Author Topic: Players not named Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, or Del Potro thread  (Read 1835 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: Players not named Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, or Del Potro thread
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »
I'm assuming that's a hypothetical question since very few players have been known to switch once they make the pro tour.

Are there any redeeming qualities to his BH that you have seen?

It likes to drop in the middle of the court. :\
But it is quite good when he has time to set up and hit big backhand.

The real issue is when he is hitting backhand while he is moving.
Garcia-Lopez ~ Ryan Harrison - Highlights - Indian Wells 2012

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 07:31:42 AM »
Ryan Harrison vs Marin Cilic 1st Round US Open 2011 Highlights Pt. 1

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 09:53:26 AM »
but, but, but Nole is the best. sorry Babs I couldn't help it  :rofl_2:.

great thread btw. Isner played a decent match against Simon. I haven't had a chance to see Nalbandian at all. looking forward to his match today. I really love watching Nalby when he shows up  :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »
This discussion belongs here, not in the Trick Shot thread.

falcon said
Also, while the 1 HBH does need immense control, I hate it when you have that in your reportoire and do very little with it too.

I don't even know what that means. Does that mean anything?

If I say something subjective like, "I think Almagro has the biggest backhand in tennis," you can argue that I'm wrong. If I tell you, "Almagro just cracked a BH against Djokovic that was measured at 96mph!" and say that there's not the power in his groundstrokes that I'm indicating, you're being obtuse. Anyway, you don't have to take my word for it. Every commentator gawks over his backhand; "One of the best on tour" is pretty much how it's described universally.

How 'bout his serve? He's #4 on the ace list right now behind Raonic, Isner, and Del Potro. I've seen him crank it up to 138mph. Yesterday he was cracking unreturnable 131-132mph serves out wide consistently to Djokovic, the best returner on tour. I've seen him do this to Murray, on clay!

He ended the match with 23 aces.

Another thing about Almagro is that he likes to play on top of the baseline, not conceding any ground. He can do this because of the tremendous racquet head speed he generates. And you'll see him knock his opponent off their spot with his pace and depth.

So, if you watched 2-3 minutes of one match and say none of this is in that, then he's demonstrating he has a lot of variety.

He used to be a real hot head, too, but he's grown out of that. Still shows the passion, but able to let things go that used to linger.

So why isn't he more successful? It's taken him a while to get used to playing on hard courts. As I said elsewhere, he was never comfortable on the surface and it showed in his waning confidence. This year is the most confident he's ever been. That's a lot of ranking points right there. He's also short, with short arms. Because he hugs the baseline, he is susceptible to passing shots down the line. He just doesn't have time to recover or the reach.

He doesn't do anything for you. That's acceptable, because he doesn't do anything for anyone. That's why you don't know anything about him; his matches aren't televised. In fact, the best match he ever played was against Tsonga at the AO three years ago. Though he lost, he introduced himself to the tennis world that day. However, I can't even find a clip of it on YouTube.

Aces
1   Raonic, Milos   278    6'5"
2   Isner, John   218    6'9"
3   Del Potro, Juan Martin   177    6'6"
4   Almagro, Nicolas   172  6' (taller than I thought!)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:26:12 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Nole nš1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »

great thread btw. Isner played a decent match against Simon. I haven't had a chance to see Nalbandian at all. looking forward to his match today. I really love watching Nalby when he shows up  :)
Yes, Nole is the best.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
You guys are absolutely smotheringly retarded.

The best purely tennis discussion in days has been the Gilles Simon discussion that only 4 people noticed. So to give those discussions their due, it's time to resuscitate this thread.

Recent discussions have given me pause to reconsider the value of my time here. 

I won't be far behind if the two 12 y/os make one more post this week.

There's too much evidence that fanboydom kills message boards. I've said it many times -- as far back as the flight of the Williams sister's fans -- even when they are on top, it's not long lasting. As soon as their favorite player falls off, they all go away.

Federer hasn't won a major in 2 years. It wasn't long after that that his fanboy legions disappeared.

Yep, you're right swish, this place is dead but that doesn't have anything to do with one poster being banned, it has everything to do with Federerflight.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:07:13 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
but babs what do we do? you get annoyed too easily. shall we close this board because we have new silly members. don't think so. yeah, there a couple of us posting here forever... you don't have an idea how much I dislike stupidity but you can't except everyone to be perfect... I simply don't care any more. anyone can post anything they want too... it's up to mods to simply moderate this board.

I find both you and MT too simply be too serious sometimes (as I said I love you both  :)). You can't expect everyone who posts on this board  to be knowledgeable about tennis. You can't expect everyone to be serious. yes, you'll see more and more fans coming and leaving depending how their 'favorite player' is doing....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:26:28 AM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 11:20:34 AM »

Me too Alex!!!
And when he doesn't, it's just plain ugly.  :scared:
Almost appears as though he's disinterested. :Confused:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
I'm cutting The Kids some slack seeing as they're not being rude or abusive. 
Just irritating.
To some of us.
Who have 1/2 a brain....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Nole nš1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »
 :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »
Just irritating.
To some of us.
Who have 1/2 a brain....
MT, I know. I just edited my post above. As long as posters are not abusive I don't have a problem with it. We do have some good mods here (not Dallas, she should be fired  :rofl_2:). sure, we all want to have some good laugh but.... you can't expect a 12 yo kid who can barely speak English to understand right away how things work on this board. It'll take some time I guess, but he is learning. 

Offline Nole nš1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
Just irritating.
To some of us.
Who have 1/2 a brain....
MT, I know. I just edited my post above. As long as posters are not abusive I don't have a problem with it. We do have some good mods here (not Dallas, she should be fired  :rofl_2:). sure, we all want to have some good laugh but.... you can't expect a 12 yo kid who can barely speak English to understand right away how things work on this board. It'll take some time I guess, but he is learning.

Thank you Alex, you are the best. :) :) :cool: :gleam:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:38:42 AM by Nole nš1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »
Just irritating.
To some of us.
Who have 1/2 a brain....
Fair Dinkum Alex.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
:coffee:     ;-()

:gleam: :gleam: :gleam: :gleam: :gleam: :gleam:
OK kid, now listen too me. how is this contributing to our chat about tennis and this thread? STOP IT. if you have something to say, say it. If you keep doing this you will be banned and you won't be able to post anymore. Focus on the topic. I hope there are other players you like...talk about them or shut up. 

Offline Nole nš1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
Just irritating.
To some of us.
Who have 1/2 a brain....
Fair Dinkum Alex.

Alex is right.

Offline Nole nš1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 11:39:31 AM »
:coffee:     ;-()

:gleam: :gleam: :gleam: :gleam: :gleam: :gleam:
OK kid, now listen too me. how is this contributing to our chat about tennis and this thread? STOP IT. if you have something to say, say it. If you keep doing this you will be banned and you won't be able to post anymore. Focus on the topic. I hope there are other players you like...talk about them or shut up.

OK

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
Stop kidding yourself Alex.

It's Emma.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Nole nš1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »