Author Topic: 2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012  (Read 18553 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: 2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012
« Reply #640 on: July 08, 2012, 02:37:16 PM »
Whats Alex's business to be sad ? I guess the tides should have ebbed for him. I think Djokovic is slowly reverting back to his old self (no offense meant) because matches lost this year like those against Rafa and Fed are just indications that his motivations are not as last year. This only strengthens Roger and Rafa's name as true champions (no offense meant).
I'm sad because I expected my fav. player to defend his title. I'm sad because I expected my second fav. player to win his first slam. I'm just being honest, that's how I feel. Med, are you telling me that Djokovic is not a true champion  :confused1:? not sure what you are talking about to be honest with you.

Offline BasicDirectX

• Tennis Player
« Reply #641 on: July 08, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »
i forgot to congratulate Dallas :rofl_2:
you gotta be the happiest person tonight!! :thumbs-up:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #642 on: July 08, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »
Goodbye Alex & Sid.
aren't you gonna miss me/us you little biotch  :rofl_2:.

You better not go anywhere Alex! :head-bash: :head-bash: :head-bash: With the year we had to put up with last year when Nole won EVERYTHING....heck, I'm just glad Roger was able to get ONE slam this year. It is a "plus" that he'll get the #1 ranking back too.
I'm not going anywhere. I was just j/k. I put up with Nole when he was winning nothing, when he couldn't serve and when everyone was writing him off.
Oh, one more thing, am I the only one who doesn't really care about Olympics. sure, I'll be watching, but I just couldn't care less  :\.

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #643 on: July 08, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
Whats Alex's business to be sad ? I guess the tides should have ebbed for him. I think Djokovic is slowly reverting back to his old self (no offense meant) because matches lost this year like those against Rafa and Fed are just indications that his motivations are not as last year. This only strengthens Roger and Rafa's name as true champions (no offense meant).
I'm sad because I expected my fav. player to defend his title. I'm sad because I expected my second fav. player to win his first slam. I'm just being honest, that's how I feel. Med, are you telling me that Djokovic is not a true champion  :confused1:? not sure what you are talking about to be honest with you.

do not worry Alex there is a lot of time & titles for djoper & Andy in next few years...    for Fed time is running out, so winning today was a good thing
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:52:37 PM by alk11 »

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #644 on: July 08, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
i feel so happy for Fed & so sad about Andy........ i've almost cried  during Andy's speech

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #645 on: July 08, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »
What I meant, Alex is to say we are not seeing the Djokovic we thought is going to have his own dominating era. You might think I'm kidding but really last year I was really happy to see him regularly beating everybody in his way, even though I am a Fed fan. After all the FED-NAD dominance to see someone take it to these guys is surprising and intriguing rather than shocking.
And remember when we said last year to cement his position as the man who dethroned the Kings he needs to do it again and show that it is not an aberration. I really wish him luck given that Fed is dancing his last tangos.
The world awaits no genius

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #646 on: July 08, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »

That being said, I've never liked indoor tennis, don't even like playing indoors because serving is a joke. Bombs away!

Trust me, you could not handle my serve either way.  I would rather see big serves then big kickers that are produced outside on the grittier courts, so send me that big flat serve please!

I am sure Fed will put a little sticker on the inside of his trophy with a note that says "I was lucky they shut the roof".
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline mtt

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #647 on: July 08, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
Adding roofs was smth we couldn't make any different. But calling it a cheat that they shut the roof down so Fed can win is nonsense,

Of course it's cheating !
At the most prestigious tennis tournament ( on british soil ), one player ( a brit ) is in a bit of trouble, so the tournament referee ( a brit ) decides to close the roof, to make sure the other guy ( a swiss ) wins...

Makes all the sense in the world.....

I am sure Fed will put a little sticker on the inside of his trophy with a note that says "I was lucky they shut the roof".
Of course, just as he as a little sticker in his RG trophy saying : "Doesn't really count, because Rafa was not there... "

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:11:42 PM by mtt »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #648 on: July 08, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »

That being said, I've never liked indoor tennis, don't even like playing indoors because serving is a joke. Bombs away!

Trust me, you could not handle my serve either way.  I would rather see big serves then big kickers that are produced outside on the grittier courts, so send me that big flat serve please!

But for me, hitting a big flat serve, I just hit harder and harder. Everything goes in. It comes way too easily. I feel like Serena, every serve will be an ace. Go outside, completely different.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #649 on: July 08, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »
We still had lots of sore loser here who surprisingly not Andy Murray fans. They are other player fans who just did not want Fed to win. And now using the roof as an excuse. Please. Roger had win other 16 GS titles without any roof help. Enough said.  :D

Fed can win under any conditions, whether it's a roof or blue clay....

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #650 on: July 08, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »
felt for Andy today, even though it's great to see fed winning his 17th, blimey he's catching Navratilova Evert up, leaving the rest of the guys behind.
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #651 on: July 08, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
Excellent win by Federer. Murray played incredibly well for set and half and once he lost the second set, Fed played much better.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #652 on: July 08, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »

But for me, hitting a big flat serve, I just hit harder and harder. Everything goes in. It comes way too easily. I feel like Serena, every serve will be an ace. Go outside, completely different.

Hit harder and harder, that works better for me, I like hard hit stuff.  :)
Scott Baker

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #653 on: July 08, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »

Hit harder and harder, that works better for me, I like hard hit stuff.  :)

So does my playing partner. So I have a new slice that's IMPOSSIBLE!!! to return. My partner's a lefty, so it just runs away from him.  :)

Haven't used it on a righty. Won't be as effective, but will still be nasty.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012
« Reply #654 on: July 08, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
i forgot to congratulate Dallas :rofl_2:
you gotta be the happiest person tonight!! :thumbs-up:

Thanks! Am I am!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline no_1_djoko_fan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #655 on: July 08, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »
Murray produced a performance of enormous grit and determination, showcasing his stunning return game and athleticism, but he let himself down on the second serve, which Federer duly destroyed. The Scot didn't do much wrong, but Federer's elegance and classy style was too much for him. It's incredible how he can still beat top players such as Djokovic, Nadal and Murray at 30, not many players have done it, nor have they with his Grand Slam record, although I think it's a bit early to call himself the best player.
Let's see how many Nadal and Djokovic can win first. They along with Murray are better athletes and returners than Federer has ever been. I can't see Federer lasting in the number one position, as realistically he isn't going to win on a hard court or clay, surfaces that are both slower and one in which Nadal dominates. He can't go on like this for ever. Murray on the other hand still needs to improve on his second serve and forehand if he is serious about winning a major, there's no doubting the talent is there.
"Sometimes it feels like you're not on a tennis court, the amount of noise you guys produce and for us it's a great feeling. It's a pleasure playing in front of you. It's my great privilege to be standing here in front of one of the greatest players ever, Rod Laver. "

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #656 on: July 08, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
Murray produced a performance of enormous grit and determination, showcasing his stunning return game and athleticism, but he let himself down on the second serve, which Federer duly destroyed. The Scot didn't do much wrong, but Federer's elegance and classy style was too much for him. It's incredible how he can still beat top players such as Djokovic, Nadal and Murray at 30, not many players have done it, nor have they with his Grand Slam record, although I think it's a bit early to call himself the best player.
Let's see how many Nadal and Djokovic can win first. They along with Murray are better athletes and returners than Federer has ever been. I can't see Federer lasting in the number one position, as realistically he isn't going to win on a hard court or clay, surfaces that are both slower and one in which Nadal dominates. He can't go on like this for ever. Murray on the other hand still needs to improve on his second serve and forehand if he is serious about winning a major, there's no doubting the talent is there.

I think Fed will lose the loose grip he has on #1 pretty quickly.  But more importantly he will never lose the grip on #17.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #657 on: July 08, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
congratulations to Federer and all his fans!! historic achievements!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #658 on: July 08, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »

I think Fed will lose the loose grip he has on #1 pretty quickly.  But more importantly he will never lose the grip on #17.  :)

I don't think anyone believes that Roger is certain to hold on to the number one ranking for a long time. It all depends on how he performs in the tournaments now on. He has the least number of points to defend, so he has a great chance of retaining it at least until the US open. Let's see what happens, but he will have the ranking for the next three weeks, which is enough to ride past Pete's record. For a Federer fan, I think that matters the most at the moment.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #659 on: July 08, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
Hi guys,

I am not here all the time as you know so just stopping by for a brief moment.

First off, congrats to Federer on his 17th. He did have a very nice and soft draw to make the final and Nole not being his own self since the AO, it did open up the path for him all the way to the final. Andy, on the other hand, had to deal with a very tough draw which got tougher and tougher with each round. Karlovic, Ferrer and Tsogna were especially tough. I really think that at this age and stage, if Federer were given a similar draw, he would have found himself in a world of trouble. Still, he was only two points away (3 times) from a defeat to Benneteau, lucky for him, Benneteau didn't have much left him in the fifth set and after that match, one could easily tell that Federer escaped big time and avoided a defeat like Nadal in the 2nd round.

As to final today, Andy had all the momentum going on until the roof came on. He was serving out of his mind in the 1st and 2nd set, but it dropped significantly as soon as the roof came on and after that long game in the 3rd set, where he eventually got broken, he was never the same again. And the fact that he had to start the first three sets 2nd, didn't really help his case when it mattered the most. He really needed a bit of luck there. Anyway, because I pay a lot of attention to Andy, I knew that his confidence level was shaken in the 3rd set and he was getting tighter and tighter with each game and by the time, 4th set rolled around, it was all gone. The roof has its benefits as well as its downsides but there's not much you can do about it, unfortunately. 

Am extremely gutted after the loss needless to say as I picked Andy in 4 but the luck was always on Federer's side from the get go. The easy scheduling, the soft draw and always having to play first and be done with his match before any other player, I am sure it helps. But all things considered, it was going to be really tough for Andy anyway. To play one competitive match after another given his draw can take a lot out of you. It was already extremely overwhelming for him to be in the final, as he became the first player to make it after 74 years. At the same time though, I feel, Andy's time just around the corner. Or hope so. He made me very proud these past two weeks. If Andy had won a Slam already, then we would have probably seen a different result today who knows, but he has such a tough luck all around that, unlike the top three players, none of his opponents in the finals were either novice or a first timer. They are all either multiple Slam winners or at least won 1 Slam prior. 
You are everything I am not.