Author Topic: WTA SONY ERICSSON OPEN, MIAMI (3/19-4/1/12)  (Read 1478 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: WTA SONY ERICSSON OPEN, MIAMI (3/19-4/1/12)
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
I expect Sharpieova to crush Woz. And I was almost right, she was up 4-1 in the first but is now 4-3, still up a break though.

Go Radwanska!

Offline Avatar

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
Everyone I play always plays the match of the year,” Williams said.

Williams, seeded 10th, was playing in her first tournament since January after being sidelined by a left ankle injury. She hasn’t won a title since August.

“I probably played about 20 percent,” Williams said. “I just made a tremendous amount of errors. There’s no reason for that. I’m older and I shouldn’t do that. There’s no excuse. I’ve just got to stop that. It’s silly.”

This woman. I hope people keep playing the match of the year against her andbeat her until she retires.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »
I expect Sharpieova to crush Woz. And I was almost right, she was up 4-1 in the first but is now 4-3, still up a break though.

Go Radwanska!
Yeah, I thought Wozy would be crushed too but it wasn't that big a beat down. Woz needs to get some power. And work more on the serve, even tho it's gotten better.

I don't know why people say Sharapova can't move. She moves really well. She gets to MANY balls.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »
Why did the match between Agnieszka Radwanska and Marion Bartoli get suspended?  I could not watch the match and was wondering why?  Thanks.
6-4, 4-2 Radwanska  Never mind it has resumed.  Probably a bathroom break!  Hah!  Radwanska won!  6-2 in the second! 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:35:40 PM by HarryWild »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 05:53:00 AM »

Go Radwanska!
Yeah, I thought Wozy would be crushed too but it wasn't that big a beat down. Woz needs to get some power. And work more on the serve, even tho it's gotten better.

I don't know why people say Sharapova can't move. She moves really well. She gets to MANY balls.
:confused1:  She does ok.  She's just soooo lanky, it seems to me she lacks balance, grace, and fluidity.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »

Go Radwanska!

:confused1:  She does ok.  She's just soooo lanky, it seems to me she lacks balance, grace, and fluidity.
IDK. I see her get to so many balls, so I don't see how she can't be a good mover. Sure, she's lanky and stuff, like Venus. But she gets there and usually makes a winner. I think 5 years ago she wasn't getting to so many, but I see her get to a lot of balls. So in my mindset, she can move. It's not a detriment to her game. Maybe it's a weaker aspect but she gets there.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
Why did the match between Agnieszka Radwanska and Marion Bartoli get suspended?  I could not watch the match and was wondering why?  Thanks.
6-4, 4-2 Radwanska  Never mind it has resumed.  Probably a bathroom break!  Hah!  Radwanska won!  6-2 in the second!
There was a POWER FAILURE for like 15 mins. The whole stadium was dark. The announcer said the top row viewers can come down to the expensive seats, and I'm like, yeah, but how, they can't effin' see.

Bartolli was injured but continued on and was able to hang around for a bit before Aggi said enough. Lots and lots of breaks. Not a very good match serve-wise.

Sharapova (sadly) will crush Aggi unless Aggi can get those serves by Sharapova. Aggi like Wozy can smack that ball, they just don't like to, it's not their game and thus, they won't win against the Big Babe Bashers. Justine could smash as well as have lots of defense. That's the only way she survived and thrived.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »
There was a POWER FAILURE for like 15 mins. The whole stadium was dark. The announcer said the top row viewers can come down to the expensive seats, and I'm like, yeah, but how, they can't effin' see.

Bartolli was injured but continued on and was able to hang around for a bit before Aggi said enough. Lots and lots of breaks. Not a very good match serve-wise.

Sharapova (sadly) will crush Aggi unless Aggi can get those serves by Sharapova. Aggi like Wozy can smack that ball, they just don't like to, it's not their game and thus, they won't win against the Big Babe Bashers. Justine could smash as well as have lots of defense. That's the only way she survived and thrived.

I like Agie's chances. She's a better and more complete player than Woz and not as prone to getting blasted away. The only person she's lost to this year is Azarenka and Azarenka is much more stable player than Sharapova - the only way Sharapova can beat Agie is if she overpowers her and does that consistently for two sets. Which i guess is do-able but not easy if Agie plays her best, she'll induce errors from Sharpie

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »

I like Agie's chances. She's a better and more complete player than Woz and not as prone to getting blasted away. The only person she's lost to this year is Azarenka and Azarenka is much more stable player than Sharapova - the only way Sharapova can beat Agie is if she overpowers her and does that consistently for two sets. Which i guess is do-able but not easy if Agie plays her best, she'll induce errors from Sharpie

I too am pulling for Radwanska to defeat Sharpova.  It suppose to be cold on Saturday and possibly wind too!  I think conditions should favor  Radwanska.     

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »
What's the difference between Radwanska's game and Caroline's game?  Radwanska has 3 winners in this match.  THREE....

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »

I too am pulling for Radwanska to defeat Sharpova.  It suppose to be cold on Saturday and possibly wind too!  I think conditions should favor  Radwanska.   
YES!!! You guys were correct and I was wrong and I'm VERY HAPPY!!! I love Aggi's game. I do wish she had more offensive power but whatever, she won. And did it without screaming like someone was killing her.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
Kudos to Radwanska! What a nice big title for her.  :trampoline: :thumbs-up: :yahoo:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
My girl Radwanska takes the title and denies Sharapova her 4th chance to take it.  Nice!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2012, 10:53:41 PM »
Today was one of the clearest example of two opposite tennis playing styles on this display in the final.   Agnieszka Radwanska is the steady, get it back, make no mistakes type player vs. Maria Sharpova - the big hitter, big server type tennis game.   I enjoy the match from start to finish. 

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/sports/tennis/sharapova-loses-in-final-making-45-unforced-errors.html?_r=1&ref=tennis

NYTimes on Women's Final Finish Winner  -  Agnieszka Radwanska !   

March 31, 2012
Sharapova Loses in Final, Making 45 Unforced ErrorsBy EDGAR THOMPSON
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. — Agnieszka Radwanska was an 18-year-old unknown from Poland the first time she defeated Maria Sharapova, during the 2007 United States Open.

At the time, Radwanska’s third-round upset of Sharapova — the defending champion — seemed to be a fluke and was followed by four years of futility against Sharapova.

But during Saturday’s 7-5, 6-4 victory in the final of the Sony Ericsson Open, Radwanska put her struggles against Sharapova to rest, ending a six-match losing streak to further solidify a spot at the top of the women’s game.

In fact, Radwanska, with her fourth tournament title since September, made a case that she is the world’s second-best player, a spot currently held by Sharapova, who lost a title match for the third time in 2012.

Radwanska, the world’s fourth-ranked player, has lost to only one player this year — top-ranked Victoria Azarenka, who was upset in the quarterfinals here.

“It’s still far, you know, even to be No. 3, 2 or 1,” Radwanska said. “But if I’m going to play like here, on a really good level, I am hoping I can reach top three very soon.”

Radwanska’s side-to-side movement and mistake-free brand of tennis frustrated Sharapova, whose go-for-broke style produced 45 unforced errors, compared with only 10 for Radwanska.

“She was very consistent, got that extra ball back, and I made that extra mistake,” Sharapova said. “When I had my chances at break point, I didn’t take them. When she had them, she did.”

Radwanska, the No. 5 seed, cruised into Saturday’s final without losing a set and playing only one match that lasted longer than 1 hour 20 minutes — her semifinal against Marion Bartoli. But to claim the biggest of her nine career wins, Radwanska, 23, had to work harder against Sharapova, a former world No. 1 and the No. 2 seed.

Radwanska fell into a hole a number of times on her serve during the first set but was able to hold each time. She fought off a break point in the fifth and seventh games, and she trailed, 0-30, before she bounced back to win the game and take a 6-5 lead.

Meanwhile, Sharapova’s powerful serve deserted her in key moments, including the final game of each set.

Sharapova lost only seven points on her serve in the first five games of the opening set, but fell behind, 0-40, as she looked to force a tiebreaker. She never recovered.

In the eighth game of the second set, Sharapova fell behind, 0-30, but was able to hold.

Serving to stay in the match two games later, she opened the set with three consecutive errors and managed to win only one point as the pro-Sharapova crowd cheered her on.

“I was always playing from behind,” Sharapova, 24, said. “I could have lost the game on my serve at any point in that set.”

Sharapova, winner of 24 tournaments, is still seeking her first title since August in Cincinnati.

Radwanska, on the other hand, has discovered a winning formula. After the semifinals, Radwanska said she had been playing more freely since Poland’s Fed Cup captain, Tomasz Wiktorowski, replaced her father, Robert, as her coach on the road last year.

Radwanska’s father was in Florida for the tournament but returned to Poland before the final because he had already changed his flight once.

Radwanska, unsure how she would fare against one of the top fields in tennis, said she also had to change her flight a couple of times. Armed with a $712,000 first-place check, she now does not plan to return to Poland before treating herself to some shopping.

“This is a good problem, right?” she said. “Maybe tomorrow I’ll go somewhere.”

Offline mandamcakes

• New Poster
    • tarps
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »
I am really voting for Sharapova...awesome...awesome...awesome!! :))
newbielink:http://www.tarpsplus.com/meshtarps-single-tarps.html [nonactive]