Author Topic: The Physics of Topspin  (Read 1368 times)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
The Physics of Topspin
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:08:22 AM »
http://www.unc.edu/~sheng1/spin.htm
Physics Of Tennis

Let's take the discussion to a higher level, shall we?
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
Re: The Physics of Topspin
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:19:20 AM »
This is a pretty bad video. Is only lists the fundamental Newton formulas and that's it.

If you want a real scientific approach to tennis, then you could searching scholar.google.com or other public scientific repositories.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »
 :confused1:

I guess we've got to start somewhere.

I never realized the reason a slice requires less racquet head speed than top is because the ball is already spinning in that direction.  Thanks FFF.

Let's kick it up a notch.

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/tennis.html

This article summarizes the affect of poly strings.  Very nice.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/01/the-new-physics-of-tennis/8339/

So I guess here's a good question-
If the ITF realized spahgetti strings would drastically alter the game and therefore banned the strings, why have they allowed racquet head sizes to increase and poly strings to be used?  Both of those factors drastically impact the amount of spin a player can impart on the ball.

It would be like using aluminium bats in MLB, dropping the hoop to 8' in the NBA, or doubling the size of the net in soccer.  Notice I didn't mention golf because that's not a sport. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Nice clip of Raf's topspin FH.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/sports/technology/the-physics-of-tennis-racket-strings

The follow on the last 3 FH's is stunning!!! :scared:

Despite all the talk about strings and racquets, the bottom line is that swing shape and speed are the primary factors and the tools make it possible.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
The video basically contains videos of players hitting the ball with arguments that can be applied to anything about to be moved to set into motion. The three laws of Netwon do not explain explicitly topspin. They just explain how the force exerted on the ball will result into a change of inertia (state of moving or rest).
To explain topspin which is another word for rotation with an angle, I guess anyone with the smallest idea in Physics will easily suggest moment of inertia which is the reluctance of something to rotate about an axis and in the case of the ball (which is taken as a sphere) its natural axis of rotation is through its geometric center. Here comes the topspin part which is the angle at the the ball is to rotate when struck relative to its natural axis. Take for instance the planet Earth. It is slanted about 24 degrees more to its right which makes earth an example of a spinning tennis ball.
I could go on and on but really the video is not appealing in any way to curious mind.
The world awaits no genius

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/sports/technology/the-physics-of-tennis-racket-strings

Despite all the talk about strings and racquets, the bottom line is that swing shape and speed are the primary factors and the tools make it possible.

exactly.......one can only dismiss notions like "nadal would never have been successful with wooden rackets" or "nadal would break his wrists" ........if that argument is true, how was such topspin possible for borg who played with wooden rackets? primarily it's the players' technique which is responsible for his success....... 
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »

exactly.......one can only dismiss notions like "nadal would never have been successful with wooden rackets" or "nadal would break his wrists" ........if that argument is true, how was such topspin possible for borg who played with wooden rackets? primarily it's the players' technique which is responsible for his success.......

Borg hit with a lot of TS, but not as much pace. Not surprising considering the small head size and natural gut strings.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »

Borg hit with a lot of TS, but not as much pace. Not surprising considering the small head size and natural gut strings.

nadal wouldn't have needed so much pace to win back in the day, just like borg.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
Shankar - my point is to take notice of how the technology, training, diet has all progressed and led to different players with new tactics. It's changing all the time. Suddenly everyone is using the forehand drop shot after Roger won 2009 French Open.  :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »

Yup, yup.
Without the technique, the tools are useless.

FFF, somewhere in the links I provided there was an explanation as to why prior to poly, why gut was the string of choice on the ATP.  If I remember correctly, it provided the most power/spin/and feel.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:31:14 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »

FFF, somewhere in the links I provided there was an explanation as to why prior to poly, why gut was the string of choice on the ATP.  If I remember correctly, it provided the most power/spin/and feel.

This goes all the way back to the early days of Ugg and Mugg. Ugg was way better with the hand-axe then Mugg due to technique. Better hand-eye coordination.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:01 AM »

This goes all the way back to the early days of Ugg and Mugg. Ugg was way better with the hand-axe then Mugg due to technique. Better hand-eye coordination.
CONK da ball!!!