Author Topic: WTA CHARLESTON FAMILY CUPP CIRCLE 3/31-4/8/12  (Read 907 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: WTA CHARLESTON FAMILY CUPP CIRCLE 3/31-4/8/12
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35:55 AM »
40Love: A Night of Empowerment Celebrating 40 Years of the Family Circle Cup, a special evening presented by Dove

Saturday, April 7th, 2012.
 *Promptly at 7:00pm

Highlights:
 Original 9 Reunion
 Stadium Court Dedication to Billie Jean King
 Star-Studded Tennis Exhibition Benefitting the WTBA Player Assistance Fund
     Coaches:  Billie Jean King and Virginia Wade
     Players: Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Tracy Austin, Martina Hingis, Rennae Stubbs, John McEnroe, Aaron Krickstein

Nikki Haley, Governor, South Carolina, Stacey Allaster, CEO, Women’s Tennis Association, and several representatives from Dove will be present to recognize the Family Circle Cup and the Original 9.

In September 1970, the birth of women's professional tennis was launched when nine female tennis players signed $1 contracts with World Tennis publications publisher Gladys Heldman to compete in what would become the Virginia Slims Series. The Original 9, as they were called, included Billie Jean King, Rosie Casals, Nancy Richey, Kerry Melville Reid, Peaches Bartkowicz, Kristy Pigeon, Judy Tegart Dalton, Valerie Ziegenfuss and Julie Heldman. They have previously reunited in 1980 (US Open, NYC), 1986 (Virginia Slims Championships, NYC), and 1989 (Slims of Houston, TX).

Additional 40Love honorees will include Fern Lee “Peachy” Kellmeyer, the first employee and director of the WTA in 1973, a direct contributor to the creation of the Title IX amendment, and International Tennis Hall of Fame inductee. Kellmeyer currently serves as WTA Operations Executive Consultant. She is also a member of the ITF Fed Cup Committee and oversees the WTA's alumni program to ensure that past players and tournament directors remain engaged with the WTA that they helped build. During Kellmeyer's tenure, prize money on the WTA has increased from $309,000 in 1973 to more than $90,000,000 in 2012, and the number of WTA events has increased from 23 domestic tournaments to 53 events in 33 different countries.

"The WTA has been extremely fortunate to have the Family Circle Cup as its partner for 40 years and I congratulate them on running one of our most prestigious events," said Stacey Allaster, Chairman and CEO of the WTA. "We are excited to celebrate Family Circle Cup's landmark anniversary along with the reunion of our Original 9 trailblazers. These amazing champions helped shape women's professional tennis into the number one professional sport for women and it is wonderful to bring them all back together to celebrate the historic achievements of the past 40 years at the Family Circle Cup."

“Women’s tennis is about more than serving up exciting match play,” said Rob Candelino, Vice President, Brand Building, for Unilever Skincare. “Dove® believes that when girls see positive female role models in action at the Family Circle Cup, it helps expand their definition of beauty and builds their self-esteem to better equip them to become future leaders. Our brand and the Family Circle Cup have a shared commitment to helping women and girls reach their full potential, on and off the court.”
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »
Stosur getting smoked so far.  She has won 1 of 9 games.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
Serena give Stosur bread sticks, wow. 
Scott Baker

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
Saturday, April 7, 2012

Singles - Semifinals

(5) Serena Williams (USA) d. (2) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 61 61 in 59 minutes
(9) Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. (14) Polona Hercog (SLO) 60 60 in 1h04' 

Doubles - Semifinals
(WC) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova/ Lucie Safarova (RUS/CZE) d. (1) Liezel Huber/ Lisa Raymond (USA/USA) 64 76(9) in 1h33'
Anabel Medina Garrigues/ Yaroslava Shvedova (ESP/KAZ) d. Natalie Grandin/ Vladimira Uhlirova (RSA/CZE) 61 63 in 1h01'

Serena Sizzles In SFs, Safarova Sizzles Too

Saying afterwards it was one of the best matches she has played in her whole career, Serena Williams put on an immaculate display of power tennis in the semifinals of the Family Circle Cup on Saturday, firing 29 winners in just 58 minutes to completely outdo Sam Stosur, 61 61.

Williams had lost a few high-profile matches to Stosur in her career, including last year's US Open final and their only clay court meeting, the quarterfinals of the French Open two years ago. But this was a complete decimation, with Williams firing on all cylinders from the very start and hitting an average of one winner every two minutes - most lethal was her forehand, with 12 winners.

"I have to say this is probably the best match I've played in my career either in a long time or it's up there in the Top 5," Williams said afterwards. "Sam is such an excellent clay court player, and she's Top 10, Top 5, so playing someone that's so good and doing so well is honestly a really good match for me.

"It was one of those days I could have done anything against anybody. Maybe I could have beaten Andy again. I'm definitely ready for him now - just today."

After one of her swinging forehand winners, Williams did a double twirl fist pump. "That was the shot with my eyes closed," she said with a smile. "I didn't mean to spin, and I was on the clay and I kept spinning, and I was like, 'Oh my God, this is so embarrassing right now. I hope nobody remembers this.'"

Stosur didn't play badly at all: she was a solid -2 on winners to errors (seven winners and nine errors). But Williams' +14 differential was just too much.

"To be honest, I actually felt pretty good out there," Stosur said. "My body wasn't aching or really all that tired to be honest, so unfortunately I can't use that as an excuse. I just thought she played very, very well today. I barely got a look in. I tried standing back and standing in, but it didn't really seem to matter what I did on the court today. She came out with the goods every time.

"It wasn't bad luck. She just beat me fair and square."

Williams elaborated on her respect for Stosur: "She's a great player. She has a Grand Slam under her belt, and she beat me in the final of that and played unbelievable. When you're playing someone like her, you have to play well or you're going to lose. So that was my mindset, 'Okay, I'm playing Sam, a great player, so I either come or go home. Go big or go home. Life.'"

Perhaps inspired by Williams' form, No.9 seed Lucie Safarova dropped a 60 60 victory on No.14 seed Polona Hercog in the second semifinal of the day, taking just 64 minutes and fighting off all three of Hercog's game points in the match to record the first double bagel victory of her career at the WTA level.

Williams will be going for her 40th WTA title, which would make her just the third active player to capture that many after Venus Williams (43) and Kim Clijsters (41); she goes in with a 39-15 career record in WTA finals.

Safarova is going for her fifth and biggest WTA title, having won her first four at International events. This is her third Premier final, having been runner-up twice at Paris [Indoors] (to Nadia Petrova in 2007 and Elena Dementieva in 2010).

Williams has beaten Safarova all four times they have played, though Safarova has pushed two of those to three sets (including one last summer).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:12:53 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline mjjeyes

• Tennis Player
  • Serena Forever
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
Serena played great today, but her serve was very shaky, only 50% + of first serve in, but still amazing to watch. Hope she plays like this tomorrow  :)>>>> 

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »
Serena Goes For 40th Career Title In 40th Family Circle Cup

Serena Williams will be going for her 40th WTA title at the 40th edition of the Family Circle Cup, but another player hungry for their biggest career title - Lucie Safarova - will try to stop her from that perfect ending.

Williams is on the verge of joining a very special club, with her sister Venus Williams (43) and Kim Clijsters (41) the only players to cross that 40th WTA title milestone - but after her impressive display on Saturday, beating World No.5 and former Family Circle Cup champion Sam Stosur in just 58 minutes, 61 61, she goes into the final as a strong favorite.

Safarova has been in top form this week too, though - not only did she upset the No.4 seed this week, Vera Zvonareva, but she also scored her very first double bagel win in the semifinals against Polona Hercog. She has never won a Premier-level title but does hold one advantage today.

"I grew up on clay, and the green clay is a little bit faster, so it's even better for me than red clay," the 25-year-old Safarova said. "To play Serena is always a great challenge. I'm really looking forward to it. I've never beaten her but we've had some good matches in the past."

Williams is 4-0 head-to-head, but Safarova pushed two of those matches to three sets.

The doubles final features a pair of teams looking for their first titles as a team - Spanish-Kazakh duo Anabel Medina Garrigues and Yaroslava Shvedova and Russian-Czech duo Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Safarova.

Sunday, April 8, 2012, OOP

Stadium (from 13.00hrs)

1. Singles Final: Lucie Safarova vs. Serena Williams
2. Doubles Final: Pavlyuchenkova/Safarova vs. Medina Garrigues/Shvedova (after suitable rest)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:48:44 PM by conchita »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 08:13:32 AM »
It's been good to have you back Conchita!  I hope you stick around some after this tourney.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 09:13:04 AM »
Thank you very much for your kind words, Scott!  :) I'll try to stick around during the clay season and then this year it's all about Wimbledon: the Major and the Olympics. Feel very sad Charleston is soon over, without Amelia Island in the calendar, the green clay just makes this event unique!  :)

Family Circle Tennis Cup
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:14:26 PM by conchita »

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
Serena's a beast. Dominating everyone. I think she got really mad about that AO result and worked hard to get back to shape. FO champion, probably.  ..-)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
oh dear, when was the last time a player won the semi 60 60 and then lost the final 60 60??
well, Safarova just won the 10th game!!!!

Serena just kept getting better in the event, in fact her most difficult match was the 2nd round against last year finalist Vesnina 63 64, then Erakovic 62 62, then Lisicki retired at 41, Stosur 61 61 and now!!! wow! what an incredible fashion to win her 40th title! 

final score: something very special, huge performance, Serena d. Safarova 60 61 in 58 minutes!

just wishing that green clay of Charleston will be the same as the grass of the olympics at Wimby....
and Serena wins the only big thing left in her careeer: the gold medal in singles.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:15:44 PM by conchita »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »
Serena comes through with ease.  Yikes!  French Open contenders should be afraid!
Scott Baker

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
Serena made me happy!  Go Serena!  Now I hope she can keep this form up!

Offline Avatar

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 03:51:40 PM »
way to go, girl!  :thumbs-up:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »
Serena Sends Message, Wins 40th WTA Title

A day after a semifinal win she said was one of the best matches of her career, Serena Williams brought that same form out again for the final of the Family Circle Cup, routing Lucie Safarova in 58 minutes, 60 61, to cross another milestone - the 40th WTA title of her illustrious career.

On Saturday, the No.5-seeded Williams defeated a No.2-seeded Sam Stosur in just 58 minutes, 61 61, compiling an almost unheard of +14 differential on clay against one of the best clay courters out there (29 winners to 15 errors).

Williams did even better against the No.9-seeded Safarova in the final, winning the first nine games of the match to build a 60 30 lead; Safarova held at love to get on the board, but Williams won another three games to close it out, 60 61.

The match time of the final was the same as her semifinal, 58 minutes, but her differential was an even better +19 (27 winners to just eight errors).

When asked about playing so unbelievably well in the last two rounds, Williams declared she didn't want the momentum to end. "I hope I can make it three and four and five and six and more and more and more," she said. "I definitely want to continue this. I've never played consistently at such a high level with low errors like this, and the scary thing is I could have served so much better."

The American moves from No.10 to No.9 now, but with nothing to defend until the grass court season, and nothing substantial to defend until the summer hardcourt season, she could make a run back towards where she once was.

"I have nothing to defend. June - Wimbledon I didn't do anything, Eastbourne I won one match, so that doesn't count. I did pretty well in the summer, but then I dropped off again until this tournament. So I really am like a floating bird.

"It's motivating for me to go home and work harder, because I know Lucie and Sam and everyone is going to work hard, too. Now they know what to expect even more when they play me. This is a battle, and I want to continue to win.

"My next tournament is Madrid."

And how will Williams celebrate her latest triumph? "I'm going on HSN tonight at midnight. I will be launching my new collection," she said. "That's how I'll be celebrating, with a new line. I'm actually excited about it. Some great things."

Williams lost just 15 games all week - the fewest en route to a WTA title this year. But the biggest stat might be winning that 40th WTA title, just the third active player to get to 40 (Venus Williams has 43, Kim Clijsters has 41).

It was only Williams' fourth WTA clay court title, but they've all been big ones - Rome and Roland Garros in 2002, and Charleston twice now, 2008 and 2012.

Safarova still had a stellar week, reaching her third Premier final (she was also a finalist at Paris [Indoors] in 2007 and 2010) and recording some meaningful wins the last two rounds, over Vera Zvonareva in the quarterfinals (her 14th Top 10 win) and Polona Hercog in the semifinals (her first career double bagel).

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Singles - Final

(5) Serena Williams (USA) d. (9) Lucie Safarova (CZE) 60 61 in 58 minutes

Pavlyuchenkova & Safarova Capture Doubles Title

In a field that included four of the world's Top 5 doubles teams, it was wildcards Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Lucie Safarova that came out on top, capping their week with a 57 64 106 win over Anabel Medina Garrigues and Yaroslava Shvedova.

Pavlyuchenkova and Safarova beat No.3 seeds Sania Mirza and Elena Vesnina and No.1 seeds Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond en route to the final, then beat the odds again, rallying from a set and a break down to overcome Medina Garrigues and Shvedova.

It was particularly meaningful for Safarova, who had not only reached one of the biggest WTA finals of her career earlier in the day - Serena Williams outdid her for the singles title - but it was the Czech's first ever WTA doubles title.

"It's amazing," Safarova said of the doubles breakthrough. "Nastia and I got our first wildcard in Miami and made the quarters, and here we got our second wildcard and won it. I like doubles. I really enjoy it and it seems we fit as partners."

Pavlyuchenkova won her third WTA doubles title, but first at the Premier level.

Medina Garrigues and Shvedova had taken out No.4 seeds Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka en route to the final. The other star team in the draw, No.2 seeds Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik, lost to Natalie Grandin and Vladimira Uhlirova.

Doubles - Final
(WC) Pavlyuchenkova/Safarova (RUS/CZE) d. Medina Garrigues/Shvedova (ESP/KAZ) 57 64 106 in 1h48'

Family Circle Final Trophy Presentation-Serena Williams Champion.mpg
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:41:27 PM by conchita »

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
Saturday, April 7, 2012

Singles - Semifinals

(5) Serena Williams (USA) d. (2) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 61 61 in 59 minutes
(9) Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. (14) Polona Hercog (SLO) 60 60 in 1h04' 

Doubles - Semifinals
(WC) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova/ Lucie Safarova (RUS/CZE) d. (1) Liezel Huber/ Lisa Raymond (USA/USA) 64 76(9) in 1h33'
Anabel Medina Garrigues/ Yaroslava Shvedova (ESP/KAZ) d. Natalie Grandin/ Vladimira Uhlirova (RSA/CZE) 61 63 in 1h01'

Serena Sizzles In SFs, Safarova Sizzles Too

Saying afterwards it was one of the best matches she has played in her whole career, Serena Williams put on an immaculate display of power tennis in the semifinals of the Family Circle Cup on Saturday, firing 29 winners in just 58 minutes to completely outdo Sam Stosur, 61 61.

Williams had lost a few high-profile matches to Stosur in her career, including last year's US Open final and their only clay court meeting, the quarterfinals of the French Open two years ago. But this was a complete decimation, with Williams firing on all cylinders from the very start and hitting an average of one winner every two minutes - most lethal was her forehand, with 12 winners.

"I have to say this is probably the best match I've played in my career either in a long time or it's up there in the Top 5," Williams said afterwards. "Sam is such an excellent clay court player, and she's Top 10, Top 5, so playing someone that's so good and doing so well is honestly a really good match for me.

"It was one of those days I could have done anything against anybody. Maybe I could have beaten Andy again. I'm definitely ready for him now - just today."

After one of her swinging forehand winners, Williams did a double twirl fist pump. "That was the shot with my eyes closed," she said with a smile. "I didn't mean to spin, and I was on the clay and I kept spinning, and I was like, 'Oh my God, this is so embarrassing right now. I hope nobody remembers this.'"

Stosur didn't play badly at all: she was a solid -2 on winners to errors (seven winners and nine errors). But Williams' +14 differential was just too much.

"To be honest, I actually felt pretty good out there," Stosur said. "My body wasn't aching or really all that tired to be honest, so unfortunately I can't use that as an excuse. I just thought she played very, very well today. I barely got a look in. I tried standing back and standing in, but it didn't really seem to matter what I did on the court today. She came out with the goods every time.

"It wasn't bad luck. She just beat me fair and square."

Williams elaborated on her respect for Stosur: "She's a great player. She has a Grand Slam under her belt, and she beat me in the final of that and played unbelievable. When you're playing someone like her, you have to play well or you're going to lose. So that was my mindset, 'Okay, I'm playing Sam, a great player, so I either come or go home. Go big or go home. Life.'"

Perhaps inspired by Williams' form, No.9 seed Lucie Safarova dropped a 60 60 victory on No.14 seed Polona Hercog in the second semifinal of the day, taking just 64 minutes and fighting off all three of Hercog's game points in the match to record the first double bagel victory of her career at the WTA level.

Williams will be going for her 40th WTA title, which would make her just the third active player to capture that many after Venus Williams (43) and Kim Clijsters (41); she goes in with a 39-15 career record in WTA finals.

Safarova is going for her fifth and biggest WTA title, having won her first four at International events. This is her third Premier final, having been runner-up twice at Paris [Indoors] (to Nadia Petrova in 2007 and Elena Dementieva in 2010).

Williams has beaten Safarova all four times they have played, though Safarova has pushed two of those to three sets (including one last summer).

Good picture.