Author Topic: Who is the hardest hitting tour player both in mens and ladies currently?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
When I an talking about hitting; I mean groundstrokes - forehand and backhand.  I cannot comment since I have not seen any of the tour players in person since 2010!  TV does not show the speed of the groundstroke.   

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
ATP: If your metric is FH+BH+Serve, I'll take Almagro. I'd say he's right there measuring just FH+BH.

WTA: Serena and Kvitova, not sure which order.

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Nole in the men's dept I think and Stosur is up there along with Kvitova in the women's

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
Nole in the men's dept I think and Stosur is up there along with Kvitova in the women's

I think this too.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
hardest might be tough to know because there are many players who hit very hard......del potro's forehand and djokovic's backhand might be the hardest shots out there.......djokovic mainly beats you with depth though.......

there are many players who can bash hard but their consistency is nowhere near top players......some of them are chardy, korolev, lacko with his forehand......tsonga smacks some of the hardest forehands, soderling bashes too.......alamagro and verdasco can smack as well but they are all not consistent....... 

some south american clay courters hit real hard too.......obviously gonzalez used to, eduard schwank and some others.......see how hard puerta was hitting in this roland garros final.......

[youtube]
Nadal vs Puerta Final Roland Garros 2005 Highlights
[/youtube]

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
d-pot and no-djok are the hardest hitters on the planet.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Strange nobody mention James Blake!  The go for it all or nothing guy!

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Gonzo was scary.. That back-lift on his strokes was a harbinger of the havoc he unleashed.. Nole is pretty fearsome, especially when in the groove.. Del Potro hits the ball as hard as anyone.. :)>>>>

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Umm Federer is consistently the highest in pace on all shots.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
negative.

next.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
negative.

next.

Do you watch tennis or you only pay attention when Nadal is on clay?  :rofl_2:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Gonzo was scary.. That back-lift on his strokes was a harbinger of the havoc he unleashed.. Nole is pretty fearsome, especially when in the groove.. Del Potro hits the ball as hard as anyone.. :) >>>>

Yeah, Gonzo could crank the ball.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
The hardest hitter I saw that I can remember accurately was Mark Philippoussis!  I think he hit his forehand and it was clocked at 140 mph!  That faster then his serve which was also fast.  Is there anyone today that can match his forehand? 

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
HD Federer / Gasquet Practice 1/2.mov

Federer / Gasquet Practice at the U.S. Open!  Now you can see how hard
Federer hits his groundstrokes.  I of course, hit much harder :))
(I going get a lot of replies out of this thread - most will be negative!) :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Yeah, I'd say Djokovic and DP ...

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
HarryWild, good call on Philippousssis!  Having seen him play more than a few times up close in match and in practice, I can say that it was the only time (other than Del Potro in US Open semis against Rafa in 2009) I felt like someone was going to explode the ball every time he struck a forehand - I remember laughing at myself for thinking back in the 80's that I would never see a bigger forehand than Lendl's, and then again in the early 90s when I thought the same thing with Courier and Agassi. 

Also, I am surprised that Robin Soderling has not been mentioned (I wonder at this point if we'll ever see him play again).  The guy's groundstrokes are very heavy on the opponent's arms when he is on a roll, especially when he strikes those cannon shots on high balls about his shoulder level. 

Having said all that, Rafa's forehand when he is swinging his arm full-force is a visual phenomenon.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
The hardest hitter I saw that I can remember accurately was Mark Philippoussis!  I think he hit his forehand and it was clocked at 140 mph!  That faster then his serve which was also fast.  Is there anyone today that can match his forehand?

Umm... no.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
You can't forget Nadal here, he has an inside out forehand that hits a high bouncing ball with some serious pace.

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
You can't forget Nadal here, he has an inside out forehand that hits a high bouncing ball with some serious pace.

Everything in Nadal's forehand is excellent, his problem is the backhand and service.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
HarryWild, good call on Philippousssis!  Having seen him play more than a few times up close in match and in practice, I can say that it was the only time (other than Del Potro in US Open semis against Rafa in 2009) I felt like someone was going to explode the ball every time he struck a forehand - I remember laughing at myself for thinking back in the 80's that I would never see a bigger forehand than Lendl's, and then again in the early 90s when I thought the same thing with Courier and Agassi. 

Also, I am surprised that Robin Soderling has not been mentioned (I wonder at this point if we'll ever see him play again).  The guy's groundstrokes are very heavy on the opponent's arms when he is on a roll, especially when he strikes those cannon shots on high balls about his shoulder level. 

Having said all that, Rafa's forehand when he is swinging his arm full-force is a visual phenomenon.

I watch on TV Rafa; and he seems to need a sitter type ball before he can hit his forehand hard with spin.  If his opponent hit back the ball with force or with underspin he will not try to swing for the "volocity" ball but will just be happy to place it well and wait for another chance at a setup type ball that is either high and come back with almost no force behind it so he can get a good jump on smashing it!  Mark  Philippousssis at his career peak just went for it no matter what type of ball was hit back!  That why he was so fun to watch because hej just went for it!