Author Topic: 2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012  (Read 22456 times)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: 2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012
« Reply #760 on: July 24, 2012, 07:10:42 AM »
While there are many facts in the posts above, I'd like to make a personal request before the whole 'GOAT' discussion errupts again.
The record that might qualify him for this discussion are only in male, singles tennis.  To some fanboys this might be the only arena worth discussing (they may not be wrong ;-()), however, for other fans, the sport is far more than just singles on the male side.

Well said! I may be in the minority here, but I feel he could easily win Slams in doubles - men's as well as mixed - and enhance his legacy. Most of the greats in the previous generations used to do that. Navratilova won 18 Grand Slam singles titles, 31 major women's doubles titles (an all-time record), and 10 major mixed doubles titles. Billie Jean King won 12 Grand Slam singles titles, 16 Grand Slam women's doubles titles, and 11 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles. John McEnroe won 7 Grand Slam singles titles, 9 Grand Slam men's doubles titles, and 1 Grand Slam mixed doubles title. Roy Emerson won 12 Grand Slam singles titles and 16 Grand Slam men's doubles titles. Rod Laver won 11 Grand Slam singles titles, 6 Grand Slam men's doubles titles and 3 Grand Slams mixed doubles titles. And these are just a few examples.

So yeah, I hope he starts playing doubles at Slams over the next 4 years, but I don't think he will, which is a pity IMO. Because if Federer started playing doubles at the Slams regularly, I'd bet that Nadal, Djokovic and Murray would follow suit, and the doubles game would become more high profile, which would only benefit the sport in the long run.

the game has become physical.......it is not possible for top players to play doubles and singles at slams and be successful.......

the trend of neglecting doubles among top players really started with bjorn borg........he is the first top player to put singles, fitness and work ethic ahead of everything else like doubles and other stuff.......

lendl followed suit and so did sampras........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #761 on: July 24, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »
While there are many facts in the posts above, I'd like to make a personal request before the whole 'GOAT' discussion errupts again.
The record that might qualify him for this discussion are only in male, singles tennis.  To some fanboys this might be the only arena worth discussing (they may not be wrong ;-() ), however, for other fans, the sport is far more than just singles on the male side.

Well said! I may be in the minority here, but I feel he could easily win Slams in doubles - men's as well as mixed - and enhance his legacy. Most of the greats in the previous generations used to do that. Navratilova won 18 Grand Slam singles titles, 31 major women's doubles titles (an all-time record), and 10 major mixed doubles titles. Billie Jean King won 12 Grand Slam singles titles, 16 Grand Slam women's doubles titles, and 11 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles. John McEnroe won 7 Grand Slam singles titles, 9 Grand Slam men's doubles titles, and 1 Grand Slam mixed doubles title. Roy Emerson won 12 Grand Slam singles titles and 16 Grand Slam men's doubles titles. Rod Laver won 11 Grand Slam singles titles, 6 Grand Slam men's doubles titles and 3 Grand Slams mixed doubles titles. And these are just a few examples.

So yeah, I hope he starts playing doubles at Slams over the next 4 years, but I don't think he will, which is a pity IMO. Because if Federer started playing doubles at the Slams regularly, I'd bet that Nadal, Djokovic and Murray would follow suit, and the doubles game would become more high profile, which would only benefit the sport in the long run.

That's a good suggestion, I would probably like to see something like Nadal-Fed vs Murray-Djokovic. Or other combinations.

It could benefit tennis as a whole, it would be another platform for the fans to cheer.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #762 on: July 24, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
Why should they play more doubles?  Seriously?  I mean, half the time we don't even see doubles on television; the money for the double's event isn't that great; they are already multi-millionaires...so other than playing MORE (a complaint the top guys already have)....then what would be the benefit from their stand point?

The women are different in that all of their events are best of 3 any way.  If the top guys decide to play doubles, I would actually feel sorry for their partners because the first time their single's match have to go over 4 hours...then they are scheduled for a doubles event the same day...how much would you bet they would probably pull out of their next double's match.  So no...I really don't see the top guys playing more doubles at all.  Just my opinion.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #763 on: July 24, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »
Why should they play more doubles?  Seriously?  I mean, half the time we don't even see doubles on television; the money for the double's event isn't that great; they are already multi-millionaires...so other than playing MORE (a complaint the top guys already have)....then what would be the benefit from their stand point?

The women are different in that all of their events are best of 3 any way.  If the top guys decide to play doubles, I would actually feel sorry for their partners because the first time their single's match have to go over 4 hours...then they are scheduled for a doubles event the same day...how much would you bet they would probably pull out of their next double's match.  So no...I really don't see the top guys playing more doubles at all.  Just my opinion.

How about Ivo-Isner vs. Ferrer-Simon. That would be interesting.  :)~

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #764 on: July 24, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »

My point is that men's singles is only one facet of the diamond we call tennis. 

It may not be possible for a player to excel in singles, dubs, and mixed, given the physical demands of today's game.  Or perhaps that's the next evolution of the ultimate player.....

I don't see today's top 4 crossing over much and the more I think about it, the less I care whether they do or not..... :bored:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #765 on: August 11, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
i was right.......they should have continued the final outdoors.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #766 on: August 11, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »

But they didn't. End of story.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #767 on: August 11, 2012, 11:55:29 AM »
I was wondering if you would dare coming up with this :rofl_2:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #768 on: August 11, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »
He is on a roll today!
Unrivaled enthusiasm. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012
« Reply #769 on: August 12, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »

But they didn't. End of story.

End of story, but not necessarily the end of whining and/or conspiracy theorizing :)
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
2012 (MEN) WIMBLEDON OFFICIAL THREAD, June 26-July 8, 2012
« Reply #770 on: August 12, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »
He is on a roll today!
Unrivaled enthusiasm. :)

MT strikes again with a post of the year candidate...
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline phoneix

• Tennis Player
« Reply #771 on: August 12, 2012, 09:17:12 AM »
Maybe people have forgotten that the first two sets of Wimbledon were played outdoors, and it was 1 set all, with Federer having the momentum.