Author Topic: Changing Tactic (Serve and Volley) on Blue Clay  (Read 1341 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Changing Tactic (Serve and Volley) on Blue Clay
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »
I see someone suggested Federer used serve and volley in entire match against Raonic is the adapted strategy for this blue clay. They think because it is slippy, ball throughs air much more quicker and the ball bounce very low, there is no way to chase Raonic's best combination of 1st serve and monster forehand. It is too danger to do so. So Federer switch to serve and volley tactic in entire match, cut short the point and reduce needs of movement on baseline (I was totally nervous as I am still a Federer fan).

But put question in this thread, is serve and volley style right play for this blue clay in the future (assume organisation don't change it in the future).

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Changing Tactic (Serve and Volley) on Blue Clay
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »
I see someone suggested Federer used serve and volley in entire match against Raonic is the adapted strategy for this blue clay. They think because it is slippy, ball throughs air much more quicker and the ball bounce very low, there is no way to chase Raonic's best combination of 1st serve and monster forehand. It is too danger to do so. So Federer switch to serve and volley tactic in entire match, cut short the point and reduce needs of movement on baseline (I was totally nervous as I am still a Federer fan).

But put question in this thread, is serve and volley style right play for this blue clay in the future (assume organisation don't change it in the future).

Fed is the most adaptable player, he has skills in so many areas and can adjust because of that.

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »
Serve and volley is the best tatic on blue clay.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
That was me!!!

I tried with all me might to start a discussion about Roger's tactical change after playing just one set on the stuff but to no avail. No one was interested. My feeling is that Rafa and Nole are either too stubborn or they don't have the skill set. Roger looked like a professional tennis player for the first time in his career. 
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
That was me!!!

I tried with all me might to start a discussion about Roger's tactical change after playing just one set on the stuff but to no avail. No one was interested. My feeling is that Rafa and Nole are either too stubborn or they don't have the skill set. Roger looked like a professional tennis player for the first time in his career.

In this forum, you may be the only one. But in Asia and other parts of the world, a lot of people have similar suggestion with you. I see a lot of Taiwanese poeple give credits on this changing strategy.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »
Very observant William & Babs. :king: :king:

Unfortunately most of the members here would rather talk fanboy B.S. than actual tennis. :ZZZZZ)

Affirmative?
Negative?
Nole is De Bess.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:14:44 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »
I think William's link he posted from the ATP site is also very revealing. Both Federer and Berdych played an aggressive game and were able to have great success with it, especially Berdych who over the course of the tournament has put a beat down on far more defensive players. It's also telling that the two people who gave Berdych trouble (Del Potro and Federer) and those who gave Federer trouble (Raonic and Berdych) were both fellow first-strikers.

I don't quite trust that serve and volley is the way to go on any surface anymore. As a surprise tactic, yes, definitely. Very few folks have the kinda serve required to serve and volley. And I'm not talking just pace here, the kind which most players these days like Berdych and co. can produce in the 140mph ranges. Gasquet throws in a mean serve and volley when he feels like it, and I'm glad to see Federer taking a stab at it with good results. Should be an inspiration for others to try.

That said, I would think that serve and volley might sometimes be a better option on slower surfaces than quicker ones as the server will have more time to set-up at the net. coupled with the right serve, that's dangerous. Without the extra time on faster courts the server might not be able to get up to the net comfortably enough and might be forced to hit awkward half-volley's from behind or around the service line, or simply get passed by better returners who can step in and take a stab at the ball and redirect it as it skids towards them. And a less than stellar half-volley is pretty much a point lost these days when it comes to taking the net.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:33:31 AM »
Classic pawan!!!! Sound familiar, yo! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Reading through your lame comments I'm left wondering, has anyone ever watched Roger play before. Roger made a really profound tactical move to begin the 2nd set. He S&V'ed on every 1st and 2nd serve for an entire set. And when it didn't work, he didn't abandon it. He went right back at it. I've been saying, with the rate the ball travels today, it would be wise to S&V on clay. It just takes skill and guts. Roger showed he had both, tonight.

That's so indicative of this place. Y'all can't think for yourselves. Have to read an article to tell you what to think.

And Bill, at least you were the only one who noticed at the time, but this was the best you had to offer.

I was totally frustration at that time, watching him continues moving foreward and try to serve volley and was being pass by Raonic.

WEAK!!!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:00:11 AM »
Classic pawan!!!! Sound familiar, yo! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Reading through your lame comments I'm left wondering, has anyone ever watched Roger play before. Roger made a really profound tactical move to begin the 2nd set. He S&V'ed on every 1st and 2nd serve for an entire set. And when it didn't work, he didn't abandon it. He went right back at it. I've been saying, with the rate the ball travels today, it would be wise to S&V on clay. It just takes skill and guts. Roger showed he had both, tonight.

That's so indicative of this place. Y'all can't think for yourselves. Have to read an article to tell you what to think.

And Bill, at least you were the only one who noticed at the time, but this was the best you had to offer.

I was totally frustration at that time, watching him continues moving foreward and try to serve volley and was being pass by Raonic.

WEAK!!!

ha ha! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
Damnit! I just want to laugh!! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:01:29 AM by williamchung7 »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »
 :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
That was me!!!

Oh please! :head-bash: Roger looks like a professional tennis player ALL THE TIME in my book. :)~

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
That was me!!!

Oh please! :head-bash: Roger looks like a professional tennis player ALL THE TIME in my book. :)~

Affirmative.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
That was me!!!

the only problem is 'your book' has only one page and it's called Roger  :)~.  oh, am I trolling?  :innocent:  :))

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »
That was me!!!

the only problem is 'your book' has only one page and it's called Roger  :)~.  oh, am I trolling?  :innocent:  :))

Hahaha Ha Ha!!   :rofl_2:

Offline tammywilson52

• Tennis Player
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 04:11:09 AM »
Federer definitely should've looked to change up his approach in that match. With that said, it had to be one of the worst tennis court surfaces we've seen in a long time, so I think most players are doing their best to forget about their performance. Next year should be completely different.