Author Topic: How Great Will 2012 Be?  (Read 3001 times)

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
Re: How Great Will 2012 Be?
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »

The matchup definitely favours Nadal on any surface, except indoor hardcourt. But if Federer has a good serve day and his forehand doesn't misfire, he can beat Rafa at the US Open.

Of course he can.

This is a good surface for Fed and he's handled Nadal at Indian Wells this year in straights.

The BH problem is still there but it's not as extreme a problem as before, Fed's worked on it.
Well, it was very windy at Indian Wells and although Fed played a great match, Rafa was more frustrated with the conditions. Additionally it is a best of 3 set match.

I believe US Open is  the only surface where Fed and Rafa did not meet yet.  I still vote for Rafa in a best of 5 set outdoor match .

But Nadal plays a low percentage game, so it was unusual that he was frustrated by the conditions in Indian Wells 2012 while Federer wasn't.

If they face each other at the US Open, Federer might have the slight advantage of not having any mental baggage [so far] at that venue.
:confused1:  Say what??? :confused1:

Sorry for the typo. I meant high actually.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »
Either way, it has been a great year so far.. each taking one slam ... the question remains will any of the reigning champions take the USO? or another player (Andy perhaps) can sum up to make it a full year and have 4 different winner for the slams.. that would just be amazing IMO...

But I would like to see any youngster step up to the plate and hit a homerun! :)) that would be even more awesome!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »

The matchup definitely favours Nadal on any surface, except indoor hardcourt. But if Federer has a good serve day and his forehand doesn't misfire, he can beat Rafa at the US Open.

Of course he can.

This is a good surface for Fed and he's handled Nadal at Indian Wells this year in straights.

The BH problem is still there but it's not as extreme a problem as before, Fed's worked on it.
Well, it was very windy at Indian Wells and although Fed played a great match, Rafa was more frustrated with the conditions. Additionally it is a best of 3 set match.

I believe US Open is  the only surface where Fed and Rafa did not meet yet.  I still vote for Rafa in a best of 5 set outdoor match .

But Nadal plays a low percentage game, so it was unusual that he was frustrated by the conditions in Indian Wells 2012 while Federer wasn't.

If they face each other at the US Open, Federer might have the slight advantage of not having any mental baggage [so far] at that venue.
:confused1:  Say what??? :confused1:

Sorry for the typo. I meant high actually.
Phew, thanks for the clarification!

I agree with you, I think in such conditions a player who plays the percentages should come out on top of a shot-maker/riskier player.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline hcpoirot

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 04:34:40 AM »
This is amazing year for tennis (men specially). Three top players with points so close between them that we could possibly had 3 players racing to be number one at year end WTF.

Who would be number 1 is depend on how well they play in few of the biggest tournaments that still left.

And US Open and Olympic event are the most important for all players concerns. Lets see how it work out.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
nadal not winning a non-clay tournament in 2 years is an event of zero forward momentum........it means nothing going forward........he lost a bunch of hardcourt finals to djokovic 2.0 and others (murray and fed) chipped in as well beating a beaten man that he was in 2011........

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »
nadal not winning a non-clay tournament in 2 years is an event of zero forward momentum........it means nothing going forward........he lost a bunch of hardcourt finals to djokovic 2.0 and others (murray and fed) chipped in as well beating a beaten man that he was in 2011........

I think it means something.  I remember when Roger had not won a grand slam since 2010...seems like EVERY interview, every board, many post kept bringing that stat up!  I got sick of it, but it was true.  That stat is true about Nadal, and it's just going to get worse as more tournaments pass by without him winning one. I think it is easier for Nadal to win a tournament off clay than it was for Roger to win a grand slam.  There are only 4 grand slams per year, whereas there are tons and tons of tournaments not on clay for Nadal to try to win.  I only recently realized he was in this kind of streak (not winning one since 2010)! Amazing really.

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »
I am a kin follower of several sports and though I was initially with the idea that no sport could touch football (soccer) nowadays I think tennis is the most unpredictable which makes it my number 1 now. In football its all about Messi and the Spanish team and big money teams with Chelsea stealing it this year. Boxing is a joke and fraudulous. Basketball is still interestring though.
This year Djokovic has 1 slam 1 final and 1 semi. Fed has 1 slam 2 semis. Nadal 1 slam 1 final. Everyone is looking ahead.
The world awaits no genius

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »

I think it means something.  I remember when Roger had not won a grand slam since 2010...seems like EVERY interview, every board, many post kept bringing that stat up!  I got sick of it, but it was true.  That stat is true about Nadal, and it's just going to get worse as more tournaments pass by without him winning one. I think it is easier for Nadal to win a tournament off clay than it was for Roger to win a grand slam.  There are only 4 grand slams per year, whereas there are tons and tons of tournaments not on clay for Nadal to try to win.  I only recently realized he was in this kind of streak (not winning one since 2010)! Amazing really.

Yeah, if he doesn't win USO this year, he will definitely have a very good chance at Beijing or Shanghai or Tokyo.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline phoneix

• Tennis Player
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
What about the fact that Nadal hasn't won a HC masters for almost three and half years. Does that mean anything?

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
How Great Will 2012 Be?
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »
What about the fact that Nadal hasn't won a HC masters for almost three and half years. Does that mean anything?

That's easy - tournament organizers who consistently put the toughest players in Rafa's half, then schedule him for a Thursday morning match after a grueling 3 set Wednesday night 2nd round encounter.  Not to mention the tour organizers, paid under the table by the Swiss federation, schedule the tournaments themselves to coincide with critical matches for the Spanish National Football team.  To top it off, surface experts apply a top-secret 'low bounce' polymer to the courts, which helps to neutralize Rafa's spin.  It's amazing that he's able to compete at all with so many dark sinister plots against him...

:)
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
the greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2012, 01:38:45 AM »
the greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.

Reminds me of that classic dialogue in Batman Begins:

"Why do we fall, Bruce? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up."  :worthy:

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 03:51:04 AM »

Whoop whoop whoop, The Dark Knight Rises this friday!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 06:00:19 AM »

That's easy - tournament organizers who consistently put the toughest players in Rafa's half, then schedule him for a Thursday morning match after a grueling 3 set Wednesday night 2nd round encounter.  Not to mention the tour organizers, paid under the table by the Swiss federation, schedule the tournaments themselves to coincide with critical matches for the Spanish National Football team.  To top it off, surface experts apply a top-secret 'low bounce' polymer to the courts, which helps to neutralize Rafa's spin.  It's amazing that he's able to compete at all with so many dark sinister plots against him...

Nominated for Post of The Year. :first-place:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2012, 11:18:44 AM »

it practically means nothing........he hadn't won a hardcourt masters title for over 1 and 1/2 year going into 2010 us open........nadal's career does not follow any trend or pattern........just when you think he's done, he keeps coming back with stunning wins........expect another massive run from him at the us open and australian open.........don't be surprised if he takes one or both those slams........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »

Whoop whoop whoop, The Dark Knight Rises this friday!

Hell, yeah!  :worthy: I'll be watching it THRICE on Friday itself - once with my brother, once with my ex-classmates, and once with some of my neighbours.  :)) Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Batman and I love Christopher Nolan's interpretation of the character.  :thumbs-up:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »

it practically means nothing........he hadn't won a hardcourt masters title for over 1 and 1/2 year going into 2010 us open........nadal's career does not follow any trend or pattern........just when you think he's done, he keeps coming back with stunning wins........expect another massive run from him at the us open and australian open.........don't be surprised if he takes one or both those slams........

I'll be waiting......

Offline xartiex

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »

What do you mean Nadal's career DOES NOT follow any trend or pattern? His career is practically predicated on clay. He's almost a lock on clay, save for a few surprises once in a blue moon, and especially when Djokovic delivered some blows in his clay finals in 2011. It's been well-known for a while now that Nadal typically performs well in the first half of the year during the clay season, then usually he goes away by the end of the year. And then it repeats! Now, I didn't say he's a non-factor outside of clay, but certainly he's less of one towards the tail end of the season.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »

I second the motion!!! Post of the Year!!!!!  :rofl_2:

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
How Great Will 2012 Be?
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »

I second the motion!!! Post of the Year!!!!!  :rofl_2:

Warning that posts like this will dangerously feed my ego and cause me to post more.  That, and the fact that I have no tolerance for whinetards...
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.