Author Topic: WTA - Premier, Roma, 12-20 May 2012  (Read 2567 times)

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
Re: WTA - Premier, Roma, 12-20 May 2012
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
So Serena plays Na Li....  Go Serena.  Out of 3 of my girls - only Serena remains.  Venus fought hard today, but she's still a little rusty after the long layoff.  Hopefully she'll be ok for the French.  Hopefully Victoria will be ok for the French... and Hopefully Serena will keep her streak going.
I'm in awe that Venus is doing so well, playing with her disease.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »
Looks like Sharapova is going to win another tournamen!  I think Na is not going to be too good against power tennis.  Too bad for Serena!  Now Serena will have hopefully a second grand slam French; after her rest that is!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 09:18:04 AM »
This is a complete joke!!   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Li wins 6 games in a row, then craps herself when she thinks she's going to win and loses the next 9 games in a row and 10 of 11. Now Sharapova thinks she's going to win and loses 4 games in a row!

4-4 in the 3rd

This is one of those scorelines that's very deceiving.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »
Rain delay at 6-6..
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »
Checked the weather, rain for the next few days.  :)>>>>

Checked the hourly, rain forecasted for every hour.

Checked the map, a system is hanging over all of Rome with no breaks for hundreds of miles.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/graph/Rome+ITXX0067:1:IT

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/ITXX0067:1?interactiveMapLayer=sat&baseMap=r&zoom=6

:(

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »
Sunday, 20 May, Centrale, Doubles Final

(3) Sara Errani (ITA) / Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) / Elena Vesnina 62 75 in 1h23'

Errani & Vinci become 1st all-Italian team to win in Rome since 1985, their 5th WTA doubles title of 2012.

Italians Conquer Rome, First Time Since 1985

Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci brought their fifth WTA doubles title of the year home - at home - on Sunday, defeating Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina in the final of the Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome.

Neither team had dropped a set en route to the final but it was the No.3-seeded Errani and Vinci who managed to keep that up, cruising through a 32-minute first set then battling back from 4-2 down in the second set, taking five of the last six games of the match to close out the unseeded Russian pairing, 62 75.

"We played well this week and have been playing very well overall," Errani said. "We're very happy we could win this and we hope to continue playing like this."

Errani and Vinci are the first all-Italian duo to win the doubles title in Rome since Sandra Cecchini and Raffaella Reggi won it all the way back in 1985.

"This was a different, very special victory for us, to win here in Rome," Vinci said. "I think the secret to our success is we are such good friends too."

The Italians have now won 10 WTA doubles titles together, their first eight coming at the International level but their last two - Madrid last week, and Rome this week - being Premiers. They faced Makarova and Vesnina in both finals.

"It was tough to play them at home, but they played very good tennis today, much better than in Madrid last week," Makarova said. "They had a lot of motivation to win this tournament at home and all credit to them today."

Makarova and Vesnina's runs to the finals of Madrid and Rome were actually their very first WTA tournaments together - not a bad start for the Russian pair.

"Elena's a great player and a great person, so I'm very happy to play with her," Makarova said. "She really knows everything about doubles and even teaches me things sometimes. Two tournaments and two finals is a very good start.

"We're playing together at Roland Garros and of course we hope to get into the Olympics, but it's a little far away and we aren't thinking about it yet."

The Top 2 teams in the world were also in Rome, with No.1-seeded Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond making the semifinals (falling to Errani and Vinci) and No.2 seeds Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik dropping their opener (to another all-Italian team, Flavia Pennetta and Francesca Schiavone).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:39:35 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
Brava!  :applause:

These girls are really good!

Women to begin at 6-6 in the 3rd. TB to win the title. How weird  :scared: :lmao:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Sunday, 20 May, Singles Final

(2) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. (8) Na Li (CHN) 46 64 76(5) in 2h52'

Sharapova Hangs On, Conquers Li & Rome

With some incredible fight to back up her incredible power game, Maria Sharapova came back from the brink of defeat to beat Li Na in the final of the Internazionali BNL d'Italia, saving match point and even weathering a two hour rain delay before the third set tie-break to conquer the Eternal City.

The No.8-seeded Li hadn't won a WTA title since becoming Asia's first Grand Slam champion at the French Open almost a year ago, and that hunger was evident as she built a 64 40 lead. Never one to back down, Sharapova dug deep and won eight games in a row from there, taking the second set and going ahead 2-0 in the third. She eventually built a 4-1, two-break lead in the third.

Li regrouped from the mid-match collapse and won four games in a row, getting both breaks back to get the match back on serve. She even got to match point with Sharapova serving 5-6, ad-out - but she didn't convert and Sharapova held, and just minutes later the skies opened, suspending play for over two hours.

"I don't mind rain - actually I like it," Sharapova said. "One time it helped me a lot, when I won Wimbledon. In the semifinals it started raining when I was down and out against Lindsay Davenport. I was pretty much booking my ticket back home. But when we came back I managed to turn it around.

"Today the court was wet and slippery when we came back, but the umpire told us it was our decision, and both of us wanted to keep going."

Upon resumption it was Sharapova who came out faster, winning the first three points of the tie-break - and although Li got back on track, catching up to 4-4 and 5-5, one last burst gave the No.2-seeded Sharapova a 46 64 76(5) win.

"Obviously it's tough to rest for two hours and then play again, but I still have many positive things from this match," Li said. "Playing a tough match like that showed me I'm strong, and physically I felt great. I can take a lot of positive things away from this week and I think I'm ready for the French Open.

"We both had our chances today, but in the end she was just better."

"This is a great win for me going into Roland Garros," Sharapova said. "I know the level she played there last year and the level she can play on clay, the way she defends and moves around and gets herself back into position, she's just a great player on any surface really. So this gives me a lot of confidence.

"It will be nice to have a week off now, after playing three tournaments in the last four weeks. I'll have to time to recover, mentally and physically."

Sharapova collected her second WTA title of the year, having won another Premier clay court event in Stuttgart last month, and it was the 26th WTA title of her career (the only active players with more WTA titles are Venus Williams with 43 and Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters, who both have 41).

This was also Sharapova's first time successfully defending a WTA clay court title, and fourth overall - she won back-to-back titles at Tokyo [Japan Open] in 2003 and 2004, Birmingham in 2004 and 2005 and San Diego in 2006 and 2007.

Li may not have won a WTA title since last year's French Open, but she has had some very strong results this year: finals at Premier-level events in Sydney and Rome and another four quarterfinals, all at Premier-level events too - Indian Wells, Miami, Stuttgart and Madrid. She is 5-7 in her career in WTA finals.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:38:17 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
Maria had a pretty good clay court season.  For the French - she might want someone to take out Serena (if they are on the same side).  Seems like she has no idea how to play Serena - but she's playing pretty well against the other players.  She's backing up her #2 ranking right now - on her worse surface!

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
can we assume now that maria is the favorite at RG?
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2012, 11:18:05 PM »
yep..maria is now the favourite for RG.. :)>>>>

For me, the winner of RG will be from this group :
Maria, Azarenka, Williams , Li na, ivanovic & for the sake of RG : schiavone( though its way too tough for her to win it this year)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
i see RG winner as follows (from best, 2n best, etc).. Serena, Azarenka, Sharapova, Li, Stosur, Ivanovic.

It would be great if Kuzy, Li or Stosur won. But I doubt that will happen.