Author Topic: Extra money for players who make 5 set - remarkable match  (Read 790 times)

Online williamchung7

• Tennis God
Extra money for players who make 5 set - remarkable match
« on: June 29, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »
One question.....
I want to ask does ATP have bonus (some extra money) for players make 5 set match?

You know wimbledon has dispute talking about fair prize money for men.  :Confused:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Re: Extra money for players who make 5 set - remarkable match
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:05:01 PM »
This is very subjective. The rule (law) of nature is that the best should win. Fair enough...survival of the fittest. Now if a player so much superior to his opponent, why should there even be a fourth or fifth set? The player would win in easy three sets. I wouldn't like to watch two players who don't play well, who make some silly shots play for over 5 hrs over 5 sets and see them paid well. That;s not how it works.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
Interesting topic William!
As Falc alluded, how do we as fans measure the quality of a match?
Rather than a flat fee per round, is it even possible to quantify the entertainment value of a match?  Is a 5 setter necessarily entertaining?

I guess you could always pay the guys by the hour or some combo of round reached and time on court?   Seems a bit complicated.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 05:01:26 AM »
i say let's make the women's prize money 90% of what men get and end the nonsense once and for all.......that will satisfy the egos of all the sexes.........women players know they are not as good as men........this is not a 9 to 6 job where you are paid equally irrespective of sex.......

women don't draw half the spectators to the sport that men draw.......if sharapova or williams open their mouth, ban them from tennis.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Online williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:06:24 AM »
Interesting topic William!
As Falc alluded, how do we as fans measure the quality of a match?
Rather than a flat fee per round, is it even possible to quantify the entertainment value of a match?  Is a 5 setter necessarily entertaining?

I guess you could always pay the guys by the hour or some combo of round reached and time on court?   Seems a bit complicated.

I guess possible way to do is give the one loses 5 set match some extra money (maybe some percentage of original prize money) at early stage of tournament. It may help lower-ranked player life and enhance competition by encourage them go for more and prevent they try to make it. So this approach only want to encourage people to battle up.

Is it a possible approach?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:45:16 AM by williamchung7 »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
Huh? WHAT?! No.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 04:44:46 AM »
Extra money for players who make 5 set - remarkable match :  sounds ridiculous.. :)~ :rofl_2:

if there was such rule, chances of fixing matches are high !! :mad1:
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Online williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:15:17 AM »
ha ha  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

I accept it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:16:41 AM by williamchung7 »