Author Topic: Nole crys! His grandfather pasted away!  (Read 1195 times)

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Nole crys! His grandfather pasted away!
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis-busted-racquet/novak-djokovic-hears-grandfather-death-hours-scheduled-match-151541446.html

Hours after finding out his beloved grandfather, Vladimir, had died, Novak Djokovic battled back from a one-set deficit to defeat Alexandr Dolgopolov at the Monte Carlo Open, 2-6, 6-1, 6-4. The world No. 1 was on a practice court earlier in the day when he received the news and left the court in tears.

Djokovic had lived with his Vladimir during the 1999 bombings in Serbia and credited him with having a great influence on his career. After his win in Thursday's third-round match, Djokovic raised both hands to the sky and wept.

A recent "60 Minutes" piece included a clip of Novak visiting with his grandfather at his apartment in Belgrade. The world No. 1 spoke about how his grandfather, parents, brothers, aunts and uncles lived in the two-bedroom flat during the 78-day campaign. Cameras showed the basement bomb shelter where they'd retreat when air raid sirens sounded.

Last month, Djokovic tweeted about his grandfather's influence after a win in Miami. "I wanted to dedicate this title to my grandfather Vladimir, who is always sending me lots of positive energy," he wrote. "He is my hero and a fighter. He thought [sic] me since i was young to never give up."

Djokovic didn't talk to the press after the match and it's unknown if he'll remain in Monte Carlo for the rest of the week. He is seeking his first title at the clay court event. If he's to win one for his "deda," he'll likely have to beat Rafael Nadal, who hasn't lost in the event since 2003.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Nole crys! His grandfather pasted away!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
It really breaks my heart. I remember when I lost my grandfather ... he was such a great guy... I learned so much from him. He worked so hard all his life. He used to get up at 4am every morning. He had a small farm.  He used to read books to me when I was a kid ... miss him so much... rest in peace Mr. Vladimir Djokovic.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
Sorry for Nole's loss.  I lost my last grandpa almost a year ago.  Always sucks.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
 :(

R.I.P Vladimir Djokovic  ://
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:55:21 AM »
The love and example of our elders is of enormous support to us & their loss, immeasurable.  Mr. Djokovic senior sounds like a wonderful man.  He must have been very proud of Novak, and may all his family & loved ones find peace at this difficult time. Amen.

Carpe Diem

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 06:17:31 AM »
The love and example of our elders is of enormous support to us & their loss, immeasurable.  Mr. Djokovic senior sounds like a wonderful man.  He must have been very proud of Novak, and may all his family & loved ones find peace at this difficult time. Amen.
yeah ... Mr. Vladimir Djokovic used to take young Novak to a tennis court every day because his parents were too busy working at their restaurant. Novak had spend more time with his grandpa than with his parents at his young age.

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
Djokovic recovered appeared in court today, he easily won Haase

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »
so that explains that lost set to Dolgo...
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
        Novak's presser after his quarter-final match

Q. Was it easier to play today than yesterday?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Sincerely, yes. Yesterday I received the news at wrong time. Well, I think anytime is the wrong time to receive that news.
Today was a bit better, but still a lot of emotional ups and downs throughout the match.
But look, you know, I'm playing tennis. I'm very satisfied that I was able to, you know, compose myself and get on the court and try to win matches.
I got to the semifinals, which is big result for me under the circumstances.

Q. Did you consider pulling out?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, I did. Yeah, I did. But I'm a professional in one hand, and life goes on. I know that I cannot change anything now. Obviously it's what life gives you and takes you. It's a normal circle of life.
I was very close to him, so it was a big loss for me and all the family.
But he's with me, I know that, in spirit. I'm remembering only the nicest memories, and that's what gave me strength to play yesterday and today. So, yeah.

Q. Can sometimes actually playing be a bit of a therapy almost?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: In some ways, yes. Over the years, I've learned whenever I play tennis to kind of switch off from everything else. You get that mindset and that ability to switch off when you dedicate a lot of time to this sport.
So it could have been the case that, you know, in some ways I was getting my thoughts off that. But still it's present. Obviously it's not that easy.

Q. Were you thinking to possibly to go to the funeral and then come back or it's out of the possibility?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, it's not possible. It's a very sensitive thing to talk about really. Every religion has a different way of proceeding, the funerals, life itself.
I like to believe that when a person goes away from this world, the spirit stays and just moves to another living being, and we should celebrate the life that that person left behind.
So I tried to focus on that. Obviously it's not an easy task to talk about because you keep on thinking about a person not being present. But, look, you know, I have the nicest memories only. I would like it to stay that way.

Q. How much stronger do you feel after that?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I will see. I don't know. It's still very fresh to make that judgment.

Q. Grand Slams aside, to win a tournament like this in these circumstances, would it rank extremely highly, given the highly charged emotion of the whole week?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, well, you know, I don't believe that I'm the first person in the world that experiences this. I know that many people understand what the feeling is right now.
As I said, I'm proud of how my family's handling everything. I'm happy that my two brothers are here with me, at least, my girlfriend and my team. The rest of the family is back in Serbia. We are all trying to go through this together, and that's the most important thing.

Q. When are you planning to go back to Belgrade for the first time, do you think?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Probably next week, yeah, when I'm finished with this.

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
        Novak's presser after his quarter-final match

Q. Was it easier to play today than yesterday?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Sincerely, yes. Yesterday I received the news at wrong time. Well, I think anytime is the wrong time to receive that news.
Today was a bit better, but still a lot of emotional ups and downs throughout the match.
But look, you know, I'm playing tennis. I'm very satisfied that I was able to, you know, compose myself and get on the court and try to win matches.
I got to the semifinals, which is big result for me under the circumstances.

Q. Did you consider pulling out?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, I did. Yeah, I did. But I'm a professional in one hand, and life goes on. I know that I cannot change anything now. Obviously it's what life gives you and takes you. It's a normal circle of life.
I was very close to him, so it was a big loss for me and all the family.
But he's with me, I know that, in spirit. I'm remembering only the nicest memories, and that's what gave me strength to play yesterday and today. So, yeah.

Q. Can sometimes actually playing be a bit of a therapy almost?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: In some ways, yes. Over the years, I've learned whenever I play tennis to kind of switch off from everything else. You get that mindset and that ability to switch off when you dedicate a lot of time to this sport.
So it could have been the case that, you know, in some ways I was getting my thoughts off that. But still it's present. Obviously it's not that easy.

Q. Were you thinking to possibly to go to the funeral and then come back or it's out of the possibility?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No, it's not possible. It's a very sensitive thing to talk about really. Every religion has a different way of proceeding, the funerals, life itself.
I like to believe that when a person goes away from this world, the spirit stays and just moves to another living being, and we should celebrate the life that that person left behind.
So I tried to focus on that. Obviously it's not an easy task to talk about because you keep on thinking about a person not being present. But, look, you know, I have the nicest memories only. I would like it to stay that way.

Q. How much stronger do you feel after that?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I will see. I don't know. It's still very fresh to make that judgment.

Q. Grand Slams aside, to win a tournament like this in these circumstances, would it rank extremely highly, given the highly charged emotion of the whole week?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yes, well, you know, I don't believe that I'm the first person in the world that experiences this. I know that many people understand what the feeling is right now.
As I said, I'm proud of how my family's handling everything. I'm happy that my two brothers are here with me, at least, my girlfriend and my team. The rest of the family is back in Serbia. We are all trying to go through this together, and that's the most important thing.

Q. When are you planning to go back to Belgrade for the first time, do you think?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Probably next week, yeah, when I'm finished with this.

Djokovic seemed fully recovered from Haase.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 02:18:56 AM »
Nole and his grandpa Mr. Vladimir Djokovic

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 07:28:31 AM »
Nole and his grandpa Mr. Vladimir Djokovic

Beautiful picture.

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
Everyone learns from his grandfather except that my grandfather learns from me.  :))
The world awaits no genius

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 05:46:48 AM »
Everyone learns from his grandfather except that my grandfather learns from me.  :))
good one med  :))

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 06:04:46 AM »

Very funny.

Offline kopite

• Tennis Player
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
Sorry for you, Nole

Offline CoraCWoods

• New Poster
    • Vizio M370SL
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:32 AM »
R.I.P Vladimir Djokovic