Author Topic: Sampras: I see no decline with Federer  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Imsda

• Tennis Player
Re: Sampras: I see no decline with Federer
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »
I think I would have to agree with what he says. He knows more

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Sampras: I see no decline with Federer
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
According to the players, Roger is a lot of fun and jokes in the locker room. They say he speaks to everyone, remembers everyone's name, talks to everyone - even right before a match. Whereas they said Pete didn't talk to anyone in the locker room - that he barely even acknowledged your presence there. That's what I was going by when I said Roger was more outgoing (not meaning the party stuff). The players said they really like Roger because he's "nice" in spite of who he is. That's what I was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 05:02:14 PM »
Fed seems to be more socialable than Sampras ever thought of being.
I think that translates into being more comfortable with life on tour.
For Pete it was more of a grind, for Rog it's just a part of the life he's chosen and he not only accepts it, he embraces it.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »
For Pete it was more of a grind, for Rog it's just a part of the life he's chosen and he not only accepts it, he embraces it.

I agree and have even heard Pete say the same thing.  They asked him if he could go back and change one thing what would it be?  He said something like he would try to 'enjoy it more'.  He said the traveling, the tour, everything...was a grind to him and he really didn't like it.  Roger has said he loves traveling and the whole thing. That attitude may lengthen his career (if he stay away from injuries).

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »

I agree and have even heard Pete say the same thing.  They asked him if he could go back and change one thing what would it be?  He said something like he would try to 'enjoy it more'.  He said the traveling, the tour, everything...was a grind to him and he really didn't like it.  Roger has said he loves traveling and the whole thing. That attitude may lengthen his career (if he stay away from injuries).

That's something interesting, enjoying the other tennis players reduces the stress.
Having some bad feelings only drains the energy.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 01:13:01 AM »
i don't think pete was not enjoying his time on the tour.......different people enjoy time differently.......

i think he made that comment in a sense that he probably did not get as much recognition as he seemingly now wants to have had.......i wonder whether he realizes that he was actually quite famous for his time.......

it was a different time, less electronic media and internet was almost nonexistent ........the sport was not so commercial.......and hence the ITF and ATP din't caress him or agassi like they do with federer and nadal.......

i think he was pretty content and satisfied with his 14 years of career by the time he retired.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 05:04:49 AM »
I think he certainly enjoyed the results of his commitment and continues to enjoy the fruits of his labor/sacrifices.  I think the point being made is that he wasn't a metro-sexual like Rogi who enjoys flitting about the globe and taking it all in.  Fed seems more open to the total experience where as Pete seemed to be more single-minded about it.  Both have achieved amazing results using the approach best suited for their character.

Interesting point about the lack of recognition Shankman.
Despite hooking up with The A Train (Agassi) for a few TV ads, the media, and I think tennis fans in general never gave Pete the respect he deserved (and perhaps craved).  Imagine being Sampras and seeing all the attention lavished on a young Agassi!!!  I'm sure that would stick in my craw for a long time.  Perhaps that helped to motivate Sampras to dominate Aggassi in their rivalry?  To this day, Pete still gets short shrift from media and tennis fans alike.  How many times have you heard someone say something like 'yeah, Sampras was good, but all he did was serve and volley and it was easy for him'.  This usually coming from some fellow hacker who randomly sprays serves inconsistently around the box and only goes to the net for the coin toss and handshake.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
yes, agassi was a flashy personality while pete was a formal businessman.......pete's personality doesn't normally appeal to the masses.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
yes, agassi was a flashy personality while pete was a formal businessman.......pete's personality doesn't normally appeal to the masses.......

Agassi had to change his image (a lot of folks didn't like him in his 'younger' days).  But between the 2 of them.... Pete was ALWAYS my man.  I was never really in Agassi's camp.

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2012, 04:58:05 PM »
To this day, Pete still gets short shrift from media

level of discarding Pete its undeliverable: he won  7W & 5 UO & 1AO  vs Nadals 2W 1UO & 1AO    [no need for RG since Nadal is the best clay court player ever..........Björn Borg anyone.   :confused1: ...]
and now along side Fed and Nadal being called the best ever they start to put djoper there too..... crazy  :rofl_2:

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »
In my opinion, Federer became more wiser with his game. But, his shot making ability is definitely not what it used to be. Also, his movement used to be much more brilliant and forehand had more zip.
Also, It used to be much more difficult to beat him in a 5 set match. He looks much more vulnerable now.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
In my opinion, Federer became more wiser with his game. But, his shot making ability is definitely not what it used to be. Also, his movement used to be much more brilliant and forehand had more zip.
Also, It used to be much more difficult to beat him in a 5 set match. He looks much more vulnerable now.

True, he never got down hardly, he also had a full head of steam throughout whole matches whether it went 2 or 5 sets.
He goes away at times now and gets into trouble if his game doesn't come back to high levels.

He was much tougher mentally in this way.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »
Federer has become so much better at managing his emotions in these tough matches. He was literally 2 points away today from being down 2 sets to love and yet he held his nerve like the battle-tested champion he is.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Sampras: I see no decline with Federer
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
That's what his opponent said about Roger too! He said he had a "poker face" even when he was down a set which, he said, amazed him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »
You can never tell on his face if he's winning or losing - sort of like Pete.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »

And I always think that is the singlemost important and impressive quality that a champion can possess...sort of like Borg as well.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »

And I always think that is the singlemost important and impressive quality that a champion can possess...sort of like Borg as well.
Fed is great that way ... I really don't like to see players showing too much emotions on the court ... I hated a young Djoko, but he changed ... now, when it comes to Borg, OMG ... I have never seen a guy who was so composed, zero emotions, like nothing, poker face ... someone on MTF said that Borg was able to keep even crazy JMac calm  :rofl_2:... to me Borg is THE KING OF COOL  :king:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
watching borg's matches, it looked like borg did not know whether he was winning or losing the match........he was just playing point after point.......

however he once showed protest against some line call in a match against johnny mac and the official penalized him a full game.......

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
You can't blame the official for penalizing Borg for a game, heck, Borg had all his emotions of his entire career spilled out at the lines men!!  :rofl_2:  Can you imagine unloading 7 years of emotion restraining in a period of 1 minute??  :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:53:33 AM by mav140 »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
You can't blame the official for penalizing Borg for a game, heck, Borg had all his emotions of his entire career spilled out at the lines men!!  :rofl_2:  Can you imagine unloading 7 years of emotion restraining in a period of 1 minute??  :rofl_2:

even in that one minute, he just stood there staring at the umpire.......hardly uttered a word.......he is ridiculously cool.......