Author Topic: John Isner  (Read 1643 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: John Isner
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
pawan, I'm watching Isner-Monaco.

Isner has already faced 14 BPs against his serve; was broken twice in the first set but the first set went 29' so those games were quick. He won the second set 6-3 in about an hour (not official). So, though he never was broken in the second set, he labored through his service games.

And keep in mind, this is going at least 4 sets in best of 5.

Monaco 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 more importantly 2h 28', Isner's third Best of 3 set matches exceeding 2 hours.

Isner faced 16 BPs and was broken 3 times after holding 45 consecutive service games thru the SF.

this is very illuminating Babs. and definitely doesn't bode well for Isner. How was he able to break-through to the top 10 anyway? I guess if you have a serve like Isner's and you are willing to labor out there for hours and hours like much of the folks without that weapon, you're going to catch a break somewhere.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 08:37:50 PM »
pawan, I'm watching Isner-Monaco.

Isner has already faced 14 BPs against his serve; was broken twice in the first set but the first set went 29' so those games were quick. He won the second set 6-3 in about an hour (not official). So, though he never was broken in the second set, he labored through his service games.

And keep in mind, this is going at least 4 sets in best of 5.

Monaco 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 more importantly 2h 28', Isner's third Best of 3 set matches exceeding 2 hours.

Isner faced 16 BPs and was broken 3 times after holding 45 consecutive service games thru the SF.

this is very illuminating Babs. and definitely doesn't bode well for Isner. How was he able to break-through to the top 10 anyway? I guess if you have a serve like Isner's and you are willing to labor out there for hours and hours like much of the folks without that weapon, you're going to catch a break somewhere.

It took a while for me to assess Big John. I am a fan but I believe he's up against expectations that are driving up his stock but that he won't be capable of fulfilling: people are talking about him going deep into the second week of a slam. I say 4R, nothing more than QF. His stock is so high right now it's a good time to sell.  :)

Honestly, Big John is one of the few guys who would benefit from being unseeded. If he could face one of the Big 3/4 in 1R, they'd absolutely crap themselves. A win and he'd assume their top seed in that quarter of the draw. Of course, he'd still have to win several more matches in a row, and I think he'd still crap out at 4R. But at least he'd have a huge scalp in his pocket.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:39:34 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »
DOH!

I thought his best result at the USO was 4R (2009). I forgot that he did get to the QF. This doesn't change my thinking: 4R, QF best.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 11:23:37 AM »
I'm not a fan of Isner...but I don't have anything against him either.  It just doesn't matter one way or the other what he does in tennis as far as I'm concerned.  I have seen some improvements from when he first came up - with him basically being a "server" and nothing else.  Now he does have some pretty good ground strokes but he definitely need to work on his movement.  However, with him being "tree" tall...I guess movement will suffer.  When he's "on", he looks really great.  But then he can play like he played on Sunday and then you think "he won't win a major".

But among all the Americans, right now, he should be considered the #1 American (on form).  Fish is going down; Roddick is going no where...there isn't much to "celebrate" for American men tennis right now other than Isner.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
I like John for a lot of reasons.
He stuck with college and graduated, didn't let the limelight of tennis deter him from his goal there.
He works hard and has improved his ground game and is trying to get his movement better.
He doesn't look as clumsy as he used to so the work is paying off.

He's also limited because of his body type, there's only so much that can be done as far as movement.

He'll have a hard time fighting with the best though, too many things depend on lightning fast court coverage and the serve can take you only so far.

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »
He stuck with college and graduated, didn't let the limelight of tennis deter him from his goal there.
He works hard and has improved his ground game and is trying to get his movement better.

He's also limited because of his body type, there's only so much that can be done as far as movement.

He'll have a hard time fighting with the best though, too many things depend on lightning fast court coverage and the serve can take you only so far.
Isner's service is one of the best in the tournament, but he has to improve some areas of his game, as the backhand. He can not depend only on the service.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »

Isner's service is one of the best in the tournament, but he has to improve some areas of his game, as the backhand. He can not depend only on the service.

True,  a serve will only take you so far. Look at Roanic and Dr. Ivo.

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
It is true, because they have great service, but others are not good shots of them, so they are not top players.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:40:20 AM by Djokovic Champion »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
É verdade, porque eles tem ótimos serviços, mas os outros golpes deles não são bons, por isso eles não são jogadores de topo.

If you want replies....it helps that we know what you're saying... :rofl_2:

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »
It is true, because they have great service, but others are not good shots of them, so they are not top players.

If you want replies....it helps that we know what you're saying... :rofl_2:
Sorry, I had written in Portuguese, but already repaired and is now in English.