Author Topic: ATP - 500 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell - 21-29 April 2012  (Read 10406 times)

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
Re: ATP - 500 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell - 21-29 April 2012
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
Murray will win Nadal in the Final.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »
Andy Murray Ready for Barcelona Challenge

World No. 4 Andy Murray has attended his first official press conference today at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell. After he fell to Tomas Berdych in the Monte Carlo quarter-finals, the Scot has set eyes to achieve a better result in the Catalan capital: “On clay I usually need to win some matches to get into the rhythm. I love this tournament and look forward to my first match against Stakhovsky,” said Murray.

Last year Murray was forced to drop out of the tournament due to a right elbow injury. “It feels great to be back in Barcelona, I feel at home here. I hope to achieve a good result and win some matches,” told the 24-year-old the media at the Real Club Tenis Barcelona.

For the Scot, it is important to catch more experience against the top players on clay, such as against Rafael Nadal in Monte Carlo and Roland Garros last year. The two top seeds can only face each other in the final in Barcelona.

Murray is confident that he can improve his performance under new coach and former Trofeo Conde de Godó champion Ivan Lendl: “It has only been three months with Lendl but he has a lot of experience and knows how to face the challenges on all different surfaces. I hope to improve my performance on clay until Roland Garros.”

His big goal this year are the two important events in Great Britain, with Wimbledon and the 2012 London Olympic Games being held at the famous All England Lawn Tennis Club. “It is very important to prepare well for these tournaments and to recover fast as Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the Olympic Games are very close to each other. There is a lot of pressure on me, I hope to achieve a great result,” Murray concluded.

Entrevista a Andy Murray
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:17:34 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
Video: Experience the tournaments' Commercial Area

Check out the new video to experience another side of the tournament away from the tennis action: The Commercial Area.

El "torneo" de la calle comercial
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
Rafael Nadal: My goal is to play well in Barcelona, not to become No. 1

Rafael Nadel made his first appearance at the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona, speaking to a large contingent of media at a press conference Monday afternoon to announce his arrival in Spain. Nadal is eager to compete in the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell after defeating Novak Djokovic on Sunday to win the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters.

“Yesterday was as an important day for me,” Nadal said. “Today is another day and I am thinking about this tournament, which is one of the most beautiful events on the tour. It is great to play in front of your home crowd.”

Rueda de prensa de Rafa Nadal (lunes 23)

Asked about his objective his season, the current World No. 2 said: “My goal is to play well in Barcelona, not to become No. 1. I am closer to the No. 3 ranking than to the No. 1. What counts now is the tournament in Barcelona.”

Nadal, who is ranked second in the world, dominated against Djokovic (6-3, 6-1). The win clinched his eighth-consecutive Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters title and ended his seven-match losing streak against Djokovic. No other player has won eight consecutive titles in tennis history.

“It was crucial to finally win a tournament again. But obviously beating Djokovic was mentally very important.”

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/telediario/nadal-ya-tiene-mente-godo/1384175/

http://www.tv3.cat/videos/4063670/Nadal-al-Godo

Spain’s left-hander and top seed in Barcelonan will debut on Wednesday after a bye against the winner of the first round match between fellow Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez and Belgium’s Oliver Rochus. Nadal defeated David Ferrer to win the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell in 2011, and he has won the tournament in six of the last seven years (he did not play in 2010 due to an injury).

Rafa Nadal, expectación máxima

http://www.tv3.cat/videos/4063670/Nadal-al-Godo
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:08:40 PM by conchita »

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
Video: Experience the tournaments' Commercial Area

Check out the new video to experience another side of the tournament away from the tennis action: The Commercial Area.

El "torneo" de la calle comercial

Good work Conchita, thank you.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »
Monday, 23 April,

Singles - First Round

[11] Milos Raonic (CAN) d. Alejandro Falla (COL) 64 76(3) in 1h41'
Santiago Giraldo (COL) d. [18] Denis Istomin (UZB) 76(3) 64 in 1h38'
Benoit Paire (FRA) d. Lukas Rosol (CZE) 63 75 in 57'
Steve Darcis (BEL) d. [Q] Andrey Golubev (KAZ) 46 76(2) 76(5) in 2h36'
Robin Haase (NED) d. [Q] Sergei Bubka (UKR) 61 32 ret. in 48'
Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) d. [LL] Evgeny Donskoy (RUS) 62 63 in 1h1'
Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) d. [LL] Stephane Robert (FRA) 62 63 in 1h6'
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) d. [WC] Javier Marti (ESP) 64 61 in 1h23'
Albert Montañes (ESP) d. [WC] Gerard Granollers-Pujol (ESP) 75 62 in 1h31'
[Q] Joao Sousa (POR) d. Igor Kunitsyn (RUS) 76(5) 63 in 1h27'
[Q] Federico Delbonis (ARG) d. [Q] Aljaz Bedene (SLO) 63 75 in 1h52'
[LL] Eduardo Schwank (ARG) d. [WC] Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo (ESP) 26 64 60 in 2h11'
[WC] Filip Krajinovic (SRB) d. [WC] Iñigo Cervantes (ESP) 62 64 in 1h17'

Doubles - First Round
David Marrero (ESP) / Fernando Verdasco (ESP) d. Pablo Andujar (ESP) / Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) 76(1) 61 in 1h19'
Nicolas Almagro (ESP) / Albert Ramos (ESP) d. Juan Sebastian Cabal (COL) / Robert Farah (COL) 26 64 10-6 in 1h15'

recap: the attendance was quite bad, tomorrow the show really starts!! the weather was great!!
Raonic has a long way to go on clay, but a very long way, he served at 236km/h but he looked almost lost on clay, with no confidence, shaking his head, bad body language, must improve his movement, he was lucky he faced another hardcourter in Falla. Falla's best memory in tennis is his match on Wimby center court in 2002 vs Federer, he lost badly, not the one he had in 2009 when he really pushed the Great Roger. Giraldo had a great win against Istomin, who played quite bad. The Darcis vs Goluvev was an epic battle. Another played retired in a match against Haase, this time it was Bubka Jr. Stakhovksy scored a great win against good player Donskoy, tomorrow the match against Murray could be interesting. Nieminen, 10th apperance here, he almost defeated Nadal in 2006, he was up 64 41 when Rafa cameback, played Javier Marti. Bruguera's comment on Marti, called chucky because of temper, young and very promising prospect, right handed, one handed bh, good serve, good movement but must improve his tactics, gameplan, Bruguera is a great commentator. French players Paire and Roger-Vasselin with easy wins. Sousa and not Souza continued in fashion, defeating Kunitsyn in straights, next is Ferrer. Promising argentian player Delbonis won a battle against another promising young player Bedene. Montañes, who defeated Federer in Estoril some years ago, had a difficult 1st set against the brother of Marcel Granollers, Gerard. Something very wrong with the Czechs stars, yesterday Berdych pulling out for the second consecutive year in the club because gastroentiritis and today Stepanek also out with a stomach virus. Schwank replaced Stepanek and won his match vs the oldest player in the draw, veteran Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo, 34, playing perhaps for the last time, was close to victory in the second set, but he had nothing left in the tank for the 3rd. Krajinovic, Bolletieri academy, wild card player under IMG, defeated WC RCTB player Cervantes. Krajinovic, nothing special, Cervantes, as Olaso, is a basque under the umbrella of Berasategui but seems it is difficult to have another great basque player. Marrero/Verdasco defeated Andujar/Garcia-Lopez and Almagro/Ramos, love this team! defeated colombians Cabal/Farah.  Nadal and Murray both with press conferences, Murray talking about goals: Wimby, Olympics, Nadal saying Montecarlo is more important than Barcelona, but this tounameny is special, at his club, he is a pister before he starts his hitting sessions.

Finally, TVCatalunya, brodcasting matches on Central and Pista 1, not as Teledeporte (RTVE) only Central, displayed a vintage video about the first decade of the event. AWESOME! too bad I can not find it on the the channel website, the video was so great, first decade, first winners, Laver, Gimeno, Santana, the only final played outside the RCTB because of rain at the Palau Municipal d'Esports, attendance 4000, Wonderful video!
Día a día del Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell - Capítulo 3
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:33:41 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
Milos Raonic Reaches Second Round, Focus now on Andy Murray

Canada’s Milos Raonic reached the second round of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, defeating Colombia’s Alejandro Falla in a hard fought match, 6-4, 7-6 (3). 11th seed Raonic hit seven aces and converted three of his four break point opportunities for victory in one hour and 42 minutes.

"It was a good step forward," he said. "I've been able to practise very well the last few weeks, especially last week in Monte-Carlo, but I didn't play well in my match which was very disappointing.

"Today was not the greatest of days, but I'm happy to put the win together and get it right. I feel like there's a lot I can do better so I'm happy to give myself another chance in the next round. Falla is a very good player. My serve was key in getting the win."

Raonic, who has lifted silverware at the Aircel Chennai Open (d. Tipsarevic) and the SAP Open in San Jose (d. Istomin), improved to an 18-4 season record.

"My objective is to win the next round," said Raonic, who next faces the winner between Igor Andreev and Diego Junqueira. "Improving is the most important but I want to give myself more opportunities to win."

Falla's compatriot Santiago Giraldo knocked out No. 18 seed Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan 7-6(3), 6-4 in one hour and 40 minutes.

Dutchman Robin Haase, a quarter-finalist last week in Monte-Carlo, held a 6-1, 3-2 lead when Sergei Bubka retired from the first-round match with an ankle injury.

Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen,who is making his 10th appearance at this ATP World Tour 500 tournament, took on youngster Javier Martí in today’s first match on the Pista Central, seeing off the Spaniard in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1. Nieminen will face lucky loser Eduardo Schwank in the second round. The Argentinean, who replaced Radek Stepanek (virus) beat his doubles partner Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo in three sets (6-0 in the third).

Belgian Steve Darcis battled past Andrey Golubev 4-6, 7-6(2), 7-6(5) in two hours and 36 minutes, despite converting just one of his nine break point chances, and next confronts 2010 champion Fernando Verdasco of Spain.

Two qualifiers also advanced to the second round: Portugal’s Joao Sousa and Argentina’s Federico Delbonis. The third youngster to win his opener is Serbia’s wild card holder Filip Krajinovic.

Meanwhile, Ukraine's Sergiy Stakhovsky dismissed lucky loser Evgeny Donskoy 6-2, 6-3 to set up tomorrow a second-round meeting with World No. 4 Andy Murray.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:43:28 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
Singles Draw Updated
(retirement: (10) Stepanek - stomach virus, in- Lucky Loser Schwank)

(1) Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) or Olivier Rochus (BEL)
(LL) Arnau Brugues-Davi (ESP) or (Q) Robert Farah (COL) vs (Q) David Goffin (BEL) or (16) Pablo Andujar (ESP)
-----
(12) Marcel Granollers (ESP) or Frederico Gil (POR) vs (Q) Joao Sousa (POR)
Victor Hanescu (ROU) or Rui Machado (POR) vs (5) Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)
-------------
(9) Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Steve Darcis (BEL)
(Q) Federico Delbonis (ARG) vs Malek Jaziri (TUN) or (13) Kevin Anderson (RSA)
------
(17) Albert Ramos (ESP) or Andreas Beck (GER) vs Benoit Paire (FRA)
Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP) or Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ) vs (8) Kei Nishikori (JPN)
--------------------------------------------
(7) Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs Paolo Lorenzi (ITA) or Flavio Cipolla (ITA)
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs (LL) Eduardo Schwank (ARG)
-------
(15) Bernard Tomic (AUS) or Ernests Gulbis (LAT) vs Albert Montañes (ESP)
(WC) Filip Krajinovic (SRB) vs (3) David Ferrer (ESP)
------------
(6) Nicolas Almagro (ESP) vs Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA)
Igor Andreev (RUS) or Diego Junqueira (ARG) vs (11) Milos Raonic (CAN)
-----
Santiago Giraldo (COL) vs Robin Haase (NED)
Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) vs (2) Andy Murray (GBR)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:28:04 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
Doubles Draw Updated

(1) Bob Bryan (USA) / Mike Bryan (USA) vs David Marrero (ESP) / Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
----
Mikhail Elgin (RUS) / Denis Istomin (UZB) vs (WC) Iñigo Cervantes (ESP) / Gerard Granollers-Pujol (ESP)
(8) Oliver Marach (AUT) / Alexander Peya (AUT)
--------
(3) Mahesh Bhupathi (IND) / Nenad Zimonjic (SRB)
Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo (ESP) / Eduardo Schwank (ARG) vs Jonathan Erlich (ISR) / Andy Ram (ISR)
---
Alejandro Falla (COL) / Santiago Giraldo (COL) vs Marcel Granollers (ESP) / Marc Lopez (ESP)
(5) Frantisek Cermak (CZE) / Filip Polasek (SVK)
---------------
(7) Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi (PAK) / Jean-Julien Roger (NED)
Andy Murray (GBR) / Jamie Murray (GBR) vs Kevin Anderson (RSA) / Frank Moser (GER)
---
Eric Butorac (USA) / Bruno Soares (BRA) vs Scott Lipsky (USA) / Rajeev Ram (USA)
(4) Mariusz Fyrstenberg (POL) / Marcin Matkowski (POL)
---------
(6) Santiago Gonzalez (MEX) / Christopher Kas (GER) vs Nicolas Almagro (ESP) / Albert Ramos (ESP)
---
Robin Haase (NED) / Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs (WC) Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP) / Albert Montañes (ESP)
(2) Max Mirnyi (BLR) / Daniel Nestor (CAN)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »
TUESDAY, APRIL 24, 2012 - ORDER OF PLAY

PISTA CENTRAL, capacity 8400, start 11:00 am

[15] Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
Not Before 1:30 PM
[9] Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Steve Darcis (BEL)
Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) vs [2] Andy Murray (GBR)
[6] Nicolas Almagro (ESP) vs Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA)
[Q] David Goffin (BEL) vs [16] Pablo Andujar (ESP)

PISTA 1, capacity 2600, start 11:00 am
Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP) vs Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)
[12] Marcel Granollers (ESP) vs Frederico Gil (POR)
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) vs Olivier Rochus (BEL)
[17] Albert Ramos (ESP) vs Andreas Beck (GER)
[LL] Arnau Brugues-Davi (ESP) vs [Q] Robert Farah (COL)

PISTA 2, capacity 600, start 11:00 am
Malek Jaziri (TUN) vs [13] Kevin Anderson (RSA)
Igor Andreev (RUS) vs Diego Junqueira (ARG)
Victor Hanescu (ROU) vs Rui Machado (POR)
Not Before 4:30 PM
Paolo Lorenzi (ITA) vs Flavio Cipolla (ITA)
Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo (ESP) / Eduardo Schwank (ARG) vs Jonathan Erlich (ISR) / Andy Ram (ISR)

PISTA 3, capacity 100, start 2:00 pm
Eric Butorac (USA) / Bruno Soares (BRA) vs Scott Lipsky (USA) / Rajeev Ram (USA)
Robin Haase (NED) / Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs [WC] Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP) / Albert Montañes (ESP)
Mikhail Elgin (RUS) / Denis Istomin (UZB) vs [WC] Iñigo Cervantes (ESP) / Gerard Granollers-Pujol (ESP)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2012, 05:03:38 PM »
Joining the Show - Steve Tignor

We know about Rafael Nadal’s dominance in Monte Carlo, but he’s been almost as good at this tournament, which he’s won a mere six times. It’s a 500 and non-mandatory, which means that Djokovic and Federer haven’t followed Nadal here. But Andy Murray, former resident of Barcelona, and David Ferrer, finalist a year ago, have. So, while a loss by the Spaniard would be highly unexpected, we can’t call it the Rafa Invitational just yet.

Aside from his knees and his results, Nadal-watchers will be looking to see whether the game he brought to Monte Carlo, and especially to the final against Djokovic, will arrive intact in Spain. The emphasis on the serve was its most important element. Rafa went after it and moved it around more all week. But you never know from day to day or week to week where your serve is going to be.

Nadal will open against one of two talented players, Rochus or Garcia-Lopez. Pablo Andujar, who troubled him at the French Open last year, is nearby. Janko Tipsarevic is the second-highest seed in his quarter. That could be a bruiser.

Others: Eighth seed Kei Nishikori will look to build on some solid clay play in Monte Carlo. Fifteenth seed Bernard Tomic will do the same. Third seed Ferrer is in Murray’s half, and will try to bounce back from an early loss to Thomaz Bellucci in Monte Carlo. Eleventh seed Milos Raonic has already won his first round and sits in Murray’s quarter.

As for Murray himself, what should we expect? This would seem like an ideal spot for him to throw his usual caution to the wind and try a few things out—a bigger forehand, a down the line backhand, maybe even a trip to the net or two. But I’ve said that about a lot of places where Murray has played over the years.

First-round match to watch: Tomic vs. Gulbis. You just knew they would find each other sooner or later, right?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Tuesday, 24 April,

Singles - Second Round

[2] Andy Murray (GBR) d. Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR) 63 62 in 1h18'
[6] Nicolas Almagro (ESP) d. Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) 75 76(3) in 1h47'
[9] Fernando Verdasco (ESP) d. Steve Darcis (BEL) 63 61 in 1h12'

Singles - First Round
Frederico Gil (POR) d. [12] Marcel Granollers (ESP) 62 62 in 1h12'
[13] Kevin Anderson (RSA) d. Malek Jaziri (TUN) 62 63 in 1h12'
[15] Bernard Tomic (AUS) d. Ernests Gulbis (LAT) 63 64 in 1h7'
[16] Pablo Andujar (ESP) d. [Q] David Goffin (BEL) 76(2) 64 in 1h42'
[17] Albert Ramos (ESP) d. Andreas Beck (GER) 41 ret. (back) in 21'
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) d. Olivier Rochus (BEL) 63 63 in 1h25'
Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ) d. Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP) 62 63 in 1h9'
Igor Andreev (RUS) d. Diego Junqueira (ARG) 62 63 in 1h8'
Victor Hanescu (ROU) d. Rui Machado (POR) 63 76(5) in 2h1'
Flavio Cipolla (ITA) d. Paolo Lorenzi (ITA) 60 63 in 1h1'
[Q] Robert Farah (COL) d. [LL] Arnau Brugues-Davi (ESP) 64 76(3) in 1h40'

Doubles - First Round
Jonathan Erlich (ISR) / Andy Ram (ISR) d. Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo (ESP) / Eduardo Schwank (ARG) 76(5) 76(4) in 1h42'
Eric Butorac (USA) / Bruno Soares (BRA) d. Scott Lipsky (USA) / Rajeev Ram (USA) 63 63 in 1h
Robin Haase (NED) / Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) d. [WC] Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP) / Albert Montañes (ESP) 57 63 10-4 in 1h12'
Mikhail Elgin (RUS) / Denis Istomin (UZB) d. [WC] Iñigo Cervantes (ESP) / Gerard Granollers-Pujol (ESP) 67(5) 63 10-8 in 1h35'

Día a día del Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell - Capítulo 4
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:22:10 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »
Murray, records 20th Match Win Of Season, Almagro, Verdasco Advance Into Third Round, Nadal to Debut Tomorrow

Andy Murray has a 2-3 record in Barcelona.

Andy Murray became the eighth player this year to register 20 match wins on Tuesday at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell. The second-seeded Scot, who trained in Barcelona as a teenager, improved to a 20-5 season record with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Sergiy Stakhovsky of Ukraine for a place in the third round.

"I thought I was hitting the ball well and I played better as the match went on," said Murray, who reached the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters quarter-finals last week (l. to Berdych). The Scot told media he had a good start to the tournament: “I hit the ball very well. Physically I felt in great shape, although I was a little tired mentally.”

Murray added that “Stakhovsky is a different rival who varies his shots a lot. I served well and won many points on the first serve, which is something I have been working on lately.”

http://www.tv3.cat/videos/4066670/2a-jornada-Barcelona-Open-Banc-Sabadell

http://www.tv3.cat/videos/4065730/Godo-2a-jornada-mati

Ninth seed Spanish favorite Fernando Verdasco, who defeated Robin Soderling for the 2010 title, experienced few problems in beating Belgian Steve Darcis 6-3, 6-1. Verdasco, one of two champions in the main draw along with six-time titlist Rafael Nadal, notched his 12th match win in Barcelona in 73 minutes. The World No. 20 dropped 12 points on his serve against Darcis, who saved six of 10 break points. The 2010 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell champion is happy about his successful return to the Real Club Tennis Barcelona after he missed out on the tournament last year. “It’s always a great feeling to return to a tournament as former champion. The clay court in Barcelona is perfect and I hope to get far this year. I hope to recover my best tennis here,” said Verdasco.

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20120424/verdasco-primer-espanol-octavos-del-conde-godo/518190.shtml

Sixth seed fellow Spaniard Nicolas Almagro, who is making his ninth appearance at the ATP World Tour 500 clay-court tournament (17-8 record), beat Eduoard Roger-Vasselin of France 7-5, 7-6(3) in one hour and 48 minutes. The Spaniard has already picked up one ATP World Tour title on red dirt this year at the Brasil Open in Sao Paulo (d. Volandri). He is 16-3 on clay in 2012.The World No. 12 faced a tough opener, reaching the tie-break in the second set after being one break down at 4-5. “Playing at home is always an extra pressure for me, I’m happy to have made it to the third round,” said Almagro.

Ninth seed Spanish favorite Fernando Verdasco, who defeated Robin Soderling for the 2010 title, experienced few problems in beating Belgian Steve Darcis 6-3, 6-1. Verdasco, one of two champions in the main draw along with six-time titlist Rafael Nadal, notched his 12th match win in Barcelona in 73 minutes. The World No. 20 dropped 12 points on his serve against Darcis, who saved six of 10 break points. The 2010 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell champion is happy about his successful return to the Real Club Tennis Barcelona after he missed out on the tournament last year. “It’s always a great feeling to return to a tournament as former champion. The clay court in Barcelona is perfect and I hope to get far this year. I hope to recover my best tennis here,” said Verdasco.

In first-round action, Portugal's Frederico Gil knocked out local resident and 12th seed Marcel Granollers 6-2, 6-2 in 73 minutes. Granollers is now 2-7 lifetime at the ATP World Tour 500 clay-court tournament. “It was a very bad game for me,” said a disappointed Granollers. “I have not been feeling very well since Monte Carlo. If you can’t play 100% you cannot do anything,” added the Spaniard, who has been suffering from flu since last week.

South African Kevin Anderson, the No. 13 seed, saved all six break points he faced to beat Malek Jaziri of Tunisia, 6-2, 6-3 in 73 minutes.

Australian No. 15 seed Bernard Tomic, the youngest player in the Top 50 of the South African Airways ATP Rankings, won 73 per cent of his service points to overcome Ernests Gulbis of Latvia 6-3, 6-4 in 68 minutes.

"I think I played well on my service games," 19-year-old Tomic told ATPWorldTour.com. "I am starting to move better on the clay and it is the best I've played so far. Hopefully in the next round [against Albert Montanes], I'll be ready to run and be physical with him. I think I'll need to play a little more aggressively and be patient at times."

Erlich/Ram Win On Return To Barcelona
Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram, making their team’s first appearance at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell in four years, edged Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo and Eduardo Schwank 7-6(5), 7-6(4) in one hour and 42 minutes Tuesday. The Israelis, runners-up in the 2012 season opener at Chennai, next face No. 3 seeds Mahesh Bhupathi and Nenad Zimonjic.

Eric Butorac and Bruno Soares, champions this past February at the clay-court tournament in Sao Paulo, needed one hour to dismiss Americans Scott Lipsky and Rajeev Ram 6-3, 6-3.

All eyes will be on the debut of Spain’s World No. 2 Rafa Nadal tomorrow, who arrived in Barcelona on Monday after claiming his record eighth consecutive title in Monte Carlo. Nadal will face fellow Spaniard Garcia Lopez on the Pista Central in the second afternoon match.  Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, the former World No. 23, defeated Belgian Olivier Rochus 6-3, 6-3. Nadal leads Garcia-Lopez 3-1 in the FedEx ATP Head 2 Head, with his sole loss coming on hard courts two years ago in the Bangkok semi-finals.

Other top players to debut on Wednesday are Spain’s clay-court specialist David Ferrer, Serbia’s World No. 8 Janko Tipsarevic, Japan’s Kei Nishikori and Spain’s Feliciano Lopez. Don’t miss out on the action!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:13:26 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »
Singles Draw Updated

(1) Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
(Q) Robert Farah (COL) vs (16) Pablo Andujar (ESP)
-----
Frederico Gil (POR) vs (Q) Joao Sousa (POR)
Victor Hanescu (ROU) vs (5) Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)
-------------
(9) Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
(Q) Federico Delbonis (ARG) vs (13) Kevin Anderson (RSA)
------
(17) Albert Ramos (ESP) vs Benoit Paire (FRA)
Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ) vs (8) Kei Nishikori (JPN)
--------------------------------------------
(7) Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs Flavio Cipolla (ITA)
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs (LL) Eduardo Schwank (ARG)
-------
(15) Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs Albert Montañes (ESP)
(WC) Filip Krajinovic (SRB) vs (3) David Ferrer (ESP)
------------
(6) Nicolas Almagro (ESP)
Igor Andreev (RUS) vs (11) Milos Raonic (CAN)
-----
Santiago Giraldo (COL) vs Robin Haase (NED)
(2) Andy Murray (GBR)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
Doubles Draw Updated

(1) Bob Bryan (USA) / Mike Bryan (USA) vs David Marrero (ESP) / Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
Mikhail Elgin (RUS) / Denis Istomin (UZB) vs (8) Oliver Marach (AUT) / Alexander Peya (AUT)
--------
(3) Mahesh Bhupathi (IND) / Nenad Zimonjic (SRB) vs Jonathan Erlich (ISR) / Andy Ram (ISR)
Alejandro Falla (COL) / Santiago Giraldo (COL) or Marcel Granollers (ESP) / Marc Lopez (ESP) vs (5) Frantisek Cermak (CZE) / Filip Polasek (SVK)
---------------
(7) Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi (PAK) / Jean-Julien Roger (NED) vs Andy Murray (GBR) / Jamie Murray (GBR) or Kevin Anderson (RSA) / Frank Moser (GER)
Eric Butorac (USA) / Bruno Soares (BRA) vs (4) Mariusz Fyrstenberg (POL) / Marcin Matkowski (POL)
---------
(6) Santiago Gonzalez (MEX) / Christopher Kas (GER) vs Nicolas Almagro (ESP) / Albert Ramos (ESP)
Robin Haase (NED) / Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs (2) Max Mirnyi (BLR) / Daniel Nestor (CAN)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:47:45 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »
Rafa Nadal and Kei Nishikori Play First Point at Sagrada Familia

Top seed Rafael Nadal and Japan’s Kei Nishikori have played their first point of the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, visiting the clay court at the Sagrada Familia. Spain’s tennis star and the World No. 17 have posed for pictures at Gaudi’s famous monument in the city center in front of a big crowd of surprised fans.

Both seeded players received a first round bye and will debut tomorrow at the Real Club Tenis Barcelona, with Nadal facing Guillermo Garcia Lopez and Nishikori taking on Mikhail Kukushkin.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
Making Of: Ballkids

check out the latest Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell Making Of: Ballkids!

Ball boys y jueces, un trabajo inapreciable
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:41:29 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 25, 2012 - ORDER OF PLAY

Pista Central, capacity 8400, Start 11:00 am

15] Bernard Tomic (AUS) v Albert Montanes (ESP)
Not Before 1:30 PM
[WC] Filip Krajinovic (SRB) v [3] David Ferrer (ESP)
[1] Rafael Nadal (ESP) v Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
[7] Feliciano Lopez (ESP) v Flavio Cipolla (ITA)
Victor Hanescu (ROU) v [5] Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)

Pista 1, capacacity 2600, Start 11:00 am
Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ) v [8] Kei Nishikori (JPN)
Igor Andreev (RUS) v [11] Milos Raonic (CAN)
[17] Albert Ramos (ESP) v Benoit Paire (FRA)
[1] Bob Bryan (USA) / Mike Bryan (USA) v David Marrero (ESP) / Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
[Q] Robert Farah (COL) v [16] Pablo Andujar (ESP)

Pista 2, capacity 600, Start 11:00 am
[Q] Federico Delbonis (ARG) v [13] Kevin Anderson (RSA)
Santiago Giraldo (COL) v Robin Haase (NED)
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) v [LL] Eduardo Schwank (ARG)
Alejandro Falla (COL) / Santiago Giraldo (COL) v Marcel Granollers (ESP) / Marc Lopez (ESP)
Frederico Gil (POR) v [Q] Joao Sousa (POR)

Pista 3, capacity 100, Start 1:00 pm
Mikhail Elgin (RUS) / Denis Istomin (UZB) v [8] Oliver Marach (AUT) / Alexander Peya (AUT)
Andy Murray (GBR) / Jamie Murray (GBR) v Kevin Anderson (RSA) / Frank Moser (GER)
Robin Haase (NED) / Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) v [2] Max Mirnyi (BLR) / Daniel Nestor (CAN)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
Almagro through, though unimpressive, 7-5, 7-6(3) vs. Roger-Vasselin. I'm not sure if the windy conditions held him in check or he just had an off day, but at least he picked up his play at the end of each set.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »
Nico was very unimpressive today, he did just what he needed to win the match in straights, the one handed bh is so great, in the match, he could rise his level when he was trailing in the first set and second set, in the next round he will face either Andreev or Raonic, Nico should take advantage of what seems the weakest quarter of the draw.
Verdasco played well against the very likable belgian Darcis. Still, fans difficul to forget or forgive his decision of not defending the title last year, one source told me he asked the same money as Nadal and organisers said no!
Murray, saw him hitting session with Lend, Lend is so fat!! and Andy all muscles! in the match vs Stakhovsky, again terrible body language, sad to see, seems he suffers a lot on clay. next match vs either Hase or Giraldo, but he is quite nice with kids-fans.
Granollers lost again early in the event, he was sick, flu and ankle problems, his partner in doubles Marc Lopez is also sick, the beach and windy-cold conditions in Montecarlo last weekend. Marc Lopez did not practise today. the conqueror of Granollers is a good clayocurter, Gil, from Portugal. Sadly the younger bro of Marcel, Gerard, age 22, also lost a very close match in doubles. Wishing the Granollers brothers will have better times in the future.
Anderson had no poblems against Jaziri, serve and volley, same as Tomic vs Gulbis, easy match!
Andujar didn't play well against belgian qualifier Goffin. geat to see tourney director and davis cup captain Albert Costa, staying in an empty Central during the match til the end at 8.40! Costa very likable guy.
Just bought my ticket to see Ramos, and the match lasted 10 minutes, Beck retired with back injury. sh-it
one source told me that Albert is really a very nice and polite guy. instant fan!
Garcia-Lopez played very well against Olivier Rochus, nice surpirse, the prize is to face Rafa tomorrow.
Kukushkin's breakthrough tourney was here some years ago, so no suprise he easily defeated Gimeno-Traver. Nishikori-Kukushin should be very interesting. Kei was hitting today with Tipsy. Kei looks like very fragile
Andreev had an easy win over Junqueira. Hanescu, playing here instead of Bucharest, had a real battle against surprising portuguese Machado. In an all italian match, Cipolla was wonderful against a very disppoiniting Lorenzi. Cipolla vs F.Lopez could be a great match. Qualifier Farah not impressive today against a much improved lucky loser, spaniard Brugues-Davi.
in doubles, all 4 matches didn't go the way I wished, expected more of Lipsky/Ram, Soares is a great doubles specialist. the match involving Haase/Nieminen vs Gimeno-Traver/Montañes was almost a friendly exho, quite sad with something that happened in the Erlich/Ram vs Rmairez Hidalgo/Schwank, the coach of Schwank seems like a guy with a lot of experiennce, the isralei fans too vocal, please shut up. sad to see two players that really neeed a win in Gerard Granollers/Inigo Cervantes losing in the match tiebreaker.
best today: Garcia-Lopez, Kukushkin, Cipolla, Tomic, Gil
so-so: Murray, Verdasco, Almagro, Andujar.
bad: Gulbis, Lorenzi, Granollers (flu), Beck, retiring.
wost: bad attendance but great weather, expecting the oposite for the wekeend.
and finally, save the best for last: hitting sesssion, Nadal vs Ferer.