Author Topic: WTA SONY ERICSSON OPEN, MIAMI (3/19-4/1/12)  (Read 1545 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: WTA SONY ERICSSON OPEN, MIAMI (3/19-4/1/12)
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »
Vika barely got past Cibulkova. Damn, feel bad for Cibulkova.

I hope Azarenka/Radwanska/Sharpieova can put a stop to the Williams sisters. It's just absurd - all credit to them for being that good - but it's just absurd that they can come back whenever they feel and destroy everyone, it's not a good thing for the WTA to have the sisters treat it like some local club that they can show up anytime to.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »

I hope Azarenka/Radwanska/Sharpieova can put a stop to the Williams sisters. It's just absurd - all credit to them for being that good - but it's just absurd that they can come back whenever they feel and destroy everyone, it's not a good thing for the WTA to have the sisters treat it like some local club that they can show up anytime to.
I know, it's a little pathetic. But it's not just the Williams. Clijsters and Henin did that a few years ago. It's only recently that Clijster's injuries seem to really be hampering her. Otherwise, I bet she could win slams/matches again. And if Henin had not majorly effed up her elbow, I'm sure she would be at the top too.

The Williams are looking strong and good tho. And particularly with Venus... it's a major feat. Sjogren's syndrome is not curable, so she is working thru it. There are up and down days and from what I know, it's tough to try and control that.

Azarenka seems to be a strong contender to join the Williams, Henin, Clijsters group. She seems to be strong of mind and body. And Sharapova is back in the mix.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »

I know, it's a little pathetic. But it's not just the Williams. Clijsters and Henin did that a few years ago. It's only recently that Clijster's injuries seem to really be hampering her. Otherwise, I bet she could win slams/matches again. And if Henin had not majorly effed up her elbow, I'm sure she would be at the top too.

The Williams are looking strong and good tho. And particularly with Venus... it's a major feat. Sjogren's syndrome is not curable, so she is working thru it. There are up and down days and from what I know, it's tough to try and control that.

Azarenka seems to be a strong contender to join the Williams, Henin, Clijsters group. She seems to be strong of mind and body. And Sharapova is back in the mix.

Hmm you are right. I think Serena's attitude has a lot to do with my bias against her and her sporadic returns and wins. Clijsters did win the USOpen and Aussie out of the blue but she did at least commit to the game even after her return from mom-ness. Limited schedule perhaps but she did commit. Same with Justine - and Justine never dominated once she got back. I am not against the Williams sisters - as much as I dislike Serena, I like Venus - I just don't like their inconsistency.

And Venus is justified now with the diagnosis of Sjorgen's so I wish her best of luck. It is impressive what she's doing. But Serena, no excuses. Poor attitude toward the sport, poor attitude towards her peers.. just not a good sportswoman.

Azarenka does seem solid but she doesn't have the same strengths of the Williams, or even Clijsters and Henin, she's a shade below them all. Not saying she can't dominate and in fact she seems to be best suited for it.

Edit: case in point:

"I always do kinda out of habit," Serena told reporters about the Hawk-Eye apology. "I don't mean to. I don't get enough credit for being a super nice person and clapping on good points. They only focus on me yelling at umpires.  I'm actually an unbelievable professional competitor out there."

I know people have various levels of confidence but the kind that Federer, Roddick and recently Djokovic has are good. They have lower levels of false modesty than someone like Nadal but that's fine. Serena is just messed up.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:23:38 PM by pawan89 »

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »

Did you catch that match???
Cibulkova was scary in the 3rd set.  Had Vika on the ropes and couldn't come up with the serves when it counted most.  Vika on the other hand bellyed up and knocked the serves down when she had to.

I couldn't believe Cibulkova was getting the best of her in the majority of the baseline rallies. :scared:

I used to love Da Sistahs.
Serena lives in her own reality and I just don't know about Venus anymore.  They come and go as they please which seems unprofessional to me.  How unfortunate that the WTA is a ghost town when it comes to talented players and these two can contend for title whenever it suits their fancy. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »

Hmm you are right. I think Serena's attitude has a lot to do with my bias against her and her sporadic returns and wins. Clijsters did win the USOpen and Aussie out of the blue but she did at least commit to the game even after her return from mom-ness. Limited schedule perhaps but she did commit. Same with Justine - and Justine never dominated once she got back. I am not against the Williams sisters - as much as I dislike Serena, I like Venus - I just don't like their inconsistency.

And Venus is justified now with the diagnosis of Sjorgen's so I wish her best of luck. It is impressive what she's doing. But Serena, no excuses. Poor attitude toward the sport, poor attitude towards her peers.. just not a good sportswoman.

Azarenka does seem solid but she doesn't have the same strengths of the Williams, or even Clijsters and Henin, she's a shade below them all. Not saying she can't dominate and in fact she seems to be best suited for it.

Edit: case in point:

"I always do kinda out of habit," Serena told reporters about the Hawk-Eye apology. "I don't mean to. I don't get enough credit for being a super nice person and clapping on good points. They only focus on me yelling at umpires.  I'm actually an unbelievable professional competitor out there."

I know people have various levels of confidence but the kind that Federer, Roddick and recently Djokovic has are good. They have lower levels of false modesty than someone like Nadal but that's fine. Serena is just messed up.
Don't get me wrong. I dislike both the sisters, Serena much much much more than Venus (and my Venus dislike has gotten smaller and smaller) but I respect them and have to give them credit. They are just really great, powerful, dominant tennis players. And their will to win is incredible.

I wish I hadn't read that quote...  I mean, I'm not surprised by anything that Serena says (well, that situation with the line judge was surprising) but it still annoys the heck out of me.

Yeah, Azarenka still has to prove herself some but she seems the most focused out of all the recent slam winners (Li, Kvitova, Stosur).

I remember when Henin and Clijsters were out with injuries and I'd watch as they came back and a few tourneys in their ranking would be back near the top and I'd laugh. I still laugh, looking at how little Serena plays and her great ranking.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
I know Sharapova is great and all but that's sad that Li got bageled.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »
I thought Victoria was out....but she fought back.  I watched that match and she was being flat out - out-played!  But she has really improved and she handled herself really well.  I'm proud of Victoria for coming back in that match!

All 3 of my girls are still alive (Serena, Venus, and Victoria)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope ONE of them wins the tournament!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
I usually don't watch too much WTA but Serena v Wozniacki should be good.  :)

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
really? I thought it was be 2 and 1 Serena. I like Wozy but I admit that she lacks firepower. Defense can only get u so far.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »
Well, that's a nice surprise!!! Yay for Wozy!!! She had 4 Aces!!! I was concerned there at the end that Serena was going to knock her down.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »
really? I thought it was be 2 and 1 Serena. I like Wozy but I admit that she lacks firepower. Defense can only get u so far.

True, Wozy doesn't have much power but she made some very good gets.
Serena looked out of shape and needs some court time.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
 Caroline Wozniacki (4) vs. Serena Williams (10) 6-4, 6-4 final

Felt sick that Serena lost to Caroline!  I think it the first win for her too!  Serena made a lot of mistakes in the match and because of it; she lost!  Of course she just got back in the circuit too!  Of well, I guess Serena gettting old and just does not have it yet!  Maybe Venus if she makes it that far; will revenge Serena!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »
Wow this was a miracle of 100xmuch epic-er proportions than Roddick def. Federer. Did not think Wozniacki had it in her to beat anyone who even resembled Serena

Offline Avatar

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »
like HarryWild said, it really makes me sick to think that serena lost to wozniaki.....in miami.....in the quarterfinals.....in straight sets...

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 01:26:11 AM »
again, the hell with the whole WTA thing. it's turning out to be a joke. whatever. I refuse to watch women playing tennis ... hm, unless they are naked (j/k or not)  :))
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:11:05 PM by Alex »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »
Everyone I play always plays the match of the year,” Williams said.

Williams, seeded 10th, was playing in her first tournament since January after being sidelined by a left ankle injury. She hasn’t won a title since August.

“I probably played about 20 percent,” Williams said. “I just made a tremendous amount of errors. There’s no reason for that. I’m older and I shouldn’t do that. There’s no excuse. I’ve just got to stop that. It’s silly.”

This woman. I hope people keep playing the match of the year against her andbeat her until she retires.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »
Everyone I play always plays the match of the year,” Williams said.

Williams, seeded 10th, was playing in her first tournament since January after being sidelined by a left ankle injury. She hasn’t won a title since August.

“I probably played about 20 percent,” Williams said. “I just made a tremendous amount of errors. There’s no reason for that. I’m older and I shouldn’t do that. There’s no excuse. I’ve just got to stop that. It’s silly.”

This woman. I hope people keep playing the match of the year against her andbeat her until she retires.
HA!!! What? You think she's a little high on herself? LOL. In her defense she has won a slew of slams. Of course you can win a slew of slams and STILL be somewhat down to earth, gracious, not arrogant... etc.

It only makes Wozy winning against her that much sweeter. Cause you know, someone who thinks that highly of themselves can't understand how they could lose to someone who plays like Wozy or actually anyone.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »

True, Wozy doesn't have much power but she made some very good gets.
Serena looked out of shape and needs some court time.
I watched the match on replay. Yes, Serena needs some more matches, she was rusty. Wozy seemed to have worked on her serve more. And her gets were great. Now, she just needs to add power to her FH or BH or both. There were some sitters that I know Justine, Clijsters, Serena, Venus, etc would have pounded but she just got it back deep. If she could throw that in the mix, she'd throw off her opponents.

As of now, she was lucky to get thru a rusty Serena. Sharapova is match fit and will probably pummel Wozy.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »
Nice win for Aggi!!! She stayed focused and didn't let up. Clearly Venus wasn't all there... whether it was the disease, not being match fit or combo (I suspect a combo with the disease causing 70% of her fatigue).

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »
And a great win for Bartoli!! Vika was so LOUD!!! While Bartoli was so quiet.  Interesting tourney. Most of the loud ones (and favorites) are gone, Vika, Serena, Venus. Only Sharapova left. It's Sharapova's to lose, it seems.