Author Topic: Top 4 domination of MS-100 since 2010  (Read 2426 times)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Top 4 domination of MS-100 since 2010
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
Robin Soderling won 2010 Paris Masters. Since:

2011 Djokovic, Djokovic, Nadal, Djokovic, Djokovic, Djokovic, Murray, Murray, Federer
2012 Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer

Djokovic - 6
Federer - 3
Murray - 2
Nadal - 2

So now the slams and masters are completely monopolized by the Big 4.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Top 4 domination of MS-100 since 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:16:34 AM »
well, I'd like to see some new guys getting in, but it's almost impossible ...

Online ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:41:50 AM »
wow !..it looks like the top4 have entered into some kind of agreement to make sure one of them wins masters 1000.. :))
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »
2012 will be rude to Murray. 
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
boring....  :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ)

all 4 of them are great & super & ultra...... but  as much as they are good rest of ATP are equally bad !

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
boring....  :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ)

all 4 of them are great & super & ultra...... but  as much as they are good rest of ATP are equally bad !

Yeah it's like a traveling circus of these 4...

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »
Robin Soderling won 2010 Paris Masters. Since:

2011 Djokovic, Djokovic, Nadal, Djokovic, Djokovic, Djokovic, Murray, Murray, Federer
2012 Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer

Djokovic - 6
Federer - 3
Murray - 2
Nadal - 2

So now the slams and masters are completely monopolized by the Big 4.

It's tough for the field, they have to go through 2 of the top 4 usually and a few others on the way.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »
Maybe they're just more consistent then the Kohlschriebers of the tour.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »
Maybe they're just more consistent then the Kohlschriebers of the tour.

If Murray gets his game going it'll be worse.
And DelPo is showing some confidence finally.

Then the second tier players are pretty good on their day but the gap has become rather large.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 02:22:35 AM »
alk is right, it is boring. regardless of the fact that I support Nole, I would love to see some of these youngsters make a breakthrough... or anybody else but top 4 guys as the matter of fact. It would be so refreshing. everything is so predictable nowadays ... or is it Nole, Roger or Nadal? Murray? yeah.

It really amazes me that the rest of the field is so weak. I watched today the Djokovic vs. Tomic match, and Tomic literally looked like a clown having no clue what he was doing.

DP is certainly capable of winning a master, but has never done it.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:02:17 AM »
I have a different take.  I think it's great the top players are dominating the top tournaments.  I would hate to see it like the WTA was a couple of years ago where you didn't know who was winning what because they had a different winner for just about every tournament.  It was 'confusing' - and this from a tennis fan.  Imagine how the general public thought!

So when you have top players actually winning a lot - it's exciting to me.  When Tiger Woods was dominating in golf, the ratings were sky high whenever he played in a tournament.  Now ask the average golf watcher who is the #1 golfer - they would scratch their heads.

When the top players are not dominating - then people would complain like they did with the WTA; then when they do dominate - some folks still complain :rofl_2:  You know that saying = "You can't please all the people all the time"! ;-()

Online ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
i agree with dallas.

a certain amount of domination is required by the top players to maintain the interest..remember, in the WTA,when caro was no.1, she rarely had any domination during majors & premiers..she got beaten up by players like georges, bartoli..as a top player, i don't expect this from anyone regardless of ATP/WTA..

btw..i didn't see many complains when djokovic & nadal had those 8 amazing finals last year.. :)~

Face it : who would you see in the finals : any two members of the top 4 or something like Chela( rank 37) vs Albert Ramos ( rank 39) ?? ( no offense :innocent: )

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
with all respect to Dallas and Ash, we are talking about masters here, not slams. I just think, it would be nice to see some fresh faces. the top guys are too dominant.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
everything today is done to keep the star players in the hunt as long as possible so that they can sell tickets deep into the tournaments.......

it all started with increasing the seeds from 16 to 32 and eliminating the danger of top players getting exposed to dangerous floaters early on in tournaments.......that was the first step.......then the homogenization to totally widen the gap between good players and great players.......

it's not possible to go back now overnight........the process will take 10 years and i am not sure they are ready for it.......ATP are least bothered as long as they are happy with the revenues.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
with all respect to Dallas and Ash, we are talking about masters here, not slams. I just think, it would be nice to see some fresh faces. the top guys are too dominant.

Even in Masters events... I LOVE IT when we have 1,2,3,4 in the SF... that's the way it should be.  Those players are ranked up there for some reason.... God forbid us if we have master's events with #30 v #62 type players! Heaven forbid the folks who would have tickets for the final too! :rofl_2: No offence to whoever is ranked 30 or 62...but I can guarantee you if I had tickets to a Master's final...give me any of the top 3 (ok...I'll say top 4 for now)... over anyone else.  I'd be really mad if I paid for my ticket to the final and it's between Fognini vs Soeda or something like that. I might have to demand my money back! :rofl_2:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
I think it's fine as long as we have a worthy set of people dominating. I agree with what Dallas said and from a ticket-spending spectator's point  of view, we want to see quality, and if it's quality that dominates, that's how it should be.

That said it'd be great to see a guy like Raonic or similarly talented new names make it deep and make some noise every now and then, but yeah, it should be that the four top ranked players are consistently the best and it should take a great performance by someone ranked low to reach the deep end of a Masters. And we have had just that kinda thing in the past from guys like Isner, Berdych, Tsonga etc. Those are the kinda players who are good enough to make it through every now and then and they are worthy players. If they made it to the deep end more often they'd be part of this "domination" talk and would have been in the top ranking spots. But they're not, and that's why the rankings makes sense.

Now I am not bringing surfaces into play here for obvious reasons because I also agree with what Shank has to say about surface homogenization. But I like saying "ok here's the tournament, we'll probably see Nadal and Djokovic in the final and maybe Federer and Murray can upset one of them in the semis. And hey, here's this dark horse player who's been on a hot-streak, let's see if he can break through and do some damage here!". And that's fine with me. Maybe it won't be if none of the folks dominating have an interesting game but thankfully, I love to watch at least 3 of the 4 top 4 players any day of the week. And I feel like this is by design, for the most part it takes a lot of skill and talent and hard work all combined to put yourself in the domination equation so there's always something to watch and appreciate. That's the reason why we don't have someone like Gasquet or even "exciting young players" like Gulbis dominating anything despite their supposed talent. Because it takes all that and more to be at the top.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:05:57 PM by pawan89 »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »
I think it's fine as long as we have a worthy set of people dominating. I agree with what Dallas said and from a ticket-spending spectator's point  of view, we want to see quality, and if it's quality that dominates, that's how it should be.

That said it'd be great to see a guy like Raonic or similarly talented new names make it deep and make some noise every now and then, but yeah, it should be that the four top ranked players are consistently the best and it should take a great performance by someone ranked low to reach the deep end of a Masters. And we have had just that kinda thing in the past from guys like Isner, Berdych, Tsonga etc. Those are the kinda players who are good enough to make it through every now and then and they are worthy players. If they made it to the deep end more often they'd be part of this "domination" talk and would have been in the top ranking spots. But they're not, and that's why the rankings makes sense.

Now I am not bringing surfaces into play here for obvious reasons because I also agree with what Shank has to say about surface homogenization. But I like saying "ok here's the tournament, we'll probably see Nadal and Djokovic in the final and maybe Federer and Murray can upset one of them in the semis. And hey, here's this dark horse player who's been on a hot-streak, let's see if he can break through and do some damage here!". And that's fine with me. Maybe it won't be if none of the folks dominating have an interesting game but thankfully, I love to watch at least 3 of the 4 top 4 players any day of the week. And I feel like this is by design, for the most part it takes a lot of skill and talent and hard work all combined to put yourself in the domination equation so there's always something to watch and appreciate. That's the reason why we don't have someone like Gasquet or even "exciting young players" like Gulbis dominating anything despite their supposed talent. Because it takes all that and more to be at the top.

Uh... I think everyone has already "sold" Gulbis! :rofl_2: Some how "exciting" and "Gulbis" doesn't even go together in a sentence! :rofl_2:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 07:12:10 AM »
Dallas got it right!!!! :toot: 

I really don't care for 2 man domination,  and one man is 2x worse. 4 is great and 5 would be 2x better. A legit Big 5th would be the wild card. 

That being said, I think the window for the Big 4 has passed. I think we have a Big 3 now and if Murray does squeak into semifinals, it wouldn't add any flavor since we had a Big 4 with these 4 previously.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:50:02 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »
I want to sell Gulbis, but nobody wants to buy him ... not sure what to do ... my stock is worthless  :Confused:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »
I want to sell Gulbis, but nobody wants to buy him ... not sure what to do ... my stock is worthless  :Confused:

Gulbis is at a crossroads, he knows it.
He's no longer 'young', but he still has some tremendous talent.