Instructional Tennis > Instructional Tennis

volley problems

(1/2) > >>

thejackal:
I've started playing 18 and under tournaments.  I'm in a club and its an inter city Davis cup type format where you play both singles and doubles.  Anyway I've been rushing the net a lot lately, 80% of the time when I get a short ball and have blown  some easy volleys where I try to hit a forhand volley "inside-out" - toward my opponents backhand side.  I frame it and it doesn't go over the net.  It seems to be the worst part of my net game excpet my sh!tty overheads.  Any help?

wilsonboy:
I had that same problem myself. My instructor told me that the reason it kept going into the net was because I was pushing the ball forward too much. He said that I should put a lot of spin on the ball. In other words, instead of following through forwards, you should follow through upwards with a lot of spin. But don't use too much force or else you will send it sailing in the sky.

thejackal:
Upwards?  What?  Doesn't make sense.  You should be trying to impart slice on volleys.

wilsonboy:

--- Quote from: "thejackal" ---Upwards?  What?  Doesn't make sense.  You should be trying to impart slice on volleys.
--- End quote ---

I was talking about hitting topspin winners. I know it's confusing. Just look at how Venus Williams does hers.

Tennis4you:
Make sure you are split stepping to get your balance and movement in the right direction.  Nad keep you eyes on the ball.

Check out the volley articles here:

http://www.tennis4you.com/lesson-lounge/divisions/volleys.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version