Author Topic: Nadal resigns from ATP Player Council  (Read 1988 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Nadal resigns from ATP Player Council
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »
Rafael Nadal has resigned from the ATP Players Council, a number of journalists—including the New York Times' Chris Clarey and Australia’s Craig Gabriel—reported. Clarey tweeted that Nadal has been frustrated by a lack of support from other players. Nadal told the London Times' Neil Harman in January that he was tired of the aggravation that goes along with being a board member. He and fellow council member, president Roger Federer, have disagreed over issues as of late, such as a potential two-year ranking, the schedule and time violations.

Interesting. Can someone shed some light on the ATP Players Council, who it consits of, what they do and what has been their significant contribution in the last decade or two? I am very much un-aware of it's details.

It seems like Nadal was trying to push for some changes. I think that's a good thing, to suggest and push for positive changes. But he quit? That seems like a bold and somewhat questionable move. Is his frustration on court stemming over to other things? Or is this part of the something else that's also been showing up on court? How does this affect how people look at him and will this help/hurt his game and chances as a tennis player?

Seems to me he's a little frustrated and wants to get rid of all extra-curricular things that are even remotely bothering him and focusing on just his tennis, which is a very wise decision.

Also, please don't turn this into a Roger vs. Rafa thread, but we can discuss the views. Perhaps the fact that he wasn't getting support meant Rafa should reconsider his views? Like I said, i think it's good to suggest changes and be pro-active but doesn't mean you quit or get angry when you don't get support. I personally don't agree with the two year ranking, that makes no sense whatsoever to me. As far as the time violations, I think it has to be a joint effort between the umpires AND the players. Umpires should be a little harsher but at the same time, they can't give violations for every point in a Djokovic-Nadal match, the players should also help the cause and speed up a bit. The same applies to shrieking in the WTA. If the players don't cooperate and take the first steps to improvement, it's a downward spiral because the game is driven by the players - especially the top players. If they do something and it's "ok" then everyone's going to follow suit.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: Nadal resigns from ATP Player Council
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
Rafael Nadal resigns as ATP players' body vice-president after lack of movement on changes to ranking system

The tensions at the top of men’s tennis were thrown into relief yesterday by the news that a frustrated Rafael Nadal has quit his role as vice-president of the player council.

Nadal’s resignation appears to have had little to do with the main issue preoccupying the player council at present, which is the size of their pay packets at the four grand slam tournaments.

Rather, it has been triggered by the lack of movement on Nadal’s pet project, the introduction of a two-year ranking system. He has argued repeatedly that this is the best way to prolong the careers of the leading players, by making it easier for them to withdraw from tournaments when they have physical ailments.

But Roger Federer, who is supposed to work with Nadal as president of the player council, has stated his own objection to the two-year idea. “I think it would make things rather boring,” he said in December. “It would be a struggle for lower-ranked players to make the breakthrough.”

The other main point of difference between the sport’s two most famous players was around the appointment of the new ATP chief executive, a post that was given to Brad Drewett around the turn of the year.

Nadal backed the application of former Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek, believing that as a top-10 player from the 1990s, Krajicek would be more likely to feel sympathetic towards his complaints of overload.

But Federer took the view that Krajicek, who now works as tournament director of the Rotterdam Open, was insufficiently experienced in the business world. The result was that Drewett, formerly the director of the ATP’s operations in the Pacific and Asian regions, came in as a compromise candidate.

The player council consists of 12 members, including six members of the world top 100 in men’s singles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/9168264/Rafael-Nadal-resigns-as-ATP-players-body-vice-president-after-lack-of-movement-on-changes-to-ranking-system.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:05:14 PM by pawan89 »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »
Whatever.  :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ)
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
If we have more info on what were the changes Rafa was pushing for, this topic could be more interesting. His views are his and what the media reports about this is hugely biased and we have no information whatsoever.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
with all respect to Nadal and his fans, his idea of 2 year ranking is the most retarded thing ever.... simply stupid.  :confused1:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
If we have more info on what were the changes Rafa was pushing for, this topic could be more interesting. His views are his and what the media reports about this is hugely biased and we have no information whatsoever.

He wanted a 2 year ranking system.
Less mandatory tournaments.
Not sure about the shot clock but IIRC he thought it was fine the way it is.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »
What I find most incredulous is all the players were on board with Nadal's stupid ideas except for Federer.  :scared:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
What I find most incredulous is all the players were on board with Nadal's stupid ideas except for Federer.  :scared:

That 2 year system.........  :yuk:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »
with all respect to Nadal and his fans, his idea of 2 year ranking is the most retarded thing ever.... simply stupid.  :confused1:

I agree,2 years is retarded & stupid.

Online ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:19:41 AM »
Nadal and fellow council member, president Roger Federer, have disagreed over issues as of late, such as a potential two-year ranking, the schedule and time violations.

the two-year ranking system SUCKS !!!
i see only the top3 excluding fed ( nadal, nole & murray ) complaining about the schedule !!
 shortening the schedule might make a negative impact on lower ranked players..:(
time violation....i think only nadal's bothered by that.. :)~
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
one more thing... as much as Fed is driving me crazy sometimes with his interviews ... he really does an amazing job on the council. He represents lower ranked players very well. Rog does understand that's he is there to help to other players ... Him, Djokovic and Nadal are multimillionaires... big stars, they need nothing.

I'm kinda disappointed with Nadal here.  My feeling is that he tried to push things that will benefit him ... not other players.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
....time violations..... :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
to all those saying his decisions would benefit only him, i will ask you one thing.......how many times did rafa drop down to below no.2 in the last 8 seasons? 

do you even know who ultimately benefits from the 2 year ranking system? it's the ATP.......

most probably the truth is that nadal was only a parrot who was made to sound in favour of that ranking system.......the real voice behind that is ATP.......2 year ranking system allows top players to stick to their positions for long and that benefits ATP who are always busy making money over reputed players.......

another thing is why talk only about that ranking system? nadal also made the following points,

1. increasing the prize money for low level players

2. decreasing mandatory tournaments (wish of every top 30 player on the tour)

3. season length

4. reducing the no. of brutal hardcourt tournaments

nothing was going to change and nadal realized that.......so he quit.......why would he care when they are not going to listen to him or others in the council anyway? i don't think even djokovic is all that interested in that position either, they all know that they are only puppets in the hands of ATP.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP)—Rafael Nadal has resigned as vice president of the ATP Player Council, saying he can no longer give the job the attention it needs.

“I don’t have enough energy,” Nadal said Tuesday. “I cannot still put in my 100 percent there.”

Nadal pushed unsuccessfully for a two-year ranking system, a proposal opposed by other players, including council president Roger Federer.

Nadal and Federer were in agreement on other issues, arguing the major tournaments are too powerful and players need a stronger voice in decisions. Both were critical last year of the U.S. Open schedule.

Nadal, who has complained the tennis calendar puts too many demands on players, acknowledged there are unresolved issues.

“I am not frustrated,” he said. But he added, “I believe that we can do much more things than what we have done. … My feeling is a great opportunity to improve the sport, because today the players are very unified.”

Nadal spoke after winning his fourth-round match at the Sony Ericsson Open.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:57:34 PM by pawan89 »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
what does that prove? he pushed hard for other issues as well but ATP din't care anything.......media are media, nothing new.......they like stirring up s**t.......do you really think ATP are going to implement other advices agreed both by rafa and fed? of course not.......that player council is a joke, it's there because it's there.......all the power is with ATP.......that's it.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
2 year ranking system is still dumb IMO

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 06:36:12 PM »
Good thing Cheatdull is gone.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
:mad1: :mad1: :mad1:  I disagree with my fav player but then this was bad.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »
:mad1: :mad1: :mad1:  I disagree with my fav player but then this was bad.

I don't give a s**t, with the disgraceful way the Nadull fans were behaving last night.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
On this board?