Author Topic: How Andy Murray will get to the top  (Read 10015 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: How Andy Murray will get to the top
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2012, 07:41:06 PM »
and where does he go to get a forehand?
bingo, big problem ... it's a little bit better than last year but nowhere even close to Djokovic, Rog and Nadal. I'm actually not sure he can do anything about his FH at this stage ... he is almost 25 yo... I hope I'm wrong because I really like Murray. How can he improve his FH? What kind a different technique can he employ?

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »
in order to be the king of this sport you have to have a dominating forehand with massive finishing power. and it has to be consistent as hell in the clutch when you have to have it.

that is a big problem. but that is not his biggest problem. he has a much bigger problem which has no answers:

he knows deep inside he does not measure up to the 3 all time greats of the sport right now. he really does not measure up to fed, clay warrior, and no-djok.

it is a tough and a brutal reality and all of the rest of the players have to deal with it too. the top 3 are just too damn good.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
 I can't wait until it's our turn to say our top players fail because the weight of the world to be the next #1 is on their shoulders. Or maybe you Brits should own the copyright to that one.

Andy's forehand can be coached up but not his desire and will to win. His best chance is through attrition: Roger and Rafa leave the game and Andy's efficient style translates to longevity. 

Btw, did Andy ever say he wanted to be #1? It's well documented that the other 3 had and at an early age.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:51:27 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »
I can't wait until it's our turn to say our top players fail because the weight of the world to be the next #1 is on their shoulders. Or maybe you Brits should own the copyright to that one.

Andy's forehand can be coached up but not his desire and will to win. His best chance is through attrition: Roger and Rafa leave the game and Andy's efficient style translates to longevity. 

Btw, did Andy ever say he wanted to be #1? It's well documented that the other 3 had and at an early age.
well, I don't know if he said it or not, but he is a pro, you'd assume he wants to be #1. He is a pretty modest guy. It would sound silly if he brags about it in the era of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. I do agree with you regarding the British press and all of that hype, but Andy needs to learn how to deal with it. and I'm afraid that by the time Fed and Nadal leave the game it's going to be too late for Murray. Nadal is only 11 months older than Andy. Djokovic is still going strong.

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:15 PM »

I think the problem is not the Murray's forehand. I think the predicament it is the emotional imbalance.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »

I think the problem is not the Murray's forehand. I think the predicament it is the emotional imbalance.

Hopefully Lendl will have an impact on that. But the forehand could use a little more pace to it.

On the other hand Murray was good enough with the forehand he has to take Djokovic to 5 sets at the AO.
What that means is the forehand does good enough if everything else is working well.

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »

Hopefully Lendl will have an impact on that. But the forehand could use a little more pace to it.

On the other hand Murray was good enough with the forehand he has to take Djokovic to 5 sets at the AO.
What that means is the forehand does good enough if everything else is working well.

His forehand was good in that match.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »

Andy should outlast the other top 3, should be interesting to see if he can stay healthy.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »

Andy should outlast the other top 3, should be interesting to see if he can stay healthy.
what do you mean by 'outlast top 3'? Nole is a week younger than Murray, Rafa is 11 months older than Nole and Andy.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »
For the same reason we speculate that Rafa's body will wear down first. Nole plays a physically taxing game. He really pushes his body to extremes and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a serious knee or ankle injury. Andy's movement is very efficient, similar to, but not exactly like Roger in that respect.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:33:48 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2012, 12:28:13 AM »
For the same reason we speculate that Rafa's body will wear down first. Nole plays a physically taxing game. He really pushes his body to extremes and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a serious knee or ankle injury. Andy's movement is very efficient, similar to, but not exactly like Roger in that respect.
OK, I get it but, but, but ... except for allergies, some shoulder issues (which I'm not sure it was really valid, as I think Djokovic  was simply too tired at the end of the season last year, he played and won so many matches), Djokovic has never had any serious injuries in his career ... unlike Murray who injured his wrist ... I'm not saying this as his fan, but Nole is a super fit athlete ... Rafa is another story ...

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2012, 12:34:47 AM »
Forgot about the wrist! Those things can stay with you.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:43 AM »
yeah, he was out for a very long time with that wrist injury. I mean we don't know what's going to happen but I disagree with Scott. Murray is spending plenty of energy on the court. Maybe his game is not as physical as Nole or Nadal but it's still very demanding. He is running like a rabbit all the time, Murray is a grinder in a way. However, he is not as flexible as Djokovic who is super elastic ... but again Novak has never had any serious injuries in his career. 

I'm afraid that if Murray doesn't win a major by the end of 2013 (or let's say next 2 years or so), it'll never happen. He is going to be 25 in a month. Time is running out.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2012, 02:59:16 AM »
time is running out on andy. he needs some sort of a break in the next 2-3 years.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »

I'm afraid that if Murray doesn't win a major by the end of 2013 (or let's say next 2 years or so), it'll never happen. He is going to be 25 in a month. Time is running out.

time is running out on andy. he needs some sort of a break in the next 2-3 years.

Andres Gomez won his first and only major at the age of 30 (RG1990) .. So Andy gots plenty of time..... He will get there..

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »

It's true.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
i dont see lendl helping him to be brutally honest here. all lendl can do is calm him down a little but how is that helping.

murray actually does better when he is allowed to get all emotional and angry on the court.

he is the modern johnny mac without the endless weeping and whining about line calls.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:48:05 PM by Clay Death »
PRAY FOR DEATH

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
i dont see lendl helping him to be brutally honest here. all lendl can do is calm him down a little but how is that helping.

murray actually does better when he is allowed to get all emotional and angry on the court.

he is the modern johnny mac without the endless weeping and whining about line calls.

Yes, I think Murray Lendl does not need to run your best tennis.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2012, 05:33:49 PM »
The only two things that bother Murray from the start and even today are the weak forehand and the whining nature. I have no idea how Lendl can improve these two for Murray. Lendl can at best provide strategies. He is not a psychiatrist.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »
I would suggest Murray get in some high intensity forehand work.

Make it part of his schedule, just add 20% more velocity to the forehand, work on accuracy later.
He needs to get the feel of blasting that ball.

What he's doing now isn't working well enough, he HAS to change even if it means his level goes down for awhile. Doing the same thing will only give the same results.