Author Topic: Poly String Problems  (Read 670 times)

Offline goodsguys

• Tennis Player
Poly String Problems
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
Hi. And thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I am using a ncode n2 121 sq inch racket and have just switched to poly string for the first time as i heard it is good for spin potential. Previously i used the string which the racket came with which i think was nylon.

Playing with the poly string for the first time i can say it is a terrible string. Every shot i hit just went into the net. I don't understand. I am hitting the ball in the same manner, hitting at the right point on the ball as usual but the shots have absolutly no accuracy.

Has anyone else switched to poly and had the same experience.

At a guess i suspect the nylon string had more of a bounce to it so that shots carried higher and went over the net, but the poly is making my shots go all over the place.

Do i have to hit the ball in a different manner with poly string. Can anyone please advise.

Many thanks. John.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Poly String Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 12:32:02 PM »
I had no issues when I switched to it.  I was using the run of the mill Prince and Wilson synthetic and made the switch.  It was almost seamless.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »

How long had you used the nylon?
Did it come off the shelf like that or did you have it strung & if so at what tension.
My hunch is the nylon that came with the stick had probably lost all it's tension.  This normally results in a trampoline effect.
Switching to the poly which is extremely stiff and the associated increase in tension would cause it to feel like hitting a ball with a 2 x 4.

That's the beauty of poly and why the pros love it.
It allows them to swing as hard and fast as possible and still control the ball with massive spin.
Before you cut it out and return to nylon, try swinging faster.
Could be that your strokes aren't suited for this type of string.

As we've discussed in another thread, contrary to the belief amongst many hackers that poly strings create the spin, nothing could be further from the truth.  It is primarily the player's swing shape which creates the spin, the poly only allows a player to swing faster with control.

Good luck!
Keep us posted with your progress. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
I had no issues when I switched to it.  I was using the run of the mill Prince and Wilson synthetic and made the switch.  It was almost seamless.
It doesn't make any difference what string you use when most of your shots hit the frame.
Shank you very much.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:10:33 PM »
It doesn't make any difference what string you use when most of your shots hit the frame.
Shank you very much.

Well, I did not want to disclose that just yet...
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Shank you very much.

Well, I did not want to disclose that just yet...
We demand transparency from our leaders! :)>>>>
CONK da ball!!!

Online dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »
I've been away from the board for a few years, but I have to drop in to comment on this thread as it's something that has frustrated me over the years.
Poly does not give you more spin. That has been proven in tests with a machine that hits the ball the same way with the same swing trajectory, with different strings. The result was no, repeat NO, increase in spin with poly over gut or nylon.
So why does poly increase spin?
Monster touched on the answer, but didn't give it. It does have to do with the lack of trampoline effect with poly. It does give less distance. The fact is, I don't think I've ever read anybody actually give the answer.
The answer is the less distance you get from poly means you HAVE to swing harder to get the ball to go the same distance. You need to increase the velocity of the racquet as it meets the ball. With the natural upper cut swings we tennis players use, that gives us more spin. More spin however also means less length. So we have to swing even harder, to overcome the lack of length and the spin, giving us even more spin.
Eventually, we find the balance between speed of swing, height trajectory, and depth.
So there is nothing wrong with the poly you are using, and there is nothing wrong with you. You just need to swing harder (correctly, to keep from injuring yourself), and add height to your ball to get it to go over the net.
It's a matter of practice and repetition (which is how you learn tennis in the first place). If you give yourself a chance, you will get used to it. I didn't like it at all when I first hit with it as well. I got used to it.
The bottom line is; the faster racquet speed from the harder swings gives us more spin, though this is necessary because we are hitting with poly.
The same effect can be had by stringing your racquet at 80  PSI (which is what Bjorn Borg did). That will give you the same lack of power that poly gives you. It's just not recommended as you will have racquets snapping at odd times like Borg did. Manufacturers won't replace a racquet that breaks because you strung it outside of their recommended parameters.
One final comment, if you don't swing correctly, you should not be using poly. You should be swing with your shoulders not your arms. Talk to a tennis pro if you are not sure about it.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »
Nice to see your doing fine Dmastous.  :cool:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »
Great hearing from you DM  :)) . I wish you could feel able to contribute more often.  What are you doing these days? I really enjoyed meeting you in Columbus a few years back.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:44:31 AM »
Shank you very much.

That sounds personally familiar. Sometimes I wonder if I really need the strings.  :(

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 09:21:28 AM »
Whoa!  Good to see you drop by dm!
Scott Baker

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
dmast!! good to see you around!!!  we all miss you hear buddy!! hope everything's going well with you

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
Poly strings usually call for a lowering of your tension by 10%-15% because the strings are stiffer and will not flex as much.  You need to experiment too.  But I been using Rafa's strings - RPM Blast 16 and I just still have a lot of control on my Head Prestige Flexipoint 98 strung at 54 lbs.  It cool looking since my strings where the first in the market and it was gloss and the Prestige is red, black and white.   Later on they change the gloss to dull - ugh!  I play with it now after 18 months?? and it plays even better since the tension is probably around the low 40s if that!  Of course, I switch rackets pretty much every other week - KProstaff 88, Prestige Flexpoint 98 and Prestige IG Mid 92!   

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 07:01:39 AM »
Big D! ://

I recently stumbled across some info from Rod Cross which suggests less friction and a bit of a 'snap back' effect of the mains.
I'm not sure if this means a 'trampoline' effect or more of a sideways slide.  I've never thought of poly strings sliding as much as others.

Thank you for clarifying the gist of my origianl post DMast.
Nicely done as usual.

Hope all is well and that you are where you want to be.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 07:54:47 AM »
Poly strings usually call for a lowering of your tension by 10%-15% because the strings are stiffer and will not flex as much. You need to experiment too.  But I been using Rafa's strings - RPM Blast 16 and I just still have a lot of control on my Head Prestige Flexipoint 98 strung at 54 lbs.  It cool looking since my strings where the first in the market and it was gloss and the Prestige is red, black and white.   Later on they change the gloss to dull - ugh!  I play with it now after 18 months?? and it plays even better since the tension is probably around the low 40s if that!  Of course, I switch rackets pretty much every other week - KProstaff 88, Prestige Flexpoint 98 and Prestige IG Mid 92!   

I found they did indeed feel stiffer when I used them the first time.  I dropped the tension by a pound and that made me feel better.  Probably still a hair tighter.

I thought Poly was supposed to keep it's tension better, I could be wrong.  Mine seem to keep their tension well but I only get 4-5 matches out of them before they pop.
Scott Baker

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 11:10:45 PM »
Poly strings usually call for a lowering of your tension by 10%-15% because the strings are stiffer and will not flex as much. You need to experiment too.  But I been using Rafa's strings - RPM Blast 16 and I just still have a lot of control on my Head Prestige Flexipoint 98 strung at 54 lbs.  It cool looking since my strings where the first in the market and it was gloss and the Prestige is red, black and white.   Later on they change the gloss to dull - ugh!  I play with it now after 18 months?? and it plays even better since the tension is probably around the low 40s if that!  Of course, I switch rackets pretty much every other week - KProstaff 88, Prestige Flexpoint 98 and Prestige IG Mid 92!   

I found they did indeed feel stiffer when I used them the first time.  I dropped the tension by a pound and that made me feel better.  Probably still a hair tighter.

I thought Poly was supposed to keep it's tension better, I could be wrong.  Mine seem to keep their tension well but I only get 4-5 matches out of them before they pop.

I think you are right that poly is suppose to be good a retaining tension.  I still feel that my FlexiPoint is in the mid-forties!  Cannot complaint about the tension and this getting close to two years.  You suppose to restring every year; but I do not do that if I can still play with the strings with confidences!   Of course, it all psychological too.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 05:12:22 AM »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 05:58:47 AM »
Polys do not hold tension well if strung to tightly.

http://www.stringforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=856

http://ggtennis.wordpress.com/2011/03/17/the-definitive-guide-to-stringing-polys-and-co-polys/

40-50 lbs. max!

Okay so my FlexiPoint is low 40s range.  Still has the spring in the strings.  That what counts!

Offline goodsguys

• Tennis Player
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 01:58:10 AM »
Hi. Many thanks for the replies. It is very much appreciated.

I took a few days off to try the advice given and have got back some control over the ball - Thanks!!

At the moment i have a full poly set up,

1.  Am i right in thinking that this gives more power and spin compared to a good hybrid but at the expense of comfort - i'm not too bothered over the comfort issue.

2. And if it is the stiffness of poly strings what would be the effect of using a stiffer poly or upping the tension to create a stiffer poly, would this increase the spin or power or anything.

Many thanks in advance. John.