Author Topic: Ana Ivanovic's recent form  (Read 587 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Ana Ivanovic's recent form
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »
Here's a new topic for us to talk about :)

Here's a good article about Ana and her recent strong wins over Wozniacki and Bartoli: http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/03/letting-go.html

What does everyone feel about Ana's return to the top, will she make it? Will she last? Are we talking another candidate into the mix of top players? When Ana was number 1 and won the French, we had a few interesting people around including Safina, Henin, Serena, Jankovic etc. And they all kinda disappeared. Ivanovic has worked on her forehand and has seemed to be working hard. Her serve is always shaky still but it's the WTA we are talking about. Except for the Williams sisters and Stosur, a lack of serve isn't really a big deal.

Ivanovic is focused and dedicated, I like that about her. She's gone through some big downs but still keeping at it and making her way back to the top, Agassi-esque in a way. Can she win another grand-slam or two? It's not like there's ridiculous competition out there, and she certainly has the game.

What do you think? I think the return of Ivanovic to the top and in the mix will definitely make the WTA A LOT more interesting especially given how nice of a girl she is. Azarenka, Sharpieova, Kvitova, Ivanovic ... I don't mind.

Note: please dont' respond if you don't have anything to say about this topic.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:32:38 PM by pawan89 »

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
Re: Ana Ivanovic's recent form
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »

Here's a good article about Ana and her recent strong wins over Wozniacki and Bartoli: http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/03/letting-go.html

What does everyone feel about Ana's return to the top, will she make it? Will she last? Are we talking another candidate into the mix of top players? When Ana was number 1 and won the French, we had a few interesting people around including Safina, Henin, Serena, Jankovic etc. And they all kinda disappeared. Ivanovic has worked on her forehand and has seemed to be working hard. Her serve is always shaky still but it's the WTA we are talking about. Except for the Williams sisters and Stosur, a lack of serve isn't really a big deal.

Ivanovic is focused and dedicated, I like that about her. She's gone through some big downs but still keeping at it and making her way back to the top, Agassi-esque in a way. Can she win another grand-slam or two? It's not like there's ridiculous competition out there, and she certainly has the game.

What do you think? I think the return of Ivanovic to the top and in the mix will definitely make the WTA A LOT more interesting especially given how nice of a girl she is. Azarenka, Sharpieova, Kvitova, Ivanovic ... I don't mind.

She is a good player.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »

She is a good player.

She is, I agree. Have you seen her play? Do you watch women's tennis?

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
well Pawan, I used to watch her play back in 2006/08 when she was really good. OK, I admit I find her so beautiful but she 'has been' a great player. Young Ana was so confident, she was winning tournaments, she won RG, was #1. I really expected great things to happen to her. and then, she started posing for Sport Illustrated, she was on the cover of all major magazines.... she's turned to suddenly be more of a celebrity than a tennis player. sure, I know she's made tons of money and I do understand everything but along the way she simply got lost as a tennis player. I really like her game (and again she is so cute) but I hope that she'll be back as a tennis player. all that fame, whatever, is fine ... but I just hope that she doesn't waste her talent.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »
Winning against head cases (which much of the WTA actually is) is nothing significant. Let her beat Maria or Vika CONSISTENTLY then we can start talking. The WTA is a big joke....

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »
Winning against head cases (which much of the WTA actually is) is nothing significant. Let her beat Maria or Vika CONSISTENTLY then we can start talking. The WTA is a big joke....

Well falcon winning against Maria or Vika CONSISTENTLY is world domination at this point. I am talking about simple steps to put yourself at the top. The WTA IS a joke but beating Wozniacki - who's a very consistent and top player who was number 1 for two years, and Bartoli who has very strong performances and can be dangerous on her day and again, another solid top 10 player, is a great way to establish yourself and announce that you are aiming at the Vika's and Sharpiova's next.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
Falc, you do have a great point. I said it before and I'm saying it again, the whole WTA is so messy right now ... we want to see great champions and you just don't know nowadays who is who anymore. I'd like to see more consistency, but I'm simply not interested in the WTA... it's all over the place

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »

Well falcon winning against Maria or Vika CONSISTENTLY is world domination at this point. I am talking about simple steps to put yourself at the top. The WTA IS a joke but beating Wozniacki - who's a very consistent and top player who was number 1 for two years, and Bartoli who has very strong performances and can be dangerous on her day and again, another solid top 10 player, is a great way to establish yourself and announce that you are aiming at the Vika's and Sharpiova's next.

Honestly, I hate to say it that Vika is not even a standard to draw your form against. That being said, she is the current world number one and has had one of the best starts to the season. Maria is easily the second best player out there. Despite their level of play now, I know that these two are not going to be consistent and it is a well known fact that Wozniacki was anything but a world number 1 in the true sense. Bartoli can be dangerous on her day but then she can easily lose to nobodys as well. I will start trusting that Ana is doing something only when she starts winning titles, which she hasn't been.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »
Falc, you do have a great point. I said it before and I'm saying it again, the whole WTA is so messy right now ... we want to see great champions and you just don't know nowadays who is who anymore. I'd like to see more consistency, but I'm simply not interested in the WTA... it's all over the place

Alex, didn't she once say that she 'learns' from Nole's game? Alas, I don't see half of his dedication in her.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
well Falc, Ana needs to focus on tennis instead of posing for the magazines. I feel that she is slowly coming back, but who knows? women are too unpredictable  :))
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:42:05 PM by Alex »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »

Honestly, I hate to say it that Vika is not even a standard to draw your form against. That being said, she is the current world number one and has had one of the best starts to the season. Maria is easily the second best player out there. Despite their level of play now, I know that these two are not going to be consistent and it is a well known fact that Wozniacki was anything but a world number 1 in the true sense. Bartoli can be dangerous on her day but then she can easily lose to nobodys as well. I will start trusting that Ana is doing something only when she starts winning titles, which she hasn't been.

Fair enough. I agree with you that even the top players aren't exactly a benchmark or the high mark of tennis but Ana is far from even the top and she needs to target the players above her and slowly climb up the rankings. But you are right, she won't be in the mix until she starts beating the top 4-5 players every now and then.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »
well Falc, Ana needs to focus on tennis instead of posing for the magazines. I feel that she is slowly coming back, but who know? women are too unpredictable  :))

:// one of the most factual, truthful statements on this board in recent history  :rofl_2:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »

Alex, didn't she once say that she 'learns' from Nole's game? Alas, I don't see half of his dedication in her.
she could have said many things.... Nole and Ana are really good friends, but Ana is simply not as dedicated as Novak. not sure she will ever be. I just have this feeling (and I hope that I'm wrong) that she simply made tons of money and tennis is not her priority. She is loved everywhere she goes, but she really needs to figure out what her priorities are. is it tennis, is it fashion, get married... I hope you know what I mean

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »

she could have said many things.... Nole and Ana are really good friends, but Ana is simply not as dedicated as Novak. not sure she will ever be. I just have this feeling (and I hope that I'm wrong) that she simply made tons of money and tennis is not her priority. She is loved everywhere she goes, but she really needs to figure out what her priorities are. is it tennis, is it fashion, get married... I hope you know what I mean

Maybe not Djokovic-esque but she's clearly showing more dedication that Woz:

Ivanovic has made her bubble as small as possible this year. No family, no trainer, no boyfriend; it’s just her and her coach, Nigel Sears. She’s gone “back to basics” before in her quest for answers, but out here she’s taken the concept to its extreme, clearing away anything that doesn’t have to do with tennis. Ivanovic and Sears have been a fixture all week on the practice courts. Where many coaches stand at the fence and observe their player behind a pair of sunglasses and crossed arms, Sears has been right next to Ivanovic, feeding balls, talking into her ear, demonstrating. The forehand has been the focus.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »

Maybe not Djokovic-esque but she's clearly showing more dedication that Woz:

Ivanovic has made her bubble as small as possible this year. No family, no trainer, no boyfriend; it’s just her and her coach, Nigel Sears. She’s gone “back to basics” before in her quest for answers, but out here she’s taken the concept to its extreme, clearing away anything that doesn’t have to do with tennis. Ivanovic and Sears have been a fixture all week on the practice courts. Where many coaches stand at the fence and observe their player behind a pair of sunglasses and crossed arms, Sears has been right next to Ivanovic, feeding balls, talking into her ear, demonstrating. The forehand has been the focus.
pawan, I read that too on tennis.com I think. I hope she is serious. She does have one of the most beautiful FH on the tour.

Offline Nole nº1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »

She is a good player.

She is, I agree. Have you seen her play? Do you watch women's tennis?

Yes, I watch womens tennis. I like Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »
Regardless of the quality of opponent of late, there's no denying that she's experiencing a resurgence. She had fallen to #63 and now is #16. Perhaps higher next week with this result? In any event, that's in itself is a very rare feat. Usually they fall and are never heard from again. That looked for all the world to be the fate of Ana.

I've been extremely hard on her for years, so for me to find anything redeeming in her game is notable.

Can she sustain it? I'll give her even odds today.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »
I think you're wrong Babs.
If there's any 'resurgence' in her game, it's due to the woeful state of the WTA.
'Her game' is just a Wozy knockoff IMHO.

Not that I watch the WTA....... :whistle: :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
I was just so happy that she beat Caroline... :innocent:

She's playing better but she's still so fragile that I don't know how long this 'form' will last, especially when she goes up against the 'hard hitters' like Maria or Azarenka, etc.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
The lesser of 2 evils. :(

She just doesn't possess the drive to push through consistently against the more determined players.

Too bad.
She seems like a decent sort.
CONK da ball!!!