Author Topic: Guess who is the highest paid Tennis Player?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Guess who is the highest paid Tennis Player?
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mayweather-jr-tops-forbes-list-221450871--spt.html;_ylt=Avi2UP911pSJSgTtGOyRnWZDubYF

The world's highest-paid athlete is in jail. The guy in second place just lost a title fight, and the man who held the distinction for a decade is now third.

Forbes has released its list of the 100 highest paid athletes, and boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr., nicknamed ''Money,'' is No. 1.

Mayweather, who made $85 million for two fights last year, is currently serving a three-month jail sentence in Las Vegas for domestic battery.

Boxer Manny Pacquiao is second on the magazine's list at $62 million from earnings and endorsements. Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight title to Timothy Bradley earlier this month.

Tiger Woods, No. 1 on the list since 2001, made $59.4 million to place third.

LeBron James of the Miami Heat is fourth ($53 million). He is one of 13 basketball players on the list.

Tennis star Roger Federer is fifth at $52.7 million.

Thirty football players made the top 100, with Peyton Manning tops among them at No. 10. The Denver Broncos' new quarterback made $42.4 million during his last season with the Indianapolis Colts, even though he sat out the entire season while recovering from a neck injury.

David Beckham of the Los Angeles Galaxy was No. 8 overall and the highest ranked soccer player at $46 million.

New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was tops among baseball players and No. 18 overall with $33 million.

Two women, both tennis players, made the list. Maria Sharapova ($27.9 million) comes in at No. 26, and Li Na ($18.4 million).

Offline Imsda

• Tennis Player
Re: Guess who is the highest paid Tennis Player?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:44:57 AM »
I was expecting it to be roger!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
both Djokovic and Nadal are on that list btw.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
My guess was Sharapova. What's most shocking is the world's highest paid soccer player plays for an American club!

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
[

where are they listed?  I haven't looked at the full list.  Glad to see 'the old man' Federer still pulling his worth! :innocent: :rofl_2:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »
i don't buy these ratings and payments.......they are flawed.......tiger woods barely moves his arse and gets paid 60 million dollars for it.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
[

where are they listed?  I haven't looked at the full list.  Glad to see 'the old man' Federer still pulling his worth! :innocent: :rofl_2:
Nole is listed at #61, Nadal (just can't remember) around 40. and I do agree with Shank. how do they know who makes what? they are just guessing. the problem with tennis is, yes they can find out easily about prize money, but endorsement money is another story. We all know that Djoker, Nadal and Roger make more money from sponsors than winning tournaments. when I say more I mean significantly more.

I, personally, couldn't care less how much money the make. they are all rich. good for them. as I said before, they don't pay my bills.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »
i suspect fed runs the church dallas visits every sunday.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

It's easy to find out what they make...they go to the source.  Nike has a list; the other 'sponsors' have list of what they pay these athletes.  I'm just glad to see some tennis players on the list.  They work hard at what they do (unlike some other professional players who can sign for millions of dollars, may get hurt for one year, and still get paid because they signed a guarantee contract).  Tennis players have to earn what they make on court - so whatever they can make off court is great  with me.  The more the better!  I think the reason Roger gets more is (1) He's been around longer than Novak or Rafa; (2) He speaks better English than Rafa - hence, more commercials. (3) Overall, he is more well known (especially in the American viewership) than the other 2.  But it's good to see Roger, Rafa, Novak, Maria, all of them in the list.  Good for tennis players!!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:09:50 AM »
lolz shank ...  :rofl_2: that's too good.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »

It's easy to find out what they make...they go to the source.  Nike has a list; the other 'sponsors' have list of what they pay these athletes.  I'm just glad to see some tennis players on the list.  They work hard at what they do (unlike some other professional players who can sign for millions of dollars, may get hurt for one year, and still get paid because they signed a guarantee contract).  Tennis players have to earn what they make on court - so whatever they can make off court is great  with me.  The more the better!  I think the reason Roger gets more is (1) He's been around longer than Novak or Rafa; (2) He speaks better English than Rafa - hence, more commercials. (3) Overall, he is more well known (especially in the American viewership) than the other 2.  But it's good to see Roger, Rafa, Novak, Maria, all of them in the list.  Good for tennis players!!!!

i haven't seen fed 'speak' in any of his commercials........i am not sure language would be a barrier for someone as big as nadal.......acting in commercials is a personal choice and there would be 1000s of brands in queue should he express his willingness.......

rafa seems to be equally popular in US and asia along with fed.......djokovic is still a level below them as far as global popularity is concerned........fed is more popular in france, sweden and switzerland of course........nadal is more popular in latin american countries, spain and few european countries........

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »

i haven't seen fed 'speak' in any of his commercials........i am not sure language would be a barrier for someone as big as nadal.......acting in commercials is a personal choice and there would be 1000s of brands in queue should he express his willingness.......

rafa seems to be equally popular in US and asia along with fed.......djokovic is still a level below them as far as global popularity is concerned........fed is more popular in france, sweden and switzerland of course........nadal is more popular in latin american countries, spain and few european countries........

He speaks a little in the chocolate thread (with him going through the airport)