Author Topic: ATP, Masters Madrid Open, 5-13 May 2012  (Read 10357 times)

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
Re: ATP, Masters Madrid Open, 5-13 May 2012
« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
Two things I've discerned this season about Nadal so far.

1. He was beaten by Federer in blistery conditions in Miami voiding the raised claim as best 'elements' player.
2. To further validate my petition above, Nadal fell miserable with his tongue out in Madrid.

The most pertinent question to ask now, is what might we see again. I think over a year Nadal has become very capricious the result of which compounded by you-know-who, the misery of 7 straight loses which has left a sticky dirty smear on a once gleaming gold providing convicting evidence among knowledgeable tennis fans.
The world awaits no genius

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #241 on: May 14, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »
I just realized something and this should concern Nole's freinds. If Roger wins Rome and Nole fails to get to the Semis, then Roger will be the new number one. This ranking will last for the next three weeks, surpassing Sampras's record of 283 weeks. Well that makes ROME a pivotal tournament for them....

Are you certain? Didn't the points from Rome already come off?

Sorry, you are right. I got so carried away with the possibility of Roger regaining his number one back that I didn't fact check few things. Apparently, the points from last year has already been accounted for..... sorry FALSE ALARM.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2012, 06:34:43 PM »
I just realized something and this should concern Nole's freinds. If Roger wins Rome and Nole fails to get to the Semis, then Roger will be the new number one. This ranking will last for the next three weeks, surpassing Sampras's record of 283 weeks. Well that makes ROME a pivotal tournament for them....

Are you certain? Didn't the points from Rome already come off?

Sorry, you are right. I got so carried away with the possibility of Roger regaining his number one back that I didn't fact check few things. Apparently, the points from last year has already been accounted for..... sorry FALSE ALARM.

No worries. We have and will continue to go over this every week  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:42:59 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #243 on: May 14, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »

1. He was beaten by Federer in blistery conditions in Miami voiding the raised claim as best 'elements' player.
2. To further validate my petition above, Nadal fell miserable with his tongue out in Madrid.

The most pertinent question to ask now, is what might we see again. I think over a year Nadal has become very capricious the result of which compounded by you-know-who, the misery of 7 straight loses which has left a sticky dirty smear on a once gleaming gold providing convicting evidence among knowledgeable tennis fans.

None of that changes the fact that:

1. Nadal owns Federer, body & soul.
2. Nadal is the clay GOAT
3. Nadal leads Djokovic 17-14(5-3 in slams)

Eat it!
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #244 on: May 14, 2012, 07:51:06 PM »
Billy Jean King, in response to all the :crying: from the men: champions adjust.

Rafa rely too much on defense and stretching for balls that force them to slide. Nole made a fool of himself saying the winner will be the Guy who doesn't get injured.  No, the winner was the Guy who adjusted.

I was trying to entice you into a discussion on tactics after watching Fed-Raonic, but all I got was some whining from Bill.

Final point, today's players are such spoiled brats. The courts have been normalized so that the top players can excel on all surfaces and yet that's not enough. Now, what, they want their own people to manicure the courts to their liking. It's unbelievable the mentality of these guys.
Heaven forbid we actually talk about tennis instead of the players.  Effffffffff all the fanboys. :ZZZZZ)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #245 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »
No, it does fit. The player who played more aggressively and went for their shots were standing at the end. Guys who stubbornly tried to play their game, one clearly illsuited for the courts, fell. Roger figured this out after one set. He S&V'd on every 1st and 2nd serve in the second set. Now, either Rafa and Nole are to stubborn or they lack the skill set.
OMFG you mean there were players that wanted to play pattycake instead of tennis?  Mon Dieu! :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #246 on: May 14, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/05/Features/Brain-Game-Federer-Fast-And-Furious-In-Madrid.aspx

Brain Game: Federer Fast & Furious In Madrid
Matua Madrid Open Final
by Craig O'Shannessy

© Getty Images
Roger Federer won close to two thirds of his points within three shots or less.
 Craig O'Shannessy breaks down the Mutua Madrid Open final.

Roger Federer relied heavily on first strike tennis to narrowly defeat Tomas Berdych in three sets in the final of the Mutua Madrid Open. The conditions in Madrid favoured attacking early in the point and both players were much more aggressive with their serve and return of serve than normal.

Federer was well rewarded for his aggressive play, winning almost two out of three points within the first three shots of the rally Ė unheard of in traditional clay-court tennis. Federer won 65 of 103 points (63%) for the match within the first three shots of the point.

Yet it was Berdych who set the tone of the match in the second game when he hammered two return winners in Federerís opening service game to get the initial break of the match.

More than half of total points (122/204 or 59.8%) ended within the first three shots of the rally as both players placed more emphasis on ending the point early rather than building a traditional clay-court rally from the back of the court.

Federer and Berdych brought more pressure on the service return than normal, combining to hit 10 return winners (five each).

Federerís four backhand return winners were all hit off second serves down the line in the Ad court, the No. 1 place on tour from which return winners are typically hit. The lone forehand winner was also hit from the Ad court, but it went cross court and skidded off the line past Berdychís racquet to give Federer a set point at 5-6, 15-40 in the second set.

Berdych hit four of his five return winners down the line (three Ad court, one Deuce court) as he looked to make points as short and aggressive as possible.

Below is a breakdown of the 122 points that lasted three shots or less.

Federer First Strike Points* Won Serving and Receiving.

Federer Aces

Federer Return Winners

Federer 1st Shot After Serve Winners

Federer Serve And First Volley Winners

Berdych 1st Shot After Serve Errors

Berdych Forehand Return Errors

Berdych Backhand Return Errors

Berdych Double Faults

Total First Strike Points Won
 65/103

Berdych was also following the same aggressive game plan and won 56% of his points within the first three shots of the rally.

Berdych First Strike Points Won Serving and Receiving

Berdych Aces

Berdych Return Winners

Berdych 1st Shot After Serve Winners

Berdych Serve & First Volley Winners

Federer 1st Shot After Serve Errors

Federer Forehand Return Errors

Federer Backhand Return Errors

Federer Double Faults

Total First Strike Points Won
 57/101

*First strike defined as points lasting three shots or less.

Craig O'Shannessy is the founder of the Brain Game , a tennis analysis website that uses extensive tagging, metrics and formulas to uncover the patterns and percentages behind the game.
Don't complicate the 'discussion' with actual facts William.  You should know better than that by now. ;-() ;-() ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #247 on: May 14, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »

Eat it!

Federerfanforever????????

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2012, 12:01:13 AM »
FFF sucks as a fan but he is a  fun guy  ;-(). he is just fooling around because he is bored  :king:. I wouldn't take it too seriously plus I think he is a closeted Nole fan  :rofl_2:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

Eat it!

concurred, all those are nothing but facts.......those 7 losses are long forgotten history.......i have been saying so since the beginning of the year.......they never listened.......look what happened in montecarlo.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
concurred, all those are nothing but facts.......those 7 losses are long forgotten history.......i have been saying so since the beginning of the year.......they never listened.......look what happened in montecarlo.......

Nadal's amnesia skills are legendary!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
he has this great ability of putting the past behind and focusing on the present.......very few people have that ability.......it's a shame you think he's amnesic.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »

Are you serious ? Are you ? I consider Monte Carlo anything but a complete indifference by Djokovic towards the game. Djokovic was ostensibly apathetic ! The guy lost his beloved grandfather prior ! In fact the slight margin Nadal has in the head 2 head against Djokovic is littered with so many such victories. What comes to mind immediately is London 2010 when Djokovic had obvious problems with his eye contacts.
When Djokovic is ready to play, he'll bring with him a bench and sit at the center of the court and still beat Nadal.
Come on ! It wasn't long ago when Nadal was in total perplexity, mystified by Djokovic's whipping hand to which he can do nothing.
Nadal cannot beat a willing Djokovic even if he gets another pair of legs !

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »

nicely said medwatt..
i might agree on this only b'coz of the immense improvement in djokovic's movement & groundstrokes on the court..
however, i believe nadal can beat a in-form nole( only on clay :) ) by improving his pathetic serve..he has to either increase the speed or improve his accuracy..it has tons of spin but when it comes to numbers, its no match when compared to nole & even fed..
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #254 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »

Are you serious ? Are you ? I consider Monte Carlo anything but a complete indifference by Djokovic towards the game. Djokovic was ostensibly apathetic ! The guy lost his beloved grandfather prior ! In fact the slight margin Nadal has in the head 2 head against Djokovic is littered with so many such victories. What comes to mind immediately is London 2010 when Djokovic had obvious problems with his eye contacts.
When Djokovic is ready to play, he'll bring with him a bench and sit at the center of the court and still beat Nadal.
Come on ! It wasn't long ago when Nadal was in total perplexity, mystified by Djokovic's whipping hand to which he can do nothing.

the last time djokovic beat nadal quite convincingly was the us open final last year.......that was 8 months ago.......since then they played a final on djokovic's favourite surface and djokovic barely edged past nadal.......then they played a final on nadal's favourite surface and djokovic was thrashed.......grandpa loss talk was all made up bulls**t.......he just knew he wasn't going to beat this nadal and chickened out of the final.......

he came out and beat dolgopolov just a few hours after after his loss of grandpa......if he really was so dejected, he wouldn't even have played that match.......

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »

just stick to what you said and don't edit this post.......we will talk again in 2 months......

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
Tell us why should Djokovic chickened out when he's trounced Nadal on every surface in 7 meetings.

Give me a logical reason, even if it is untrue, I'll accept it.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »
If they skip Madrid, then both Nadal and Djokovic should be banned from the tour for a period of time, in my opinion.

Both Verdasco and Tipsarevic also had to adapt to the blue slippery clay, just as much as Djokovic and Nadal.
These are professional players who are lucky to earn multimillion dollars annually just because they are good at something as meaningless to the world as tennis.

Oeh oeh oeh, we have to play on blue clay! Cry cry cry. People in Taiwan are drowning in Haiti there is no food and these pricks are complaining about blue clay and acting like freaking gods. I genuinely hope, the ATP will punish this arrogant egocentric and unrealistic behavior.

It was worth logging in just to read this post,  Bazcovic!!  It gave me a much needed laugh! 

As for the tennis, I really liked Raonic's effort here. He took Federer to the wire & seemed completely self assured. I'm hoping he can remain consistent (although I note he is already out of Rome)   Perhaps he'll do well at the FO.

Congratulations to Federer & Berdych for an excellent tournament for them & and for providing an interesting finals match.  Whereas Federer would crack under pressure much more easily several months ago, he seems more focused, is more ready to "tweak" his game to adapt to prevailing conditions & appears to be less fragile generally then he had become.  Whilst a handful of swallows does not a summer make, he is looking in consistently good form again & I'm delighted to see it. I hope he continues to play well.

Berdych too looks confident & is playing very well.       

As for Nadal & Djokovic, it would be foolish in the extreme to view their losses in Madrid as indicative of anything more than that.  Whether they like their comfort zones too much or not is neither here or there. Both have excelled on all surfaces in the past & will no doubt continue to do so. 
Carpe Diem

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »
No doubt Nadal is the mental champion. It has nothing to do with his 5400rpm forehand.