Author Topic: poly string recommendation  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: poly string recommendation
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 02:54:31 AM »
I'm far from an expert, but everything I've read about polys says low tension is essential to peak performance of the string.  Being the contrarian that I am, I push the tensions higher (70lbs. plus), just for fun.  Have yet to try ultra low tensions (35-45lbs.) as recommended due to my sabbatical from serious hacker play.  Perhaps that will be next up as I have a few sets of poly left.

The other site I used to frequent that has excellent info from & for professionals is http://www.grandslamstringers.com/.

i string mine at about 55 lbs and that is already very high on power i felt........it's a 98 sq inch head, so maybe that's the reason........

i am planning to buy a prostaff 88 just for fun and i think that's the right size of frame to lower the tension even further and increase control........are you sure you want to go below 45 lbs? 55 itself feels high on power for me........

:confused1:

Typically higher tension =  less power/more control.
Lower tension = more power/less control.

What string/s are you using?
What style of game?

what i meant by "to increase control" was the control which i would sacrifice by moving to lower tensions with the same 98 frame i would regain that control through a smaller frame........yes "increase" was not the right word.......

i thought smaller frames offer more control for the same tension? is it not so? i tried a 90 once and it felt better than the 98........so i am moving to 88 shortly even if i shank a bit in the beginning.......

i use synthetic strings, not sure what sub version it is........i never noticed it that much........i am a baseliner with 1 H backhand and play in the weekends.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 06:31:47 AM »
Ahhhh, that makes sense now, thanks for clarifying!

Indeed smaller head sizes typically offer greater control at the same tension. 

Happy Hitting! :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »
The thing about natural gut is that over time it start to fray!  Stands get separated and your strings look like they are going to break any time.  But they will hold up.  This is probably the last time I going to have natural gut since it been heading upwards toward the $60($45 strings + $15 stringing charge) range with the cost of string it!  I get a discount  on the stringing - regular customer are charged $25!  But still it very costly especially with doing 3 rackets every year or so.  Plus, they do loose tension over time and it seems that RPM Blast does loose tension but I do not notice!  Maybe due to the softness of the poly!  RPM Blast is around $20-$25 and seems to last longer. 

It alway nice to try out new types of strings because you get the pleasure or displeasure from it; and you learn about how you hit and how the string plays.  It not a waste of money because you are trying to find an even better string that matchs your play with a given racket. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 06:39:40 AM »
Wow, I don't know anyone that's played with or asked for gut in over 15 years now!

What about a gut poly hybrid?
I thought that's what some of the players were using when it first came out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:49:09 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
Here it is-
June 19, 2011
NY Times

But the strings are where the real breakthroughs have come in the past decade. The development of polyester strings has changed the game by allowing players to take bigger cuts without bigger risks. Nadal switched to a new type of Babolat co-poly string called RPM Blast in January 2010 designed to help improve spin.

Federer and Djokovic use a blend of polyester strings and natural gut. They use gut in their main, vertical strings and polyester in their cross strings, the opposite of what most players do.

“When Roger went this way and started racking up Slams, there was a period when everybody started switching and then they all went back,” Wilson’s Ron Rocchi said. “The theory is that you put poly in the mains to get durability, and gut in the crosses helps playability. But Roger was stringing rackets so often anyway, he didn’t care about durability. He went for a different feel on the string bed, and it comes from the fact he is stringing a very small head size at a very low tension.”
CONK da ball!!!

Offline ryoma

• New Poster
    • KickServeTennis.com
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »
Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L

I don't understand how people break poly.  Learn how to hit the sweetspot.  Not the frame.  The ONLY time I break a poly is shanking a ball on the frame.  And you are supposed to restring when the tension drop, like 2 weeks if you play 3 times a week.
A Tennis Fan's Dream Magazine
www.KickServeTennis.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L

I don't understand how people break poly.  Learn how to hit the sweetspot.  Not the frame.  The ONLY time I break a poly is shanking a ball on the frame.  And you are supposed to restring when the tension drop, like 2 weeks if you play 3 times a week.
Spot on, on both counts.
The only time I've had a problem with poly breaking early was stringer related.  They can deform a bit when clamped.
Most playas here are more interested in strings lasting the whole year than consisitent playability.
Depending on the string, after a certain amount of time the tension drops significantly.  Most club players unconsiously adjust their strokes after that up until the next string job, sometimes up to a year!
I guess in the long run it's all about your budget.

I've had some players bring their racquet in for an 'annual' string job only to discover the existing tension for a synthetic was below 40 lbs.  Cracks me up when they say they want it restrung at 54-55lbs.  Like they have any freakin' clue! :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48:19 AM »
Trend on the pro tour circuit is towards very low tension stringing.  The string tension that John McEnroe was using when he was on the tour.  Federer strings are in the low 40s and McEnroes was in the middle 30s.  Now player are going to the tension of John McEnroe.  They seem to like the power and still have the ability to control the shot!  I guess we will have to wait; if there will come a Pete Samprass again stringing his racket in the mid 70s!  LOL! 

Offline goodsguys

• Tennis Player
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 01:45:37 AM »
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

If you remember the sigma string which started discussion ( apparently there is the pro plasma and the pro plasma hextreme )
and the link you supplied on the 26th june there was some confusion if the string in question was the pro plasma or the hextreme, then later you provided links for the pro plasma on the 27th the specs for the two seem very much different if you look at the durability and spin.

I am guessing the first link was for the hextreme, do you think this is correct?

Also the hextreme results are impressive it looks to have durability equal to the famous luxion big banger and a greater spin potential
also it is half the price, just concerned if it is so good no one seems to have heard of it or played with it.

I have to agree with you about the low tension requirements i'm thinking of going for 45 pounds apparently the ideal is 30 to 40 pounds, has anyone tried polys at 30 lbs it does sound very low, or compare that with higher say 70 pounds.

Many thanks. John.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 06:20:14 AM »
Trend on the pro tour circuit is towards very low tension stringing.  The string tension that John McEnroe was using when he was on the tour.  Federer strings are in the low 40s and McEnroes was in the middle 30s.  Now player are going to the tension of John McEnroe.   They seem to like the power and still have the ability to control the shot!  I guess we will have to wait; if there will come a Pete Samprass again stringing his racket in the mid 70s!  LOL!
My first thought is this is apples & oranges.
Frames, head size, string patterns, and the string themselves are so completely different than JMac's (i.e. the wooden racquet) era.  And let's not forget the swing shapes!!! :scared:  It's a totally different sport these days.
From what I understand of it, the physical properties of the poly strings are most evident at low tension.  I don't know if it's a 'cupping' effect of something else.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 06:27:16 AM »
Trend on the pro tour circuit is towards very low tension stringing.  The string tension that John McEnroe was using when he was on the tour.  Federer strings are in the low 40s and McEnroes was in the middle 30s.  Now player are going to the tension of John McEnroe.  They seem to like the power and still have the ability to control the shot!  I guess we will have to wait; if there will come a Pete Samprass again stringing his racket in the mid 70s!  LOL! 

One of the commentators mentioned last week that DelPo strings his at about 70 lbs.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

If you remember the sigma string which started discussion ( apparently there is the pro plasma and the pro plasma hextreme )
and the link you supplied on the 26th june there was some confusion if the string in question was the pro plasma or the hextreme, then later you provided links for the pro plasma on the 27th the specs for the two seem very much different if you look at the durability and spin.

I am guessing the first link was for the hextreme, do you think this is correct?

Also the hextreme results are impressive it looks to have durability equal to the famous luxion big banger and a greater spin potential
also it is half the price, just concerned if it is so good no one seems to have heard of it or played with it.

I have to agree with you about the low tension requirements i'm thinking of going for 45 pounds apparently the ideal is 30 to 40 pounds, has anyone tried polys at 30 lbs it does sound very low, or compare that with higher say 70 pounds.

Many thanks. John.
Ayuh, my apologies for any confusion.
The 2 do seem different.
What I've slowly learned is that you can't get something for nothing.
I buy the best that I can afford when it comes to tools & toys.
In most cases, there's a reason things cost more.
There's a reason the pros are playing Lux and not Signum.
I think it's quality.
Hacker that I am, it probably doesn't really matter one whit! :rofl_2:
But what the hey! :))
CONK da ball!!!