Author Topic: #1 for 1 week more impressive than #1 for 285 weeks  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Re: #1 for 1 week more impressive than #1 for 285 weeks
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »
Clever title for the thread, BABBLELOT.

Sampras's record of YE at number one is just incredible. As is Federer in regaining number one. Especially, as you say up thread, he did so by beating the then number one & with the then number two also having competed in the tournament too. Most impressive. I'm glad that his steady improvement in form since the loss to Djokovic at the USO has paid off.  And like you, I'm pleased to see the share of slams thus far this year.  The remainder of the year should be most interesting.

It beggars belief that some are so begrudging of Federer.  He just passed Djokovic by a whisker ( 75 points, I think)  and has made history as a result. I doubt if anyone believes that this is anything other than a very temporary ranking for Federer.  And to begrudge  his fans & well wishers their celebrations - it has only been 3 days since he won Wimbledon - is just small minded.
What a pity.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:17:01 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 05:58:07 AM »
Start da Game fears nothing........it is just a small matter of concern regarding past greats.......surface homogenization has already f**ked the legacy of sampras, lendl, borg, laver and other all time greats who earned their records striving for decades........no educated tennis fan is fool enough to believe that fed and rafa are really as worthy as to win career grandslam SO EASILY........

as long as greedy ITF remain greedy and continue feeding the sheep, we might really see the next generation player winning 25 slams........

tennis needs nadal now more than ever.......

Please get your facts straight, self claimed  'educated fan'. Fed strove for 11 years until he won the carrier slam. He won Wimbledon in 2003 with only serve and volley. Nadal won it by standing on the stands and rally. So when talking about things, please be specific.

And you keep writing, how Nadal is the saviour of the world, the God-sent angel to restore the order in tennis . . . bla bla bla . . . really I've seen that same sentence a multitude times now . . . but never seen how and why. How should Nadal save tennis ? By being a bigger rogue ?

I think your comments are only exposing Nadal ever more. I had a feeling some time ago that you're not a Nadal fan but one who is trying to appear as one and the expose the man more to scrutiny. I think you're a closet Fed fan.

Keep it up. We now know what you feel about Nadal.
The world awaits no genius

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:07 AM »
Truly a great achievement for Federer. I guess he really likes to prove his detractors wrong.  ;-()

Since the Olympics are at Wimbledon this year, Federer might just ride the confidence wave and win it. Who knows?
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 06:44:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum Oracle...

It is difficult to know who will win the gold.. as you said this is a best of 3 format and anything can happen... we are just going to have to wait and see if Fed is up to the challenge.. I think he is the favorite along with Djokovic...

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum Oracle...

It is difficult to know who will win the gold.. as you said this is a best of 3 format and anything can happen... we are just going to have to wait and see if Fed is up to the challenge.. I think he is the favorite along with Djokovic...

Thanks, mav140.  :))

I think Roger will be more focussed this time. After all, he knows time is running out for him. He has said that he plans to play until Rio 2016, but I don't know if he can win the title at the age of 35. This is definitely his best chance. His favourite surface, his favourite court.  If he manages to win it, it would be a frakking awesome fairytale win. :worthy: So fingers crossed.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline no_1_djoko_fan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 06:11:58 AM »
Good luck with that. Roger will win the Olympics and solidify the #1 ranking. Djokovic looks as cooked as a turkey about now. Nadal's knees are shot.
Still it's not going to last for ever. He is now 30 and has won one grand slam in two and a half years. I don't think there is anything to indicate that he is going to dominate again.
"Sometimes it feels like you're not on a tennis court, the amount of noise you guys produce and for us it's a great feeling. It's a pleasure playing in front of you. It's my great privilege to be standing here in front of one of the greatest players ever, Rod Laver. "

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 06:25:26 AM »
Good luck with that. Roger will win the Olympics and solidify the #1 ranking. Djokovic looks as cooked as a turkey about now. Nadal's knees are shot.
Still it's not going to last for ever. He is now 30 and has won one grand slam in two and a half years. I don't think there is anything to indicate that he is going to dominate again.
:nods in agreement:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 04:22:22 PM »

Yeah, have to agree with no1djokofan's assessment. Federer can still win a lot of 250s, 500s and even Masters 1000s as they are BO3. But winning against Nadal and Djokovic in back to back BO5 matches might be too much for the old man. Ofcourse, if Nadal and Djokovic were to be in the same half of the draw a lot more from now on, that would benefit Federer immensely.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: #1 for 1 week more impressive than #1 for 285 weeks
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
Pete's record is safe. 6 straight YE #1s. I've said for years and years that the only thing that's meaningful is YE rankings. Having said that, I believed Roger would win another W or USO, but I never thought he'd get back to #1. In fact, that defies history. It seems once a player drops they don't get back. A fall from #1 to #3 then back to #1 seems remarkable if not unprecedented.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

Connors in '82?  Wasn't he 30 at the time as well?

Nicely done, FreeBird. Remarkable but not unprecedented.

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »
Pete's record is safe. 6 straight YE #1s. I've said for years and years that the only thing that's meaningful is YE rankings. Having said that, I believed Roger would win another W or USO, but I never thought he'd get back to #1. In fact, that defies history. It seems once a player drops they don't get back. A fall from #1 to #3 then back to #1 seems remarkable if not unprecedented.

sampras fell to no.5 in 1999 before rising back to no.1 after wimbledon 2000 and almost held onto the top spot until kuerten took him out in the semis of the TMC 2000........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

sampras fell to no.5 in 1999 before rising back to no.1 after wimbledon 2000 and almost held onto the top spot until kuerten took him out in the semis of the TMC 2000........

Really?! Good fact checkers. I guess by the time you're 3rd or 4th, it's less remarkable. Lol

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »

Obviously we knew Pete's record was safe back in 2008, old news Babble.

Lol

6 YE no. 1 isn't all that safe. Nole better have a great summer because Roger is the UGIPOAT.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

Lol

6 YE no. 1 isn't all that safe. Nole better have a great summer because Roger is the UGIPOAT.

the record of six straight year end no.1 is surely safe.......  :rofl_2:
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »

Lol

the record of six straight year end no.1 is surely safe.......  :rofl_2:

Negative.
Djokovic hasn't shown he can play the whole year at the top level, Nadal hasn't either.

The only player that can do that is Fed.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
i meant six consecutive season end no.1 finishes swish.......1993 - 1998 for pete but only 2004 - 2008 for fed.......

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »
i meant six consecutive season end no.1 finishes swish.......1993 - 1998 for pete but only 2004 - 2008 for fed.......

You are correct General Shanks.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »
From the ATP website's report of the Wimbledon final:

When Federer returns to World No. 1 he will tie Samprasí all-time record of 286 weeks in the top spot. At 30 years and 335 days, he is the second-oldest man to hold the No. 1 ranking, behind Andre Agassi who was 33 years and 131 days old.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/Federer-No1/Wimbledon-2012-Final.aspx

Given how physical the sport is these days, that is an incredible stat.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
From the ATP website's report of the Wimbledon final:

When Federer returns to World No. 1 he will tie Sampras’ all-time record of 286 weeks in the top spot. At 30 years and 335 days, he is the second-oldest man to hold the No. 1 ranking, behind Andre Agassi who was 33 years and 131 days old.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/Federer-No1/Wimbledon-2012-Final.aspx

Given how physical the sport is these days, that is an incredible stat.

Fed's played a lot and going deep in tournaments for nearly a year now.

I really don't know how he does it, and this year the olympics he's playing both singles and doubles.

With a couple of Masters coming up and then the USO he should be really worn down it would seem.

I have a feeling he may crash out at one of the masters and it would probably be best.
Playing while your worn down just invites injury.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2012, 03:51:58 AM »
Swish, you are right. Federer withdrew from Toronto yesterday. I think it's a good decision as he has played so much tennis of late. This way, he can rest and be fresh for Cincy and USO.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »
It is hard to predict how long can Federer stay on top in this year.

Djokovic has good chance to back No.1 in end this year. To do it, firstly he has to defence all points he got start now to US open. That is 3600 points. Then, he can go to Beijing Open and Shanghai Open to gain free point because he is injured and pulled out. The the last three tournaments Swiss Indoor, Paris Master, ATP World Final, he didn't do well. Federer has 3000 points to defence in these tournaments, and he has 560 points.

I will be very surprised to see Federer finish end of this year as World No.1 and tie Sampras record.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:22:27 AM by williamchung7 »