Author Topic: ATP - 500 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell - 21-29 April 2012  (Read 8159 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 500 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell - 21-29 April 2012
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
Nadal Impresses In Defeat Of Tipsarevic

Rafael Nadal improved to 3-0 against Janko Tipsarevic.

Defending champion Rafael Nadal recorded his 25th match win of the season Friday, dismissing fifth seed Janko Tipsarevic 6-2, 6-2 in the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell quarter-finals.

The World No. 2 won 81 per cent of his second serve return points to break the eighth-ranked Tipsarevic five times, wrapping up his third straight victory over the Serbian in 83 minutes. He faltered just once on serve, in the fourth game of the second set, as he improved to a 33-1 event record.

The 25-year-old Nadal has not lost at the ATP World Tour 500 clay-court event since 2003, and has lifted the trophy on his past six appearances (2005-2009, 2011). He entered the tournament on the back of his eighth consecutive triumph at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters (d. Djokovic), where he collected his record-breaking 20th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown.

In the semi-finals, Nadal will play No. 9 seed Fernando Verdasco. The 2010 titlist led Kei Nishikori 4-2 before the eighth seed retired with an abdominal injury.

Verdasco is looking to win his first title since tasting victory in Barcelona two years ago. He finished runner-up to David Ferrer in Acapulco.

The Spaniard will aim to collect his first win in 13 meetings with Nadal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:36:01 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »
Friday, 27 April

Singles - Quarterfinals

(1) Rafael Nadal (ESP) d. (5) Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) 62 62 in 1h23'
(11) Milos Raonic (CAN) d. (2) Andy Murray (GBR) 64 76(3) in 1h44'
(3) David Ferrer (ESP) d. (7) Feliciano Lopez (ESP) 67(4) 76(3) 63 in 2h45'
(9) Fernando Verdasco (ESP) d. (8) Kei Nishikori (JPN) 42 ret. in 29' (abdominal injury)

Doubles - Quarterfinals

(8) Oliver Marach (AUT) / Alexander Peya (AUT) d. (1) Bob Bryan (USA) / Mike Bryan (USA) walkover (B.Bryan - stomach virus)
(2) Max Mirnyi (BLR) / Daniel Nestor (CAN) d. (6) Santiago Gonzalez (MEX) / Christopher Kas (GER) 75 64 in 1h14'
Marcel Granollers (ESP) / Marc Lopez (ESP) d. (3) Mahesh Bhupathi (IND) / Nenad Zimonjic (SRB) 75 36 10-5 in 1h36'
(4) Mariusz Fyrstenberg (POL) / Marcin Matkowski (POL) d. (7) Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi (PAK) / Jean-Julien Roger (NED) 63 67(8) 10-7 in 1h56'
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:36:37 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »
Doubles - Quarterfinals

At the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, two-time former finalists Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski advanced to the semi-finals with a hard-fought 6-3, 6-7(8), 10-7 victory over Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi and Jean-Julien Rojer. The Poles broke serve four times as they claimed victory in just under two hours.

Fyrstenberg and Matkowski go onto face second seeds Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor, who overcame sixth seeds Santiago Giraldo and Christopher Kas 7-5, 6-4 in 74 minutes. The Belarusian/Canadian duo are coming off a runner-up showing in Monte-Carlo and are chasing their third ATP World Tour title of the season after victories in Brisbane and Memphis.

Home pairing Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez topped No. 3 seeds Mahesh Bhupathi and Nenad Zimonjic 7-5, 3-6, 10-5. The Spaniards won four more points to claim victory in one hour and 36 minutes.

Granollers and Lopez are bidding to win their first team title, having reached the Acapulco final (l. to Marrero/Verdasco). They will take on eighth seeds Oliver Marach and Alexander Peya in the semi-finals. The Austrians advanced when top-ranked Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan withdrew prior to their quarter-final match due to a stomach virus (Bob Bryan).

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:59 PM »
Making of: Tournament partners

Organizing a big tennis event would not be possible without the help of the official partners

Check out the video

El ¨branding" del Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell 2012
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:11:05 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2012, 02:15:19 PM »
Raonic Dismisses Murray for Semi-Final Berth

Canada’s Milos Raonic needed only two sets to beat second seed Andy Murray in the quarter-finals of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, breaking the Scot in the seventh game of the first set and serving eight aces to claim the opener in 44 minutes. With one break on each side, the second set was decided in the tie-break: 6-4, 7-6 (3).

Raonic, who recorded his first Top 4 victory, was satisfied and a little surprised about the great performance: “After Monte Carlo I did not really expect too much because I did not train very well prior to the Barcelona tournament. I was down, but coach Galo told me to believe in myself,” he said.

The World No. 25 explained at the press conference that “it is still a learning process for me on clay. I have to play more games and gain more experience. But the victory today is definitely good for my confidence on clay, especially because hard court is my favorite surface.”

Raonic, who trains in Barcelona with Spain’s former tennis pro Galo Blanco, was happy about the great support of the fans on the Pista Central: “It is amazing that the crowd was on my side. A great feeling. It makes such a difference especially if you play a guy like Andy.”

Murray, who played three singles and two doubles matches in Barcelona this week, said that “although it was difficult to return his serve, you have to get the ball back in, which improved in the second set.”

“I was not very happy with my backhand today. Although I lost today, it was a good experience to play in Barcelona,” the Scot concluded.

VERY INTERESTING Q&A (especially the ends)

Entrevista a Milos Raonic

Entrevista a Andy Murray
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:17:45 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
Ferrer Saves Three Match Points to See Off Fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez

World No. 6 David Ferrer beat fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in the second Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell quarter-final to set up a clash against Canada’s Milos Raonic, who beat Murray on the Pista Central in the first match today. Ferrer saved three match points in the second set to finish 6-7 (4), 7-6 (7), 6-3.

Ferrer, who will play his sixth consecutive semi-final tomorrow, said in the post match press conference that saving three match points was a great achievement: “I served very well when Feli had match points. After I won the second set, I had the feeling that I would win because it was very tough for him.”

Ferrer, who is the only player on the tour that has claimed three titles this season, fell to Brazil’s Tomas Bellucci in Monte Carlo last week and hopes to qualify for his third final at Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell. On both occasions he lost to World No. 2 Rafa Nadal.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »
Rafael Nadal defeats Janko Tipsarevic

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal only needed 83 minutes to defeat No. 8 Janko Tipsarevic (6-2, 6-2) in the quarter-finals of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell.

“I think I played very well in the first set, especially the first four games,” Nadal said. The Spaniard saved 80 percent of break points, compared to 29 percent for the Serb. Nadal only committed one double fault while Tipsarevic served four.

“When you win 6-2, 6-2 against a good player like Tipsarevic, than you are playing very well,” Nadal said, who will next face fellow Spaniard Fernando Verdasco.

Nadal, who is originally from Manacor, has been unbeatable in Barcelona with 33 wins in 33 games. Since 2005, he has won every match at the Real Club Tenis Barcelona, only losing three sets.

---sadly this year, the official website is bad to say the least, in previous years full of great and interesting information, correction: Nadal has won 64 of 66 sets during the streak (’06 QF vs. Nieminen, ’08 F vs. Ferrrer)…in 2008 Ferrer won the second set of the final and in 2006 qf Nieminen was leading 64 41 but Rafa cameback. ----

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »
Kei Nishikori Withdraws due to Muscle Injury, Verdasco into Semis

A muscle injury forced No. 8 seed Kei Nishikori of Japan to retire trailing 4-2 in the first set against No. 9 seed Fernando Verdasco, who will face Rafa Nadal in an all-Spanish semi-final clash.

“It was tight this morning, but I did not think it would be like this during the match,” Nishikori said. “The pain suddenly came, and after every shot it was hurting and I could not move, so I decided to retire.”

“I am disappointed, especially playing at this time in the quarterfinals against a great player,” Nishikori added.

Verdasco, who won the 2010 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell title, will advance to compete against six-time champion Nadal.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »
Carlos Bernardes, the all-seeing eye in the world of tennis

(just saw him in the street this week, so shocked that sadly didn't ask him if he knows something of one of my all time fav. players)

Apart from the top players, chair umpire Carlos Bernardes is one of the most famous faces at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell. The Brazilian, who has umpired Grand Slam finals and Olympic Game, gives us an insight about his job in an exclusive interview.

You come to Barcelona after being in Monte Carlo. How have you prepared yourself to travel all the time?

Yes, we have a very tight schedule, and especially this year because of the disruption caused by the Olympic Games. This is my second straight week of travel, but before that I was home for three weeks after the tournament in Miami.

And how did your career start?

I started with a Fed Cup tournament in Brazil in the early nineties because they needed 120 referees. I was teaching tennis at a club and had never seen a professional game when I started. Then I did other tournaments in Brazil. Prior to that I studied mechanical engineering and physical education, but when I started traveling 25 weeks a year, my life changed.

When did you know that you would umpire the Grand Slam finals?

At first I wanted to always umpire bigger tournaments, see the top players. I always wanted to be better. But I never thought I would go so far.

How does it feel to umpire finals as important as Wimbledon or Roland Garros?

It is very nice. Especially because the first Wimbledon tournament I saw on television were Borg and McEnroe matches. They were was spectacular! And suddenly you are there doing the final that for twenty years you were enjoying on TV. It really is a very special thing.

And do you get nervous before a match?

No, I do not get nervous. But we must be as attentive as possible to avoid prejudice against the players. Normally you have anxiety to begin the game, but once it starts you are calmer.

How are the responsibilities of a chair umpire?

We do not only control the game, but we must also assess the linesmen and sometimes we have to evaluate other chair umpires.

And of course, you spend many hours with the players. What is your relationship with them?

The officials know the players well, but we do not have a close enough relationship to call them and go to dinner. But we are together everyday and sometimes travel together on the same flight. In general, we have a good relationship. I think it is important that they know you in order to be more confident on the court.

And all is well with Rafa after your disagreements a few months ago?

Yes, we are all right. We talked after the Australian Open, where we discussed several line calls. Both Rafa and I recognized our mistakes.

When you are up on the chair, what instruments do you use?

We have had the help of a mini computer (PDA) for the last year. It distributes the results to computers (live scores) from around the world. They try to upgrade the PDA every year to be a bit bigger and allow you to do many more things. We have not used paper for years. In addition, the PDA has the stats and you can print from there.

And what about the Hawk-Eye?

It was a good thing for tennis, and has helped a lot. At first, it was more exclusive and reserved for the players who played on center court or players with better rankings, but it has become increasingly widespread, and is much better and is used in almost all courts.

Do judges have favorite players?

In my case, as far as I can say, no. I love tennis. You can have a good game between two players who do not have much big names. Sometimes you can have a game between two players in the top-ten that becomes boring. I like tennis more than names.

--------------------
POLL: BEST AND FAVORITE UMPIRE???
some names: Carlos Bernardes, Carlos Ramos, Enric Molina, Pascal Maria, Jake Garner, Alison Lang, Lars Graff, Cedric Mourier, Kader Nouni, Steve Ullrich, Norm Chryst, Lars Graf, Damian Steiner, Mohamed Lahyani, Jamesdster

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
Raonic and Ferrer both played terribly in Monte Carlo  :mad1: . Good to see that they are back in form.
Rafa doesn't seem to have slowed down! :)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:52 PM »
Saturday, April 28, 2012, OOP

Pista Central, capacity 8400, Start 1:30 pm

[3] David Ferrer (ESP) v [11] Milos Raonic (CAN)
Not Before 4:00 PM
[1] Rafael Nadal (ESP) v [9] Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
[8] Oliver Marach (AUT) / Alexander Peya (AUT) v Marcel Granollers (ESP) / Marc Lopez (ESP)

Pista 1, capacity 2600, Start 2:30 pm
[4] Mariusz Fyrstenberg (POL) / Marcin Matkowski (POL) v [2] Max Mirnyi (BLR) / Daniel Nestor (CAN)

(never like the tradtion to play one doubles sf always on pista 1 and at the same time there's a singles sf on pista central...
why not schedule the doubles sf at noon on pista central) 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:12:59 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »
Raonic and Ferrer both played terribly in Monte Carlo  :mad1: . Good to see that they are back in form.
Rafa doesn't seem to have slowed down! :)

it is a very special place for those 3 players, feeling at home, milos adopted son, david biggest dream is to win this title and rafa is just rafa, he was so upset about a soccer match than the next day for the 1st time ever he changed of practise court, always on pista 18, always, that day on pista 17. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:19:06 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »
BARCELONA SATURDAY PREVIEW – FAMILIAR FACES NADAL, FERRER, VERDASCO,JOINED BY RAONIC IN SEMIS
• Three Spaniards have made the semi-finals at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell for the second year in a row, guaranteeing a Spanish finalist for the 16th straight year here. A Spaniard also has won this title nine years in a row (since 2003).

• The first semi-final pits No. 3 seed David Ferrer against No. 11 seed and top Canadian Milos Raonic
for the fourth time. The No. 2 Spaniard has beaten Raonic all three times they have played, with the most dominant win coming in their lone clay court meeting in Monte Carlo last year, 61 63). Before this week Raonic had five Top 10 wins but never defeated a Top 8 player, but he broke through in the quarter-finals, upsetting World No. 4 Andy Murray. Can he make it two breakthroughs in two days as he faces World No. 6 Ferrer? The Valencia resident is appearing in the semi-finals here for the sixth straight year, having been a finalist in 2008, ‘09 and ‘11 and a semi-finalist in 2007 and 2010. Ferrer is trying to reach his 29th career ATP World Tour final (14-14 mark), fourth this year (3-0) and 18th on clay (8-9 record) while Raonic is trying to reach his sixth ATP final (3-2 mark) and first on clay.

• In the second semi-final, top seed and World No. 2 Rafael Nadal brings a 12-0 career mark (5-0 on clay, 11-0 in sets) against No. 9 seed and 2010 champion Fernando Verdasco. Nadal has a 19-match winning streak on clay since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Rome final last May. As if his domination of Monte Carlo weren’t enough with his eighth straight title last week, Nadal also has dominated Barcelona, winning the title the last six times he has played in Barcelona (did not play two years ago), and currently riding a 32-match winning streak here (winning the last 28 sets in Barca). Nadal is trying to reach his 69th career final (47-21 mark), third this season (1-1) and 38th on clay (33-4 record) while Verdasco is aiming to reach his 18th final (5-12), second this year (0-1) and 11th on clay (3-7).
• April Streak on Clay – Nadal has won 75 straight matches on clay in the month of April. During his clay court streak in April he has won 13 titles – eight in Monte-Carlo and five in Barcelona. His last loss on clay in April came on Apr. 8, 2005 to Igor Andreev in the quarter-finals of Valencia.

CLAY COURT DOMINATOR – Nadal has the best career match record on clay in the Open Era with a 239-18 mark (.930) and he’s 33-4 in clay finals. Here's a year-by-year look at Nadal's clay court supremacy since 2005, compiling a 212-8 match record (.963) and 32-4 mark in clay court finals on the ATP World Tour:

W-L  Clay Finals
2012 – 8-0  1-0
2011 – 28-2  3-2 (l. to Djokovic twice)
2010 - 22-0  4-0
2009 - 23-2     3-1 (l. to Federer)
2008 - 24-1     4-0
2007 - 31-1     5-1 (l. to Federer)
2006 - 26-0     4-0
2005 - 50-2     8-0

Note: Nadal has won 37 semi-finals in a row on clay (only loss Carlos Moya: ’03 Umag)

SATURDAY SEMI-FINALS FEDEX ATP HEAD 2 HEADS – In Order of Play

Pista Central –

(3) David Ferrer (ESP) vs (11) Milos Raonic (CAN) Ferrer Leads 3-0
11 Australian Open (Australia) Hard R16 David Ferrer 4-6 6-2 6-3 6-4
11 ATP Masters 1000 Monte Carlo Clay R16 David Ferrer 6-1 6-3
11 ATP Masters 1000 Shanghai (China) Hard    R32 David Ferrer 7-5 7-6(7)

Ferrer FastFacts:
2012 Highlights:
W: Auckland (d Rochus); Buenos Aires (d Almagro); Acapulco (d Verdasco); QF: Australian Open (l Djokovic); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami (l Djokovic)
YTD W-L: 27-4 (15-1 on clay)
YTD Titles: 3/Career Titles: 14
Date of Birth: April 2, 1982
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 6

• Ferrer, 30, the No. 2 Spaniard, is making his sixth straight semi-final showing here in his 10th appearance (24-9 mark) and trying to reach his fourth final (2008,’09, ’11, l. to Nadal each time)
• Opened with a 60 63 win over Serbian Filip Krajinovic and followed with a 60 62 victory over countryman Albert Montanes and saved three match points in 67(4) 76(7) 63 over Feliciano Lopez
• Has held serve 31 of 32 games this week (97%), saving six of seven break pts., and winning 79% of first serve pts. and 64% of second serve pts…Has broken opponents 11 of 30 games (37%)
• The Valencia resident (behind Nadal) is co-leader (w/Federer) on the ATP World Tour with three titles…His three titles ties a career-high (also in 2007)
• He is playing in his eighth tournament of the year (27-4 record, 15-1 on clay, 12-3 on hard) and last week lost in the opening round (after bye) to Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci in Monte Carlo…Won three of first four tournaments in Auckland (d. Rochus), Buenos Aires (d. Almagro) and Acapulco (d. Verdasco)
• In his other tournaments he didn’t win, reached quarter-finals at the Australian Open and Miami (l. to Djokovic in both) and third round at Indian Wells (l. to Istomin)

Raonic FastFacts:
2012 Highlights:
W: Chennai (d Tipsarevic); San Jose (d Istomin); F: Memphis (l Melzer)
YTD W-L: 21-4 (4-1 on clay)
YTD Titles: 2/Career Titles: 3
Date of Birth: December 27, 1990
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 25

• Raonic, 21, is appearing in his fourth ATP World Tour semi-final of the season with a 21-4 match record (4-1 on clay) and he’s tryng to reach his first career final on clay (SF in Estoril last yr.)
• The top Canadian is making his first appearance in the semi-finals here (6-1 mark) after defeating Alejandro Falla 64 76(3), Igor Andreev 64 61, No. 6 seed/No. 13 ranked Nicolas Almagro 63 63 (his first career Top 20 win on clay and No. 2 seed/No. 4 ranked Andy Murray 64 76 (highest-ranked win)…Leads tournament in aces (33), first serve pts. won (82%) and No. 2 in second serve pts. won (65%) and No. 4 in service games won (38 of 40, 95%)…Last year reached third round (l. to Dodig)
• Reached a career-high No. 24 ranking on Feb. 27 and comes in No. 25…Will move to No. 23 thus far and No. 21 if reaches final
• His best results were a pair of ATP World Tour titles in Chennai (d. Tipsarevic) in first week of campaign and San Jose (d. Istomin) on Feb. 19…Also runner-up for second straight year in Memphis (l. to Melzer)… His only pre-final losses came at Australian Open (l. to Hewitt in 3rd Rd.), in Indian Wells (l. to No. 3 Federer in 3R), Miami (W/O vs. Murray in 3R) and Monte Carlo (Montanes in 1R)
• Last month in Miami sprained his ankle in a warm-up before doubles match, then retired in second round doubles match at 1-2 (w/Anderson) before withdrawing from 3rd Rd. (vs. No. 4 Murray)
• In San Jose, defended his title and held serve 41 of 42 games in four matches…In Memphis, was only broken once en route to the final before losing serve twice to Melzer in title match
• This year leads ATP World Tour in service games won (93%) and 1st serve pts. won (82%) and No. 2 in break points saved (73%), in aces (333, behind Isner’s 353 but will become leader next week) and No. 4 in 2nd serve pts. won (58%)
• In opening week of season, held serve all 48 games, defeating No. 10 Almagro in the semi-finals and No. 9 Tipsarevic in the final (in three TBs)
• In first round Davis Cup tie in Vancouver vs. France, defeated Julien Benneteau and lost in doubles rubber…Withdrew from reverse singles on Sunday due to left knee pain
• Has a 3-1 mark vs. Top 10 opponents this year after defeating No. 4 Murray on Friday (6-9 in his career)…Looking to defeat Top 10 opponents in back-to-back matches for first time

(1)Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs (9) Fernando Verdasco (ESP) Nadal Leads 12-0
05 Doha (Qatar) Hard R16 Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-4
05 ATP Masters 1000 Miami (U.S.A.) Hard R32 Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-2
05 Stuttgart (Germany) Clay R16 Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-2
06 London / Queen's Club (England) Grass R16 Rafael Nadal 2-6 7-6(3) 7-6(3)
07 ATP Masters 1000 Indian Wells Hard R32 Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-4
08 Roland Garros (France) Clay R16 Rafael Nadal 6-1 6-0 6-2
09 Australian Open (Australia) Hard SF Rafael Nadal    6-7(4) 6-4 7-6(2) 6-7(1) 6-4
09 ATP Masters 1000 Rome (Italy) Clay QF Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-3
09 ATP Masters 1000 Madrid (Spain) Clay QF Rafael Nadal 6-4 7-5
10 ATP Masters 1000 Monte Carlo Clay F Rafael Nadal 6-0 6-1
10 US Open (U.S.A.) Hard QF Rafael Nadal 7-5 6-3 6-4
11 ATP Masters 1000 Cincinnati) Hard R16 Rafael Nadal 7-6(5) 6-7(4) 7-6(9)
Other meeting:
03 Hamburg CH (Germany) Carpet QF Rafael Nadal 6-2 7-5

Rafael Nadal Fernando Verdasco
 Sets Won: 27 4
 Tiebreak Sets Won: 5 3

Match Wins By Surface:
 Clay: 5 0
 Hard: 6 0
 Grass: 1 0

Nadal FastFacts:
2012 Highlights:
W: ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (d Djokovic); F: Australian Open (l Djokovic); SF: Doha (l Monfils); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells (l Federer); ATP Masters 1000 Miami (W/O vs Murray)
YTD W-L: 25-3 (8-0 on clay)
YTD Titles: 1/Career Titles: 47
Date of Birth: June 3, 1986
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 2

• Nadal, 24, the six-time champion (2005-09, ‘11), has a 33-1 career match record in Barcelona, winning 32 matches in a row since his only loss to countryman Alex Corretja in the second round in 2003…
Trying to reach his seventh final…Opened with a 61 62 win over countryman Guillermo Garcia-Lopez and followed with a 62 63 victory over qualifier Robert Farah and 62 62 over No. 5 seed/No. 9 ranked Janko Tipsarevic…Has won 66 of 68 sets during streak (’06 QF vs. Nieminen, ’08 F vs. Ferrrer)…Has held serve 20 of 23 games (87%) and won 16 of 25 return games (64%), converting 16 of 32 break pts
• Last year defeated countryman Ferrer 62 64 in the third final (lost 21 games in tourn.)
• The 25-year-old Mallorcan native is 25-3 on the season and last week he captured a record eighth straight title at ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo (d. Djokovic)…Held serve 42 of 45 games and didn’t lose a set en route to his first title since Roland Garros last June (went 12 events since Paris)
• Opened the season by reaching semi-finals in Doha (l. to Monfils) and followed with runner-up at the Australian Open, falling to Djokovic 57 64 62 67 75 in a record 5:53 marathon…Has reached the last four Grand Slam finals (1-3 mark) going back to Roland Garros (10-5 lifetime in finals)
• Prior to last week, his last match was Mar. 28 in Miami where he defeated No. 6 Tsonga in the quarter-finals before withdrawing from SF (vs. Murray) due to left knee injury…It was only second walkover he gave in 777 matches (’04 Estoril)
• Prior to Miami, he reached the singles semi-finals (l. to Federer) and captured his eighth career doubles title (w/M. Lopez) in Indian Wells…Did not drop a set in five matches during doubles play

Final Results in Barcelona:
2011 - d. No. 6 David Ferrer 62 64 2007 - d. No. 28 Guillermo Canas   63 64
2009 - d. No. 13 David Ferrer 62 75 2006 - d. No. 15 Tommy Robredo   64 64 60
2008 - d. No. 5 David Ferrer 61 46 61 2005 - d. No. 58 Juan Carlos Ferrero 61 76 63

Verdasco FastFacts:
2012 Highlights:
F: Acapulco (l Ferrer); SF: Auckland (l Ferrer); QF: Sao Paulo (l Ramos)
YTD W-L: 15-8 (11-4 on clay)
YTD Titles: 0/Career Titles: 5
Date of Birth: November 15, 1983
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 20

• Verdasco, 28, who captured the title here two years ago (d. Soderling), is appearing in the semi-finals for the second time after posting wins over Steve Darcis 63 61, No. 13 seed Kevin Anderson 64 64 and No. 8 seed Kei Nishikori 4-2 ret. (abdominal)…Has held serve all 21 games (saving five break pts.) … Has a 14-6 mark here (QF in ’09)
• Has a 15-8 match record on the season (10-4 on clay) and appearing in his third ATP World Tour semi-final or better…Reached his 17th career ATP World Tour final (5-12) in Acapulco (l. to Ferrer) on March 3…Also a semi-finalist in Auckland (l. to Ferrer) and quarter-finalist in Sao Paulo (l. to Ramos)
• Last week in Monte Carlo, posted wins over Olivier Rochus and Ivan Dodig, both in three sets from a set down before losing to top Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 75(7) 62 in the third round
• Has an 0-4 mark vs. Top 10 opponents this season and trying to break an eight-match losing streak since defeating No. 10 Almagro in the semi-finals of Gstaad last July…Overall has a 15-59 career mark
…Has a pair of wins over World No. 2 Djokovic in 2010 Monte Carlo (SF) and Rome (QF)

POTENTIAL FINAL HEAD-TO-HEADS

Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs David Ferrer (ESP)  Nadal Leads 13-4
04 Stuttgart (Germany) Clay QF David Ferrer 6-3 6-7(3) 7-5
05 ATP Masters 1000 Miami (U.S.A.) Hard SF Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-3
05 ATP Masters 1000 Rome (Italy) Clay SF Rafael Nadal 4-6 6-4 7-5
05 Roland Garros (France) Clay QF Rafael Nadal 7-5 6-2 6-0
07 Barcelona (Spain) Clay SF Rafael Nadal 7-5 6-1
07 US Open (U.S.A.) Hard R16 David Ferrer 6-7(3)6-4 7-6(4) 6-2
07 Tennis Masters Cup (China) Hard RR David Ferrer 4-6 6-4 6-3
08 ATP Masters 1000 Monte Carlo Clay QF Rafael Nadal 6-1 7-5
08 Barcelona (Spain) Clay F Rafael Nadal 6-1 4-6 6-1
09 Barcelona (Spain) Clay F Rafael Nadal 6-2 7-5
09 ATP Masters 1000 Montreal (Canada)Hard R32 Rafael Nadal 4-3 ret
10 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami Hard R16 Rafael Nadal 7-6(5)6-4
10 ATP Masters 1000 Monte Carlo Clay SF Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-3
10 ATP Masters 1000 Rome (Italy) Clay F Rafael Nadal 7-5 6-2
11 Australian Open (Australia) Hard QF David Ferrer 6-4 6-2 6-3
11 ATP Masters 1000 Monte Carlo Clay F Rafael Nadal 6-4 7-5
11 Barcelona (Spain) Clay F Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-4

Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs Milos Raonic (CAN)  Nadal Leads 2-0
10 Tokyo (Japan) Hard R16 Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-4
11 Tokyo (Japan) Hard R16 Rafael Nadal 7-5 6-3

Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs David Ferrer (ESP) Tied 7-7
04 Chennai (India) Hard R32 David Ferrer 1-6 7-5 6-0
04 Valencia (Spain) Clay QF Fernando Verdasco 6-2 6-3
05 Barcelona (Spain) Clay R64 David Ferrer 6-3 6-4
07 Roland Garros (France) Clay R32 Fernando Verdasco 4-6 7-6(2) 6-3 6-3
07 Stuttgart (Germany) Clay R16 Fernando Verdasco 7-5 6-3
08 Valencia (Spain) Clay QF David Ferrer 6-3 1-6 7-5
08 ATP Masters Series Hamburg Clay R16 Fernando Verdasco 7-6(4) 6-2
09 ATP Masters 1000 Monte Carlo Clay R16 Fernando Verdasco 6-2 6-1
10 Barcelona (Spain) Clay SF Fernando Verdasco 6-7(3) 7-5 6-1
10 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome Clay SF David Ferrer 7-5 6-3
10 US Open (U.S.A.) Hard R16 Fernando Verdasco 5-7 6-7(8) 6-3 6-3 7-6(4)
11 Valencia (Spain) Hard R32 David Ferrer 6-3 6-2
12 Auckland (New Zealand) Hard SF David Ferrer 6-3 6-4
12 Acapulco (Mexico) Clay F David Ferrer 6-1 6-2

Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Milos Raonic (CAN) Tied 2-2
11 San Jose (U.S.A.) Hard F Milos Raonic 7-6(6) 7-6(5)
11 Memphis (U.S.A.) Hard R32 Milos Raonic 6-4 3-6 7-6(5)
11 Estoril (Portugal) Clay SF Fernando Verdasco 6-4 ret
11 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome Clay R64 Fernando Verdasco 6-4 6-4

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2012, 04:57:50 AM »
CLAY COURT DOMINATOR – Nadal has the best career match record on clay in the Open Era with a 239-18 mark (.930) and he’s 33-4 in clay finals. Here's a year-by-year look at Nadal's clay court supremacy since 2005, compiling a 212-8 match record (.963) and 32-4 mark in clay court finals on the ATP World Tour:

W-L  Clay Finals
2012 – 8-0  1-0
2011 – 28-2  3-2 (l. to Djokovic twice)
2010 - 22-0  4-0
2009 - 23-2     3-1 (l. to Federer)
2008 - 24-1     4-0
2007 - 31-1     5-1 (l. to Federer)
2006 - 26-0     4-0
2005 - 50-2     8-0 - forgot about that 52 match year!! lol
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »
Special Olympians Display Talents

Eight athletes from the Special Olympics of Catalonia had the opportunity to play an exhibition match at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona 1899 on Saturday as part of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, hitting balls with Spain’s former tennis pro and two-time Roland Garros champion Sergi Bruguera.

The athletes had a further thrill when Milos Raonic of Canada arrived and began training on the adjacent court prior to his match against David Ferrer.

The players, who came from the training school ACELL, included: Cristina Morales, Marta Gomez, Albert Ordaz, Charles Vaqué, Sit Roser, Sergio Carreras, Maria Luisa Linares, and Rosana Moreno. The coaches were: Sergi Bruguera and Paul Chestnut.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2012, 06:13:40 AM »
Santiago Gonzalez: It all started in Barcelona

Although he did not defend the 2011 doubles title at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, Mexico’s Santiago Gonzalez leaves the Catalan capital with a good feeling and hopes to return next year with the goal to lift the trophy for a second time.

Gonzalez and his German doubles partner Christopher Kas lost to favorites Daniel Nestor and Max Myrnyi in straight sets at the Real Club Tenis Barcelona yesterday.

The Mexican doubles secialist, who reached the Australian Open quarter-finals with Kas this year, will continue the 2012 season on the side of the German, facing the Madrid Masters and Roland Garros next.

Gonzalez, who lived in Barcelona for some time seven years ago, remembers Barcelona well and feels at home in the city, enjoying the lifestyle and food. He assured that “it all started in Barcelona and I always look forward to coming back.”

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »
Artur Mas to Attend Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell Final

Artur Mas, President of the Generalitat de Catalunya, will attend the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell final on Sunday, 29 April, at 4 pm. Mas will be accompanied by Barcelona’s Mayor Xavier Trias and the president of the International Tennis Federation, Italy’s Francesco Ricci Bitti. Real Club Tenis Barcelona president Albert Agustí will also be present, such as tournament director Albert Costa and Real Spanish Tennis Federation president José Luis Escañuela.

The final will be broadcasted on Televisión Española and Televisió de Catalunya on the specialty channel Esports 3. Prior to the singles final, the doubles final will be held on the Pista Central of the Real Club Tenis Barcelona.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2012, 06:42:27 AM »
Aces for Solidarity Raise 24,000 euros for the Good Cause

The Aces for Solidarity initiative organized by tournament title sponsor Banc de Sabadell has raised €24,000 to be divided among the foundations SOS, Casateva and Unicef. Banc de Sabadell president Josep Oliu has delivered three €8,000 checks to the representatives of these organizations. Each ace brought €50 for the good cause.

“The three entities that benefited this year will use the money to help children with problems. This is an important work because children are the people of tomorrow”, said Oliu.

This is the fifth year that welcomes this initiative which recognizes the work of both internationally foundations and smaller NGOs. Until today, 356 aces have been hit during the tournament, a number that will increase at the semifinals and finals of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
Saturday, 28 April

Singles - Semifinals

(3) David Ferrer (ESP) d. (11) Milos Raonic (CAN) 76(2) 76(5) in 2h5'
high quality semi! Ferrer just perfect!!! 4th final in Barcelona!!!!

Doubles - Semifinals
(4) Mariusz Fyrstenberg (POL) / Marcin Matkowski (POL) d. (2) Max Mirnyi (BLR) / Daniel Nestor (CAN) 63 06 10-6 in 1h6'

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »
Ferrer Withstands Raonic Barrage To Reach Final, Chasing Fourth Title of 2012

David Ferrer is through to the Barcelona final for the fourth time.

World No. 6 David Ferrer withstood a barrage from big-hitting Canadian Milos Raonic on Saturday to reach the final of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell for the fourth time with a 7-6(2), 7-6(5) victory.

The Spaniard has a 25-9 event record at this ATP World Tour 500 clay-court tennis tournament after finishing runner-up to Rafael Nadal in 2008, 2009 and 2011. The third seed has dropped just one set in his four matches this week, saving three match points against Feliciano Lopez in the quarter-finals.

Ferrer was under pressure in the early stages against Raonic, who had recorded his first Top 4 win by beating Andy Murray on Friday. The Canadian engineered four break points, but was unable to convert and then was forced to save six break points himself before forcing a tie-break. Ferrer dominated the tie-break, racing to a 6-0 lead before closing out the opener on his seventh set point.

Neither player was able to break through in the second set either, with Raonic saving the only break point in the 11th game. Ferrer claimed victory in another tie-break after two hours and five minutes as he whipped a backhand passing shot winner up the line. Raonic had fired 15 aces, but Ferrer was equally impressive on serve, winning 75 per cent of points behind his first serve.

"I feel good; it was a very difficult match but I played very solid and consistent," said Ferrer. "It's my fourth final here which is very difficult to do. Raonic has one of best serves on tour, he's improving a lot and he's still very young. I was very focussed during the tie-breaks and played better than him in those moments - that was the key to the match."

The 30-year-old Ferrer is chasing an ATP-best fourth title this season, following victories in Auckland (d. Rochus), and on clay in Buenos Aires (d. Almagro) and Acapulco (d. Verdasco). He has a 28-4 season record.

"I felt I had opportunities, especially in the first set. I had no chances in the second set," assessed Raonic. "I was defending a lot of break points. I felt I did well on his serve too. In general, it's getting better day by day. It's a little bit unfortunate I had those chances, but I also created my opportunities."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:59:15 AM by conchita »