Author Topic: Players not named Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, or Del Potro thread  (Read 1826 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
You guys are absolutely smotheringly retarded.

The best purely tennis discussion in days has been the Gilles Simon discussion that only 4 people noticed. So to give those discussions their due, it's time to resuscitate this thread.

Next up!

Simon-Isner
Nice contrast. Both dudes are playing well for the first time in some time. The game really slows down at night which should help Simon, but that's not to say it's to his advantage. Tricky one to call and two guys I'd like to see move on.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:48:21 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
I was really pleased to see how Almagro's game has matured on hard courts. His win over Berdych was his first win on this surface against a top 10 player. Today,  he hung tough before finally getting out classed at 4-4 in an extremely competitive 2nd set. In the past, he lacked confidence and just went away. It's great to see how he's matured in the past 3 years.

He also clocked a 96mph 1HBH. I don't recall that kind of pace on many backhands.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:50:13 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Interesting matchup. Don't know what to expect.
I'll take Isner.

yeah, Almagro's BH was clocked at 96 over the high part of the net.

The other day Verdasco was hitting forehands against DelPo at 100, 101 and 104. Maybe a few more not shown too.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
I agree. We need to get serious about a sport  :rofl_2:

babbs, I was just wondering since you are such a passionate fan of the 1 HBH, what do feel about Fed and Pete's one handed backhands? May be irrelevant post in this thread, but I'd like to know since you mention Nico's speed on his backhand.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
A.D.D.?! Focus falconi!!

What I like about Almagro's that distinguishes it from any I've ever seen on tour has more to do with his confidence to rip it as hard as he can whenever he's got his feet set. It may not look as aesthetically pleasing as some, but that's likely because he sacrifices that for unadulterated power.

I posted this yesterday. This is a shot from his match with Berdych. The rap on 1-handers is that they struggle to control a ball this high. Nico is pretty comfortable stepping in and going up the ladder to unleash his power. You don't see that from any 1-hander.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:23:47 PM by Babblelot »

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
Wawrinka ?
The world awaits no genius

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Isner v. Simon

If we were to go by this TB from 2011 USO, it looks like a complete mismatch. Howerver, the score at this point of the match is.

Isner 7-6, 3-6, 7-6, 6-6

John Isner vs Gilles Simon US Open 2011 Final Set Tie Break Court 17 HD 720p

I think we gots a good 'un coming tonight!   ://
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:41:17 PM by Babblelot »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Almagro doesn't look that tall...its surprising you say he gets to high balls. I haven't seen him play with taht keen an interest

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
My average backhands are ~90mph, so I have crossed plenty of 100mph backhands, nothing impressive.

Simon vs. Isner should be interesting. It'll all depend on how well Isner can play in the tiebreaks and it's all about Isner's serve. I'll give the edge to Isner, just because he has some confidence these days and the dude with the serve always has the edge. Not to mention Simon hasn't scaled the heights he once did, wether it's mental or physical I have no idea.

And Bab you were right, people tend to overlook Simon for the "three musketeers" but I respect him ten times more than Gasquet and Monfils, and Tsonga has only recently started showing a little stability.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
You guys are absolutely smotheringly retarded.

The best purely tennis discussion in days has been the Gilles Simon discussion that only 4 people noticed. So to give those discussions their due, it's time to resuscitate this thread.

Next up!

Simon-Isner
Nice contrast. Both dudes are playing well for the first time in some time. The game really slows down at night which should help Simon, but that's not to say it's to his advantage. Tricky one to call and two guys I'd like to see move on.
:thumbs-up:

Recent discussions have given me pause to reconsider the value of my time here. 

I fell asleep before the Isner-Simon match. :mad1:
Anticipated the clash in styles and thought it would be a good test for both players.  As much as I disdain ballbashers and counterpunchers, I've always had maddd respect for Gilles and his ability to make due with limited physical talents.  Am always mentally engaged when watching him play as I think he is one of the more intelligent players on tour. 

Then of course there's Big John.  I've loved watching him come along since I first saw him lead Georgia to the NCAA title in 07.  He was a veritable diamond in the rough at the time and I think still has plenty of room for improvement.

Hopefully I can catch the rerun tonight if I don't  :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) again..... :\
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Players not named Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, or Del Potro thread
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 02:40:25 AM »
A.D.D.?! Focus falconi!!

What I like about Almagro's that distinguishes it from any I've ever seen on tour has more to do with his confidence to rip it as hard as he can whenever he's got his feet set. It may not look as aesthetically pleasing as some, but that's likely because he sacrifices that for unadulterated power.

I posted this yesterday. This is a shot from his match with Berdych. The rap on 1-handers is that they struggle to control a ball this high. Nico is pretty comfortable stepping in and going up the ladder to unleash his power. You don't see that from any 1-hander.

Precisely what I thought when I read her question. :thumbs-up:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:22 AM »
My average backhands are ~90mph, so I have crossed plenty of 100mph backhands, nothing impressive.

Simon vs. Isner should be interesting. It'll all depend on how well Isner can play in the tiebreaks and it's all about Isner's serve. I'll give the edge to Isner, just because he has some confidence these days and the dude with the serve always has the edge. Not to mention Simon hasn't scaled the heights he once did, wether it's mental or physical I have no idea.

And Bab you were right, people tend to overlook Simon for the "three musketeers" but I respect him ten times more than Gasquet and Monfils, and Tsonga has only recently started showing a little stability.
Yeah, you're right Professor! :mad1:

I loves me some Willie & Gael for their Joie De Vivre!
But their maddd skilllz are accompanied all too often with a case of severe brain cramps.  Enter Simon.  Always thinking.  Always weighing the risk/reward.  Playing within himself and accepting his fate.  Much to love their as well. :))

I'll leave the subject of Gasdick for Babble or someone else.
Since the alleged drug incident I just can't consider him in my book. :(

Sure would be interesting to have some input from Pamqnx on these fellers...... :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:54:06 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 02:54:59 AM »
Almagro doesn't look that tall...its surprising you say he gets to high balls. I haven't seen him play with taht keen an interest
Dude's got a fire in his belly! :scared:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:55 AM »
Who cares, everyone except them are clowns/mugs/losers.  :whistle:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 04:44:25 AM »
Who cares, everyone except them are clowns/mugs/losers.  :whistle:
:rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 05:31:37 AM »
At least I watched Ryan Harrion's match! :)) :))

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
nice pic  :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

isner-simon was a slugfest..slow, long & slightly boring..:(
scores suggest otherwise tho.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:30:56 AM by ashwin#1 »
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 06:10:49 AM »
What do you think of the kid?

I haven't seen enough of him to form an educated opinion, but from what I saw, there was alot to like.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 06:43:39 AM »
What do you think of the kid?

I haven't seen enough of him to form an educated opinion, but from what I saw, there was alot to like.

His weak backhand is really big problem for himself. It does not have all important elements for a good backhand. There is no speed, angle and deepth on his backhand. It allow his opponent has time to set up big forehand. Ryan Harriosn is really defensive when the circumstance hapen again and again.

I hope he can figure out this problem or he will not have any chance to be top 10. Currently, he tries to slice to cover this weakness, but his backhand is rubbish at the moment.

One question, I would think is that how will happen if he plays single hand backhand?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:44:30 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 07:02:34 AM »
I'm assuming that's a hypothetical question since very few players have been known to switch once they make the pro tour.

Are there any redeeming qualities to his BH that you have seen?
CONK da ball!!!