Author Topic: ATP SONY ERICSSON OPEN, MIAMI (3/19-4/1/12)  (Read 5969 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: ATP SONY ERICSSON OPEN, MIAMI (3/19-4/1/12)
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/03/12/Miami-Thursday-Harrison-Kunitsyn-Win.aspx

Harrison To Face Federer In Second Round; Karlovic Hits 27 Aces To Win
Miami, USA
by ATP Staff

Getty Images
Ryan Harrison is making his third appearance in Miami.
 Ryan Harrison won his first match at the Sony Ericsson Open on Thursday to set up a second-round clash against third seed and 2005-06 champion Roger Federer.

American wild card Harrison beat Italian Potito Starace 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-4 in two hours and 23 minutes. Harrison, who reached the SAP Open semi-finals in San Jose (l. to Raonic) last month, won 74 per cent of his service points and hit 11 aces. The World No. 73 now has a 10-6 record on the season.

"From the maturity standpoint I'm able to focus on the task at hand more than frustration and things not going my way," admitted Harrison. "I'm learning how to take things and say, 'Even though to this point I haven't been able to execute what I want to, let's keep trying. Let's not dwell on what hasn't happened. Let's look forward to making sure that I try to do everything I can to make positive things happen.'"

Watch Live From Staturday | Buy Tickets | TV Schedule

Marcos Baghdatis will look to record his first match win (0-6 lifetime) against World No. 1 Novak Djokovic after the Cypriot converted four of six break point opportunities to beat Leonardo Mayer of Argentina 6-1, 6-4 in 83 minutes.

Ivo Karlovic will play No. 11 seed Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina after the 33-year-old Croatian hit 27 aces past Poland's Lukasz Kubot 6-3, 6-7(2), 7-6(2) in three hours and three minutes. The victory snapped a three-match losing streak against Kubot, who beat Karlovic at the recent BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

Russian Igor Kunitsyn saved 12 of 16 break points to beat American wild card Jesse Levine 7-6(8), 7-6(3) in two hours and 16 minutes. He goes onto face No. 23 seed Marin Cilic of Croatia.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
Harrison throughs by 3 sets.

By the way, Bernard is playing right now.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2012, 07:15:02 PM »
http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/7717790/sony-ericsson-open-five-things-watch-men-draw

Five things to watch in men's drawUpdated: March 21, 2012, 2:43 PM ETBy Joanne C. Gerstner | espnW
Recommend0 Tweet0 Comments3Email Print KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Watching the men's side of the tennis tour is like playing the stock market: Some brands are rising in value, others are stalled, and a few are on the decline.

For the past few years, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal were the best blue chips to invest in. Now, world No. 1 Novak Djokovic has replaced them as the sure-bet to win tournaments.

Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, surging American star John Isner and the rest of the big names will be in Miami this week at the Sony Ericsson Open. Here are five things to watch for:

1. Will Djokovic's roll continue?
Save for two blips over the past two weeks -- losing in the semifinals in Dubai and Indian Wells -- Djokovic has continued to play inspired and consistently tough tennis. He defeated Nadal in a memorable five-set battle at the Australian Open. He's going to be the player to beat in Miami.

2. Federer and Nadal, what's next?
It's hard to lump them together in the same category since their games are very different, but they're in the same boat: chasing down Djokovic. Federer's form has been good; he beat Andy Murray for the Dubai crown and rolled past Isner in the Indian Wells final. But it's still not clear if No. 3 Federer can hang for five sets against the speedy Djokovic and post a win.

Second-ranked Nadal has also had his share of heartbreak against Djokovic. He was crushed after losing that epic final in Australia, giving everything he had but still coming up short. All three players were in the thick of the action at last year's Sony Ericsson, with Nadal beating Federer in the semis and the Djokovic topping Nadal in three close sets for the title. Djokovic has recently had Nadal's number when it's counted most.

3. What's up with Andy Murray?
The forgotten man in many conversations about the top of the men's tennis order is Murray, who is a very quiet fourth-ranked player in the world. Murray pushed Djokovic to five sets in the Australian semis, and then beat Djokovic in Dubai a few weeks ago. He has brought on Ivan Lendl to help his game, and there isn't much clarity yet on how the partnership has improved Murray's game. The results over the past few weeks have been so-so, as Murray was bounced from Indian Wells in the second round. His best result so far this season: reaching the Dubai final.

4. Isner on the upswing?
The lanky American has always had a killer serve, using his 6-foot-9 frame to his advantage. Isner has recently added more consistency and depth in his groundstrokes, allowing him to hang through more than just a hold-serve marathon. He's playing more confidently, coming to net and taking more risks. Isner's win against Djokovic last week was a big one, revealing a complete game beyond the serve. Isner moved into the top 10 for the first time in his career and could be ready to assume the mantle of being the United States' best male player.

5. And then, there's the rest of the crew
Hard-court toughies Andy Roddick (ranked 34th in the world), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (sixth) and Juan Martin del Potro (11th) could make things interesting for the top seeds. But in the end, this tournament will end up being another episode of the Federer-Nadal-Djokovic show.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
Donald Young gets his butt bounced by a #148 ranked player.  :-o

Gulbis, the very talented bonehead is out too.
What happened to this guy? He has the game to beat the best at times.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »

Goffin D. (Bel) vs. Young D. (Usa)

7-6

6-4

I think "The Donald" is loosing ground again!  He was doing fine last year but this year it been downhill again!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2012, 05:13:53 AM »

Zero motivation.
Maddd skilllzz though!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2012, 06:00:51 AM »

Zero motivation.
Maddd skilllzz though!

Hey, that sounds like the opposite of me!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2012, 07:01:51 AM »

Zero motivation.
Maddd skilllzz though!

Don't that just piss you off!

Gulbis looked to me to be the 2nd Coming a few years back.
A natural.
How unfortunate that his spirit doesn't match his physical gifts.

....and then there's hackers like us who would die for a chance to spend 30 hours a week on court and our spare time cross-training with no skillzz to speak of.  That's life, eh? :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2012, 07:30:27 AM »

Zero motivation.
Maddd skilllzz though!

Don't that just piss you off!

Gulbis looked to me to be the 2nd Coming a few years back.
A natural.
How unfortunate that his spirit doesn't match his physical gifts.

....and then there's hackers like us who would die for a chance to spend 30 hours a week on court and our spare time cross-training with no skillzz to speak of.  That's life, eh? :))

That is life indeed my friend...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
Sid should be happy... His Murray won his first round match gainst Falla 62 63

Meltzer d Haase 76(2) 36 64
Gimon d Bautista-Agut 65 62

At least we will get to see Roger and Djokovic since they don't play until tomorrow...and the Tennis live stream starts tomorrow.  Some folks say Miami is a bigger tournament than Indian Wells....but the TV schedule and the money says otherwise.  At least we COULD see all the matches at Indian Wells.  This tournament has been going on for days and we haven't seen a match yet!  Serena, Venus, Kimmy, Murray, Nadal...all of them have or will play before Saturday....yet nothing!  :mad1:

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
Nalbandian lost the first set to Tipsarevic...

It will be interesting to see if those who had success last week flop out in Miami. I've seen it happen before.  (I hope not...but we will see)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
still no streams for miami? strange.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
if anybody follows cricket here, history has been registered just now.......west indies(caribbean islands) hammered australia to score 145 runs in the last 12 overs of the innings in the 4th match of the 5 match series.......i am sure that's a world record.......no team before scored that many runs in the last 12 overs of an ODI innings, unless i am missing some information on the minnow nations cricket.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
Nalbandian is driving me crazy. He plays a great tournament and then he plays crap the next one. that's the life story of Nalbandian. I didn't see the match so I'm not sure what happened. anyway, kudos to Tipsy.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:31:11 PM by Alex »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
Nalby oh Nalby. Back to burgers and Grand Prix.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
Davydenko took the first set against Isner, but Isner is leading the second set 4-1 with Davy serving.

I really wanted to see this match.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2012, 04:26:28 PM »
swish - it's a crime that TennisTV.com is only airing matches starting tomorrow. What's up with that - protecting local TV?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »
swish - it's a crime that TennisTV.com is only airing matches starting tomorrow. What's up with that - protecting local TV?

I don't know, even betting sites don't have it. Probably not even cameramen are there.

There were some good matches and even a first round gives some indication of form.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »
Wow - no TV camera even!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »
Inser passes Davydenko by 3 sets.