Author Topic: Tips for playing on slow hardcourts?  (Read 576 times)

Offline fedhingis067

• Tennis Addict
Tips for playing on slow hardcourts?
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
Close to where I live there are two tennis courts. One of them is a fast hardcourt. Whenever I play there I feel my footwork, my ground-strokes, my serve, my spacial recognition, pretty much everything comes natural to me. I love playing there. Even when I lose I don't take too hard because I feel at home. The one downside is that it's located close to a pretty bad neighborhood.

The other is a slow hardcourt. Excuse my french, but I HATE THESE COURTS WITH THE FIRE A THOUSAND SUNS! Everything is SO SLOW. All my shots lose their sting and the bounce is ridiculously weird. It either bounces too high or barely bounces. It's hardly ever in my strike zone. Are all slow hardcourts like this? All this extra time on the ball just screws up my timing and everything falls apart. It's also a mental issue for me obviously cause as soon as I step on court I feel out of place. Even if I'm winning I don't feel as confident and I let these frustrations get to me and almost always choke away huge leads. Every point is a huge inner struggle. All this extra time on the ball just screws up my timing and everything falls apart.

Are there any key pointers I should know when playing on slow hardcourts? Thanks!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Tips for playing on slow hardcourts?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »
Does the bounce vary according to your opponents pace, spin, and trajectory?

Sounds like you've identified 2 of the challenges presented to you by playing on this court-  how to get the ball in your strike zone and improving your confidence on this court.  Solving the first riddle may well take care of the confidence issue.

Do you practice on this court at all?
A great way to build confidence in a stroke or part of your game is through practice.

Have you varied your North/South (front to back)position on the court?  Moving either way may help bring the ball into your strike zone.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress!
CONK da ball!!!