Author Topic: 2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012  (Read 21422 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: 2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012
« Reply #660 on: July 08, 2012, 06:57:05 PM »
Murray produced a performance of enormous grit and determination, showcasing his stunning return game and athleticism, but he let himself down on the second serve, which Federer duly destroyed. The Scot didn't do much wrong, but Federer's elegance and classy style was too much for him. It's incredible how he can still beat top players such as Djokovic, Nadal and Murray at 30, not many players have done it, nor have they with his Grand Slam record, although I think it's a bit early to call himself the best player.
Let's see how many Nadal and Djokovic can win first. They along with Murray are better athletes and returners than Federer has ever been. I can't see Federer lasting in the number one position, as realistically he isn't going to win on a hard court or clay, surfaces that are both slower and one in which Nadal dominates. He can't go on like this for ever. Murray on the other hand still needs to improve on his second serve and forehand if he is serious about winning a major, there's no doubting the talent is there.

I think Fed will lose the loose grip he has on #1 pretty quickly.  But more importantly he will never lose the grip on #17.  :)

Djokovic has 3600 points to defend during the N.American hard court season (Toronto, Cincy, USO) versus Fed's 990 points.

Fed could lose #1 during the olympics but with Djokovic having so much to defend and the way Fed's playing then Fed will probably get it back if he does lose it.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:57:54 PM by swish »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012
« Reply #661 on: July 08, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »
First, it's good to see some of our posters back, but I think I have never seen so many excuses as to why a player lost (Murray - roof, schedule, officials, rain, footing, etc.) and so many excuses why Roger won (soft schedule, Nadal out, Nole not playing well, roof closed, officials cheating, etc.)

The bottom line is that 128 men started the tournament and the only 2 standing in the end were Roger and Andy. I do believe they both were on the same court today, at the same time, and played each other? Winner take all. Did I miss something?

I think those fans who are making all types of excuses why Andy loss or why Roger won is discrediting both players and their fans.

Roger won. Accept it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #662 on: July 08, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
We still had lots of sore loser here who surprisingly not Andy Murray fans. They are other player fans who just did not want Fed to win. And now using the roof as an excuse. Please. Roger had win other 16 GS titles without any roof help. Enough said.  :D

Fed can win under any conditions, whether it's a roof or blue clay....
Indeed, He truly is master of all surfaces. Probably would've won in the rain as well.  :))

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #663 on: July 08, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »
Djokovic has 3600 points to defend during the N.American hard court season (Toronto, Cincy, USO) versus Fed's 990 points.

Fed could lose #1 during the olympics but with Djokovic having so much to defend and the way Fed's playing then Fed will probably get it back if he does lose it.

Exactly, I see the #1 going back and forth between Roger & Novak for some time.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #664 on: July 08, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »

Exactly, I see the #1 going back and forth between Roger & Novak for some time.

I know Rafa made it to the US Open final, but how did he do in the tournaments leading up to the US Open? Any one remember?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #665 on: July 08, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »
First, it's good to see some of our posters back, but I think I have never seen so many excuses as to why a player lost (Murray - roof, schedule, officials, rain, footing, etc.) and so many excuses why Roger won (soft schedule, Nadal out, Nole not playing well, roof closed, officials cheating, etc.)

The bottom line is that 128 men started the tournament and the only 2 standing in the end were Roger and Andy. I do believe they both were on the same court today, at the same time, and played each other? Winner take all. Did I miss something?

I think those fans who are making all types of excuses why Andy loss or why Roger won is discrediting both players and their fans.

Roger won. Accept it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, it's great to see some posters back.

you could not have say it better about all the blah-blah-blah about excuses, let's remove the roof, some top players did not compete as some expected while others did very well.
there was not a h2h beetween roger and nole on grass, and the chanel slam, we have to wait more almost 3 decades to see it again, Borg did it 3 times, Nadal twice, is not easy to win RG-Wimby in same season.
"Roger won, accept it and move on", congrats to Roger, the title is not a surprise at all, the 2 other top players had started the season very early, in the meantime it's not like Federer was falling under the radar and was outside the top 5, he was waiting,  the season of Roger really started at Wimby and he did it in historic fashion.

this is the first time I don't feel sad about Wimby coming to an end, tennis will be back so soon for the olympics, can not wait.

had to fight back tears when Marray/Nielsen won the doubles title, great and wonderful story!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:54:33 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #666 on: July 08, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »
I just realized Andy has given Federer 3 Slams since 2008 and that's 3 out of 5 Slams Federer has won since then. Nole none because they have yet to play in a GS final and Nadal none as well. He's won all his GS meetings vs Federer since 2008. The other two culprits are Roddick and Soderling.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #667 on: July 08, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
I just realized Andy has given Federer 3 Slams since 2008 and that's 3 out of 5 Slams Federer has won since then. Nole none because they have yet to play in a GS final and Nadal none as well. He's won all his GS meetings vs Federer since 2008. The other two culprits are Roddick and Soderling.

I felt bad for Murray.

After the first set I realized that if Murray does win it wouldn't be too bad of an outcome.
He's worked very hard and now has raised his level, that performance against Djokovic at the AO showed a very determined Murray. Today he again played well but came up short.

I'd like to see him take the USO or Fed/Potro, there's not one player who would say he doesn't deserve at least one slam at the level he's playing.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #668 on: July 08, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »
Congrats to Roger!  He played very well to win Nole and then Andy back to back!  He turning 31 too!  17 GS and counting.  Won the Olympic's Gold Medal in Doubles.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #669 on: July 09, 2012, 01:17:07 AM »
For me It is hard to believe that some grown up people can produce so much nonsense.

Roof, draw, Nadal.  Bla bla bla. Not one comes with reasonable arguments or simply facts.

I think some people need to see the bigger picture. Since the USO11, Federer has been racking up titles & points, beating the top players, and playing very high level tennis. Completing this run of form with a Wimbledon victory really fits.

So its not the stupid roof, the cake walk draw, or Rafa losing to multiple GS champion Rosol; it is playing high level tennis consistenly and continuously over an extended period of time imo.

Doing so with the likes of Djokovic 2.0, Nadal, and Murray also in competition is just plain awsome. Hence, for me this period USO11-WB12 (and continuing) marks on the of most impressive chapters of Federer's carreer.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #670 on: July 09, 2012, 02:45:17 AM »
I can just say it's hilarious how every NON-Fed fan are coming AGAIN with excuses for his triumph... Really childish in my opinion... But hey, to each his own... I just find it funny.. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and they can certainly have one, the fact of the matter is: Fed has won 7 Wimbledon titles, and now all the "news" from this "people" is he couldn't have won with an open roof?? LOL... He has done it 6 other times and 2 of them vs. Nadal.. Talk about coming up with excuses and so forth...

Since 2008 Fed has won 5 majors without having to beat Djokovic and Nadal on the finals? As I remember, Fed did have to beat Djokovic in the SFs in 2008... but I am not going to get into this debate since it's just childish and sore loser-ish...

So, either way, you are a MINORITY, and all will regard Federer as a great champion without having to resort to lame excuses.. so, joke is on you, try to convince everybody that Fed is a "joke" and Nadal and Djokovic suddenly are the king of tennis.. LMFAO... As Andy Murray said in his post-interview on court, Old 30 year old Federer is still capable of amazing stuff..

And at his 30 he has been able to maintain himself in the top 3 and has beaten the younger top ranking players... That's got to hurt... Probably that is why all these people are all grumpy and sore losers...

Anyway, as I said... To each his own... Fed's sitting at home glazing at his BRAND NEW TROPHY, celebrating with his wife and twin baby girls and just extremely happy with his career, Fed fans are in 7th heaven right now and are just celebrating his 7th. Wimbledon Crown, his return to the no. 1 spot, his record breaking week at the top spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS FED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are THE CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #671 on: July 09, 2012, 07:41:13 AM »

wow
you just outdid yourself, after that brain-dead remark about Fed's soft draw you came up even more stupidity this time!

2 the best players in every tournament end up in final that is the fact !
where was Nadal in all those "easy finals since 2008" ?  he wasn't in them ... i can tell you that much

easy draw ?

yes it was easy , but what you expect when in this (weak) era of tennis somebody like Nadal can win 1 (one) UO, 1 (one) AO & 2 (two) W in 6 six year period ?

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #672 on: July 09, 2012, 08:42:54 AM »
little more about "soft draw":

2nd round "soft draw"
Djokovic vs no 48
Federer vs no 63
Murray vs no 56
Nadal vs no 103....... wait Nadal was blown away, that means this Wimbledon does not count, to bad nobody told them and if they did tell them i'm sure that Wimbledon would be cut short(very short) this year!

little more about "given GS finals":
Djokovic won 3 GS in row ( W,UO & AO ), but those are not real titles because beating senseless your punching bag final ,after final,after final into oblivion :rofl_2:  is not that great  achievement :gleam:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:45:41 AM by alk11 »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #673 on: July 09, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
if at all this wimbledon proved anything, it's simply these two things:

1. to all those excuse makers bulls**tting the prime, non prime garbage, this win is like a backfire at their absolutely pathetic excuse making and discrediting nadal and djokovic pointing at federer's age everytime he crapped his pants and lost to nadal and djokovic in the recent times.......

we have heard enough of that 30 years song for so long now........30 means jacks**t when you train yourself like a teen and still move like a 25 year old........so you guys stop blowing that trumpet....... 

2. federer's career has been a perfect reflection of his latest slam win.........he never had a rival until 5 years ago and when he had one finally, he started losing and winning whatever that rival has allowed him to take.........

i will still give a big credit to him for manning up and beating djokovic, murray because he took what was there to be taken, but it's ridiculous to blow this GOAT nonsense based on a bunch of weak era slams and nadal-leftover-slams........

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #674 on: July 09, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »

andy gave only two slams........the last slam was stolen from andy and gifted to fed by the all england lawn tennis and croquet club.......shades of frauderacionale francais de tenis........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #675 on: July 09, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
i can't believe this baseless arguments over this roof..
the roof was built just so that the play continues even when it rains..it rained..Roof on.SIMPLE !!

& Nobody, not even Federer/nadal/nole/murray/anyone can predict the result if the match was played outdoors..
so i feel its terribly wrong to say murray was robbed of his title.. :\ that is sh!t !!

& incase if anyone didn't notice, it was raining hard for around 30 mins..& then it was drizzling for a long time.( for around 50 mins more)

Every player goes into center court knowing the rule that the roof will come when it rains.

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #676 on: July 09, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »

If at all this Wimbledon proved anything, it is that (i) you are talking nonsense and (ii) you are a bad loser.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #677 on: July 09, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
............I am sure Fed will put a little sticker on the inside of his trophy with a note that says "I was lucky they shut the roof".

:rofl_2:   Good idea. Even though he broke Murray to take the second set whilst the roof was still open! And I'm not quite sure why playing under the roof would cripple Murray?  Most curious!

This was a momentous win for Federer.  He is a genius of the sport who has achieved another incredible feat in his already outstanding career.  He took this title by beating the world number one &  the world number 4.  Instead of the congratulations he deserves,  the nonsense uttered by some here is beyond churlish. It is a disgrace.

Murray is a gentleman. He has a great ability & will win titles, no question.  But this moment belongs to Federer - congratulations to the Maestro. 
Carpe Diem

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #678 on: July 09, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »

1. to all those excuse makers bulls**tting the prime, non prime garbage, this win is like a backfire at their absolutely pathetic excuse making and discrediting nadal and djokovic pointing at federer's age everytime he crapped his pants and lost to nadal and djokovic in the recent times.......

we have heard enough of that 30 years song for so long now........30 means jacks**t when you train yourself like a teen and still move like a 25 year old........so you guys stop blowing that trumpet....... 

2. federer's career has been a perfect reflection of his latest slam win.........he never had a rival until 5 years ago and when he had one finally, he started losing and winning whatever that rival has allowed him to take.........

i will still give a big credit to him for manning up and beating djokovic, murray because he took what was there to be taken, but it's ridiculous to blow this GOAT nonsense based on a bunch of weak era slams and nadal-leftover-slams........

Sorry, you may be a little tired and emotional, but i need to correct you about a few things.
Age IS an issue for tennis players just like it is for any other sportsman, to suggest it isnít is simple ignorant
It isnít merely that movement suddenly becomes sluggish or that mobility is compromised to the point of making playing at a high level unsustainable.  Rather that some small injuries tend to endure or that large new ones can emerge impinge or end an athletes career. There is some slowing down, though this is negligable-at least until a player reaches his 30's.
But even more significantly psychology plays a huge part in the later careers of players-especially those sports where nerve is involved-like tennis.
Every retired tennis player iíve ever heard who commented on the subject reports that nerves increase with age, not the converse.  Even Nadal recently commented on how nervous he was going into the French open final.
Most grandslame winners win their first slam before the age of 25, those who donít are in a minority, and the optimum age for winning slams in men is between 20-26.
Of course players win slams older than this, but if you check out the stats over the last 20 years, once you hit 30 that likelihood diminishes drastically in statistical terms.

The concept of the GOAT will inexorably be determined by simply counting up the number of slams a player has won. There are no other satisfactory criteria which could possibly establish such an idea, which is why Federer is considered the greatest. Some may doubt this, but overwhelmingly amongst players, commentators, and fans of the game his is the best and for one good reason-heís won more slams than any other guy.
The logical upshot of not using a slam count as decisive is that i can put forward any player i think of regardless of the number of slams heís won and claim heís the GOAT by virtue of any criteria i care to think of-weeks at no1, head to heads, overall ATP titles, the era he played in, the surfaces he won on ect.
History almost unanimously judges slams as the criteria by which we judge the greatest,  and all your post Wimbledon sobbing and angst will not change that one jot. 
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #679 on: July 09, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
What utter bull s**t.
You profess your support for a great player - Murray, by insulting his professionalism and integrity.  It is hard enough to get to a GS final without being patronised by "fans" who accuse him of throwing away / gifting matches. On this argument, Federer has gifted away plenty of wins too.  What a pathetic mindset.

All commentators, Murray supporters almost to a man, have acknowledged that when Federer plays like he did, no one could have beaten him.  That he was too good.

Mind you, in the end, the bitter whingeing of some will do nothing to tarnish the brilliance of one of the greatest players of the game.

Murray was graceful in defeat.  And in his post match interview, he showed what this loss meant to him.  I hope his real fans will do him the honour of acknowledging that he fought hard in this match, and did not gift it away. 
Carpe Diem