Author Topic: Roddick : What Does the Future Hold For Him Now?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Roddick : What Does the Future Hold For Him Now?
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
Roddick didn't seem to get the right formula.

So many times getting passed because he went to the net at the wrong time, I can still see him standing there with his head down.

Not much future left for him it seems.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
all valid points there but what other dynamics are at work with roddick?

he was in the top 10 for so long. what happened? he is #27 now and falling like a rock.

did the field improve that much?

or did he really fail to improve and keep up?

are being filthy rich , having a very rich and famous wife, and having lifetime endorsement income a part and parcel of his decline?

how much is it the lack of sufficient game and how much is it the complacency factor?

discuss.

Strikes me that it was a product of the ranking system as much as anything.
Andy stayed in the top ten by playing lots of matches; beating the hell out of the less experienced kids with his monster serve until he got to the quarters and then took his chances with the big boys. Always somewhat of a bully to those he considered beneath him. It was never a fun game to watch. Now, all that wear and tear is catching up and he finds real competition in the early rounds of the few tournaments he plays in.  It's just a matter of numbers now!   

The forehand was what got him to the top (see those old 2003 matches) but it isn't there much any more.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
I'm not so sure about the lack of motivation.
He's always come across as a very hard worker.
Surely the thought of playing the top flight players of today and continually getting thrashed is almost as unpleasant as losing in the early rounds to weaker players.  The sting of losing coupled with the drop in rankings must be extremely painful to a former champ.

Would love to see him stick around, but I'm not sure how long he can take the pain.  At least Euroka will be happy if Andy (not Murray) retires! :rofl_2:

don't think euroka is happy with a player going away.
I have never been a fan of Andy for this reason, Dallas talks always about 2003 the year of the young guns, Federer, Roddick, Ferrero, Hewitt. Ferrero and Hewitt had the bad luck of so many injuries, Roddick has been injury-free.
the thing about working hard of Roddick, i disagree,
in fact that's the reason of his lack of success, he didn't develop for years what he brought to win the uso in 2003, in fact he didn't try to improve his game thinking he had enough to win the big titles, when he realised he had to finally adjust and improve his game it was way too late. he should have taken clay more seriously and try to improve his overall game but I am talking about 2007-2009, he realised he had to improve when it was sooooo late. sad. 
on the other hand, i find that he is one of the few players with some interesting comments and views and think he is charismatic. I am not sure about his future, Ferrero and Hewitt have no problems, no egos to play and compete as former world number 1 and major champs and just look like great veterans, simply as this, hope with Andy is the same.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 10:57:32 PM »
he needs to relish the challenge to see if he can make it to the top 10 again.

and then go invent ways to bring it about.

it is also time for a new coach.

larry stefanky cant do anything for roddick.

now if roddick is not hungry enough then nobody can help him.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 07:37:01 AM »
Despite all the b**ching about his on-court antics at times, Andy's been great for the tour as a personality and has always been a great interview. He's already parlayed that into a nationally syndicated radio show.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/tvblog/entries/2011/12/09/bobby_bones_andy_roddick_team_up_for_new_radio_show.html

Looks to me like his future is bright.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
Not always the classiest guy on court, but always honest and surprisingly clever off court.

I don't hold much hope for him making any changes that will improve his tennis in the coming months.  We'll see how much longer he's willing to take a thrashing from what he must perceive as 'lesser players'.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 01:20:19 PM »
I always kinda liked him, mehhh he'll be just fine ...
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »
lets see if he can snatch the title in eastbourne.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 01:14:30 AM »
Could become a family man - especially with Brookyn wanting to have children.   After that; the Champions Tour or a commentator????

Offline no_1_djoko_fan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »
Not a bad grass court player but never quite good enough to make a huge impact in this era. He struck me as someone who could serve a tennis ball with speed, although not necessarily with accuracy and the rest of his game was average at best. Likeable but hardly a great
"Sometimes it feels like you're not on a tennis court, the amount of noise you guys produce and for us it's a great feeling. It's a pleasure playing in front of you. It's my great privilege to be standing here in front of one of the greatest players ever, Rod Laver. "

Offline Imsda

• Tennis Player
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 02:10:51 AM »
He was one of my favoutrite players, I hated it when he always lost to Rodger :( He is still a very good player and the king of aces :P

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 02:19:03 AM »
He was one of my favoutrite players, I hated it when he always lost to Rodger :( He is still a very good player and the king of aces :P
Andy tried too hard. too many changes in his game, he lost his FH somehow ... too many things went wrong

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 06:59:51 AM »
I wouldn't call him one of 'The Greats' though I believe he was an excellent top 10 player for quite awhile.

I think his serve is both fast and can be accurate when he slows it down (120 mph!!!) a bit.

His FH may have gone the way of his "Mojo"? :confused1:
Remember that ad campaign during U.S. Open a few years back-
Andy Roddick's Mojo - Redemption
CONK da ball!!!