Author Topic: How Andy Murray will get to the top  (Read 8897 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
How Andy Murray will get to the top
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »
Good article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: How Andy Murray will get to the top
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
good article for sure but that comparison is wrong......there's something called "time value of money" and the value keeps decreasing with time.......1 dollar tomorrow does not equal 1 dollar today.......we are speaking about years here.......

lendl's 21 million dollars by the end of '94 were huge back then.......even at 5% interest per annum since then would sum to a total of 40 million today and that's greater than djokovic's.......that's only a rough calculation.......the value of those 20 millions is actually way more than that if we go by compounds and other investment theories considering time value of money.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »
shank, you are right, no question about it, but who really cares. they are all (top dogs) stinking rich. it's irrelevant to me. Djokovic or Nadal don't pay my bills. it's their money, they earned it.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »
good article for sure but that comparison is wrong......there's something called "time value of money" and the value keeps decreasing with time.......1 dollar tomorrow does not equal 1 dollar today.......we are speaking about years here.......

lendl's 21 million dollars by the end of '94 were huge back then.......even at 5% interest per annum since then would sum to a total of 40 million today and that's greater than djokovic's.......that's only a rough calculation.......the value of those 20 millions is actually way more than that if we go by compounds and other investment theories considering time value of money.......

Yeah shanks, it's about 50 mil now.
That's a lot of dinero man.  :cool:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »
Who cares how much Money thay have,this thread is about how Murray will get to the top,lets get back on track.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 04:52:51 AM »
En route to 'the top', Andy (not Roddick) will need to acquire the scalps of some if not all of the current top 3.  Who do you think he has the best chance of beating considering his current form and playing surface?  Personally, I'd guess Rafa, though I wouldn't bet on it. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
I like Andy, he does have great talent. The problem with Andy is that he has a lot of pressure in his shoulders, being the EVERLASTING promise for Great Britain to have a new top player in the sport. Remember how much pressure Henman had? I mean, Henman was a great player, I liked him a lot, great personality and good game, he was really charismatic. But Henman did have a lot of pressure, he was a "dissapointmen" for not winning any GS... He actually once was #4 and that is as far as he got.. Now, imagine having all the talent Andy has and still expecting WAY more than they did of Henman?? That is a lot of pressure, not to mention that he had the bad luck of having to play Nadal, Djokovic and Federer..

I think it kinda hard being in Andy's shoes, still he has the talent to win a GS...

Nevertheless, he should focus on his career and just play the game...

As for a prediction when? I don't see him winning RG or Wimbledon, it should be at USO or AO.. I personally think AO is better for his current form, but he has the game to go onto USO and win it.. He should have to be WAY more aggressive if he meets either Djokovic or Federer in the finals, I am talking about USO or AO.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
Mav, I get your point. However, do you think that Djokovic, Nadal and Rog (or any other player on the tour) don't have any 'pressure'? Murray simply needs to learn how to deal with it. I don't have any magic answers. as much as I like Murray, I do not like his body language on the court.

Djokovic was like that before, but he somehow managed to change, be more composed  on the court etc. Murray needs to do the same... I like him because he is so passionate, but too much emotions on the tennis court will get you nowhere.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
Putting Henman in the same class as Murray is silly,how many Masters straps did Henman win.Murray has won 2 each year for the past 4 years,if he does the same this year it's 5 years.Murray to now has won 8 Masters,& been in finals that he has not won,you've got to be @ the top of the tree to do this.The top 4 we have now is better than when Roger was on his own in class,it's way harder to win right now.With Ivan behind Murray it takes one Slam win to start the ball rolling,that starts things moving towards the top.Djokovic lost in Dubai & Iw,so how many can he lose before he falls down from top spot?.If Djokovic does not win in Miami that's 2 Masters top points lost & gone,the 3 big guns that are dangers to Djokovic are still in & fighting @  Miami.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:31:28 PM by sid »

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2012, 01:31:26 AM »
Putting Henman in the same class as Murray is silly,how many Masters straps did Henman win.Murray has won 2 each year for the past 4 years,if he does the same this year it's 5 years.Murray to now has won 8 Masters,& been in finals that he has not won,you've got to be @ the top of the tree to do this.The top 4 we have now is better than when Roger was on his own in class,it's way harder to win right now.With Ivan behind Murray it takes one Slam win to start the ball rolling,that starts things moving towards the top.Djokovic lost in Dubai & Iw,so how many can he lose before he falls down from top spot?.If Djokovic does not win in Miami that's 2 Masters top points lost & gone,the 3 big guns that are dangers to Djokovic are still in & fighting @  Miami.

Talking about hearing what a person wants to hear... As I stated, I am just comparing Murray with Henman do to the fact of pressure having for BEING A BRIT.. nobody said anything about comparing their talent, titles, etc.....

The fact is that Djokovic is playing out of his mind in Miami, someone would say his form is back, Nadal just retired from Miami, that means he will lose some points, Fed as well, Murray has a hot at the title and could earn big points this week. Djokovic will have to do really bad on clay season to lose those much points to skip being the top dog. Yeah it is really hard to win a title now, but Rog at 30 is still up there and fighting... That should tell us something... After Miami, we should see some interesting stuff...

If Murray wins Miami, he will get REALLY close to Roger and Nadal... With Roger losing so early in Miami, Nadal retiring before the final, and Murray getting to the final and having to defend just 10 POINTS, this could be interesting... things will look like these for these top 3 IF Murray wins the Tournament.

Rafael Nadal 9935
Roger Federer   9080
Andy Murray 8440

This is close, less than 1000 points from Federer and 1500 from Nadal.. That's big... I mean, considering Nadal has a lot of things to defend in the clay season... should be interesting..

But Djokovic is still miles away from anyone..

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »
No.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2012, 04:58:49 AM »
Don't forget thay changed the points system a bit back,so gaps look bigger now days than thay are.IE for a Slam it use to be 1.200 points for the winner,we all know today it's 2.000 points,things can change quick.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
Re: Re: How Andy Murray will get to the top
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »
Mav, I get your point. However, do you think that Djokovic, Nadal and Rog (or any other player on the tour) don't have any 'pressure'? Murray simply needs to learn how to deal with it. I don't have any magic answers. as much as I like Murray, I do not like his body language on the court.

Djokovic was like that before, but he somehow managed to change, be more composed  on the court etc. Murray needs to do the same... I like him because he is so passionate, but too much emotions on the tennis court will get you nowhere.
I know all the top dogs are under a lot of pressure, just as I know players mature differently... I am not excusing Murray for this, I'm just saying it could be a factor to add it to his own...

Maybe he needs a new shrink??

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »

I know all the top dogs are under a lot of pressure, just as I know players mature differently... I am not excusing Murray for this, I'm just saying it could be a factor to add it to his own...

Mav,Andy Murray said coach Ivan Lendl had made him a more resilient player,i think as the year goes on we will see more of this.Murray just got 600 ranking points without playing much tennis in Miami,you could see there was rust from lack of tennis in USA,also 2 guys pulling out @ Miami did not help.Come Clay i think Murray will slowly improve on this surface with Lendl helping Andy.Ho some here might need a shrink Andy will be fine :rofl_2:

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »
his only way to the top?

he is just going to have to marry a woman who likes it on the bottom.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
Re: Re: How Andy Murray will get to the top
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »

Mav,Andy Murray said coach Ivan Lendl had made him a more resilient player,i think as the year goes on we will see more of this.Murray just got 600 ranking points without playing much tennis in Miami,you could see there was rust from lack of tennis in USA,also 2 guys pulling out @ Miami did not help.Come Clay i think Murray will slowly improve on this surface with Lendl helping Andy.Ho some here might need a shrink Andy will be fine :rofl_2:
Yeah, but even when I think Lendl as his coach was the best move he could do, I still have to say that his on court attitude is not the right one. Still demonstrating he has to cool down, enjoy the game and probably stop with all the whinning evertyime he loses a point.

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »
I think Murray only needs to have a greater emotional control to win a Grand Slam, because he is an excellent tennis player.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »
I think Murray only needs to have a greater emotional control to win a Grand Slam, because he is an excellent tennis player.

So many have said the same thing, I'm hoping Lendl can get him over that hurdle.

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »

So many have said the same thing, I'm hoping Lendl can get him over that hurdle.

I think not.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »
and where does he go to get a forehand?
PRAY FOR DEATH