Author Topic: How Great Will 2012 Be?  (Read 3327 times)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Re: How Great Will 2012 Be?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 08:37:06 PM »

Djoker, Rafa and Roger each won a grandslam this year. Will Murray get his first at the US Open?  Or will one of the top 3 win this one?  If some one out side the top 4 wins this, who would it be?

This US Open is going to be very exciting!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 05:22:44 AM »
It should be a real dog fight among the top 4 to see if someone can double up on their slam haul this year or if Andy (not Roddick) can continue to improve and snatch his 1st.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »

Djoker, Rafa and Roger each won a grandslam this year. Will Murray get his first at the US Open?  Or will one of the top 3 win this one?  If some one out side the top 4 wins this, who would it be?

It should be a real dog fight among the top 4 to see if someone can double up on their slam haul this year or if Andy (not Roddick) can continue to improve and snatch his 1st.

it is going to be a show of nadal and djokovic........a completely two men show........they will blow the field like crazy through to the final, it won't even be close........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »

it is going to be a show of nadal and djokovic........a completely two men show........they will blow the field like crazy through to the final, it won't even be close........

Fed will have a lot to say about it.
That win at Wimby and now moving to #1 will give him a new source of motivation.

I hope Nadal is in Fed's half at the USO.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »

That win at Wimby and now moving to #1 will give him a new source of motivation.

arthur ashe has no roof and nadal won't lose in round 2........end of story, swish........murray will take time to recover from his latest slam final loss.......so i am expecting another nadal - djokovic final.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »

arthur ashe has no roof and nadal won't lose in round 2........end of story, swish........murray will take time to recover from his latest slam final loss.......so i am expecting another nadal - djokovic final.......

This isn't the Fed of last year, and even then he played very well.

Fed wants to have 6 slams on two surfaces, he can do it.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
If someone other than the Top 3 win US Open, then it will be the first time since 2003 that we will have 4 different Slam winners in a calendar year.  :worthy:

I'll be rooting for Murray this time. He has suffered enough losses. ::))11
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
I think the top 3 have a legit shot at the trophy.
There are some other contenders that may be able to go deep.
If I were a bettin' Man, I'd pick either Nole or Rafa, with Fed a close third.
Hopefully they'll play all the matches and not award the trophy ahead of time based on someone's 'predictions'.

That's the beauty of the game for me.
There are no foregone conclusions, only dreams and expectations lying in wait to be either realized or shattered.  The clock is ticking...............
CONK da ball!!!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »

One has to play two 5 set matches (semifinal on saturday, and final on sunday) to win the US Open which isnt going to help Fed who is almost 31.

Irrespective of the surface, Rafa is a bad match up for Fed, so I am not convinced that Fed will go through if he faces Rafa in the semis.

If Fed has to go through both Djoker in semis and Rafa in the final,  his chances are going to be slim.

Djoker has proven that he can go through both, but he has to get back to that awesome form again. Anything less, Rafa will get it done.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
Theoretical back-to-back finals on Sat & Sun isn't what I'd base my opinion on.  I think that's irrelevant to Fed.  Give me an example of the last time he was too gassed to contend for a slam semi or final.....31 or not.  I think his fitness is peerless on the tour.  Inherited from a champions lineage via Llendl and Sampras.

Nadal being a bad match up for Fed is a sound basis for further discussion.
Both mentally and physically he Raf has dominated in that match up and I wouldn't bet against him.

Rog v. Nole is a toss in my book at this stage of the game.
If I had to make a choice, I'd side with DJoker though it's hard to count Fed out riding the wave of confidence he has now.

Should be an exciting tourney! :))
Perhaps this is the year I'll finally see it in person. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »

One has to play two 5 set matches (semifinal on saturday, and final on sunday) to win the US Open which isnt going to help Fed who is almost 31.

Irrespective of the surface, Rafa is a bad match up for Fed, so I am not convinced that Fed will go through if he faces Rafa in the semis.

If Fed has to go through both Djoker in semis and Rafa in the final,  his chances are going to be slim.

Djoker has proven that he can go through both, but he has to get back to that awesome form again. Anything less, Rafa will get it done.

The matchup definitely favours Nadal on any surface, except indoor hardcourt. But if Federer has a good serve day and his forehand doesn't misfire, he can beat Rafa at the US Open.

''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »

The matchup definitely favours Nadal on any surface, except indoor hardcourt. But if Federer has a good serve day and his forehand doesn't misfire, he can beat Rafa at the US Open.

Of course he can.

This is a good surface for Fed and he's handled Nadal at Indian Wells this year in straights.

The BH problem is still there but it's not as extreme a problem as before, Fed's worked on it.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »

Of course he can.

This is a good surface for Fed and he's handled Nadal at Indian Wells this year in straights.

The BH problem is still there but it's not as extreme a problem as before, Fed's worked on it.

Well, it was very windy at Indian Wells and although Fed played a great match, Rafa was more frustrated with the conditions. Additionally it is a best of 3 set match.

I believe US Open is  the only surface where Fed and Rafa did not meet yet.  I still vote for Rafa in a best of 5 set outdoor match .

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »

Of course he can.

Well, it was very windy at Indian Wells and although Fed played a great match, Rafa was more frustrated with the conditions. Additionally it is a best of 3 set match.

I believe US Open is  the only surface where Fed and Rafa did not meet yet.  I still vote for Rafa in a best of 5 set outdoor match .

But Nadal plays a low percentage game, so it was unusual that he was frustrated by the conditions in Indian Wells 2012 while Federer wasn't.

If they face each other at the US Open, Federer might have the slight advantage of not having any mental baggage [so far] at that venue.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »

Of course he can.

But Nadal plays a low percentage game, so it was unusual that he was frustrated by the conditions in Indian Wells 2012 while Federer wasn't.

If they face each other at the US Open, Federer might have the slight advantage of not having any mental baggage [so far] at that venue.

Many folks underestimate Federers ability to play in tough conditions. He manages windy conditions well.

I hope you are right, but i still have to see it to believe it :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »
Nadal hasn't won a tournament on hards since 2010 Tokyo and that was against Monfils.

Fed won the last 2/3 also.

I'm hoping Del Potro breaks out and has a good run too, it's been a long wait.

There's a lot of dangers off of grass and clay for the top players, Roanic, DelPo, and some others could have a good game and take down the best.
Fed is favored against these kind of players over Djokovic and Nadal so that is in the equation too.

This has been a great year already, Djokovic early, Nadal taking #7 and Fed taking #7 with the number 1 to boot.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »

Of course he can.

Actually Nadal plays a high percentage game, that's probably what you meant.
It would seem that would be enough to win under those conditions but Nadal seemed a little off and was jumpy for some reason.

Fed was targetting Nadal's BH quite a bit, that was unusual and he also wasn't looking to end points in a rush by going for winners. So that match wasn't quite the same as other encounters.

Offline phoneix

• Tennis Player
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »
Fed was targetting Nadal's BH quite a bit, that was unusual and he also wasn't looking to end points in a rush by going for winners. So that match wasn't quite the same as other encounters.
Is that what Fed normally does? Inside-in forehand to Nadal's backhand, and then inside out forehand (to Nadal's forehand) when he gets a short reply.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »
Is that what Fed normally does? Inside-in forehand to Nadal's backhand, and then inside out forehand (to Nadal's forehand) when he gets a short reply.

I didn't really count the times he went there but it seemed to me he tried to breakdown that wing of Nadal's.

Recently before that Nadal has had some trouble generating depth from that wing leaving easier balls to attack.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »

Of course he can.

:confused1:  Say what??? :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!