of the best to play in any one era—and maybe ever—is a lot to ask. To win a Grand Slam title, he'll likely have to beat not just one of them but two, in back-to-back matches.

"I don't know what he can achieve, no one does," Mr. Lendl says. "But you have to feel like you've tried everything, put yourself in position. In 20, 30 years if I'm an old man with a cane somewhere, we'll either be sitting and talking about how he did everything he could, or maybe he'll have 10 Slams."

It ultimately may come down to one question: Is Mr. Murray sufficiently ruthless? Mr. Lendl, the king of the canary cage and one of tennis's most merciless killers, locks eyes and says, "He can be. He can be."

What the Best Tennis Players Net
Despite his troubles beating his top rivals, Andy Murray is emerging as one of professional tennis's top all-time prize-money winners. The 24-year-old is about to pass Andy Roddick to move into the top 10 and will likely soon pass his new coach. Every member of the top 10 has won a Grand Slam title (rankings through last Sunday). And prize money, of course, keeps going up.

Despite his troubles beating his top rivals, Andy Murray is emerging as one of professional tennis's top all-time prize-money winners. The 24-year-old is about to pass Andy Roddick to move into the top 10 and will likely soon pass his new coach. Every member of the top 10 has won a Grand Slam title (rankings through last Sunday). And prize money, of course, keeps going up.

1. Roger Federer: $69.7 million

2. Rafael Nadal: $46.6 million

3. Pete Sampras: $43.3 million

4. Novak Djokovic: $35.5 million

5. Andre Agassi: $31.2 million

6. Boris Becker: $25.1 million

7. Yevgeny KafeInikov: $23.9 million

8. Ivan Lendl: $21.3 million

9. Stefan Edberg: $20.6 million

10. Andy Roddick: $20.2 million

11. Andy Murray: $19.9 million

—Source: ATPWorldTour.com.