Author Topic: Fed's String specs....are you serious?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
Fed's String specs....are you serious?
« on: June 29, 2005, 11:11:28 AM »
Did anyone else catch the graphic about Federer's string specifications?

Luxlion (sp?) poly on the mains - I expected that

Natty gut on the crosses - I expected that

string tension - 52 LBS! - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

that's insanely low. How he controls the ball with tension like that is beyond me. I always string mine nice and tight at 65lbs. I couldn't imagine playing with it strung at 52.
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:24:52 PM »
Yeah, that's insanely low. You'll need serious control to have tension that low.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:39:36 PM »
That is like a sling shot, I'm surprised with his racquet head speed that he would want any extra pace on the ball.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 04:28:53 PM »
Wrong, he uses gut on the mains and big banger on the crosses, with the main 3-4 lb tigher.  Beside, he's using a 90in racket, which would require a lower tension to acheive the stringbed stiffness as someone using 95 or 100.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 11:11:06 PM »
I checked the specs for the racquet and it's true that he's withing the recomended range of 50-60lbs.

I still don't think someone would put a stiff polyester string on the crosses of a racquet tho. Where did you get your info Jackal?
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

MC ill Guest

yeah
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 01:23:33 AM »
That's low, but you've gotta consider he's using a custom paint job with 85 to 87 square inch head.  For such a small head, I don't think it's that low.  Then again, I play with an OS and string it at 57, and I'm thinking about going down to 55.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 06:16:18 AM »
Quote from: "ImaMadGoat"
I checked the specs for the racquet and it's true that he's withing the recomended range of 50-60lbs.

I still don't think someone would put a stiff polyester string on the crosses of a racquet tho. Where did you get your info Jackal?

TW board, the website of the shop where I work (official stringers of TMS montreal).  He uses Alu Rough, which helps in holding the mains.  He likes gut and has been using it forever, but doesn't like the way to slides around so putting a textured poly cross helps keeping it still.  When my machine gets here this week, I'm gonna try a multi/poly job just to see how it feels.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com