Author Topic: Hand pain after playing tennis -- please help.  (Read 1665 times)

Offline deliveryman

• New Poster
Hand pain after playing tennis -- please help.
« on: June 30, 2005, 10:23:22 PM »
Hey, everyone -- if you haven't noticed im new here.  :)

Anyway a quick question:

I've been playing tennis recreationally on and off.  Nothing serious.  I've just gotten back into playing tennis again and changed my forehand grip to semi-western.  I've been playing A LOT of tennis the past couple days for the first time in a couple years, about 5-6 hours a day.

And today, I noticed my hand starts to shake uncontrolably whenever I pick up anything remotely heavy (like a pitcher of juice, or a water bottle).  That's never happened before.  Also, my palm is really sore along with the inside of my fingers.  My shoulder is a bit sore as well.

Is this normal because I haven't played in a while?  Does this happen if you change grips, or a combination of both?  I think it's because my fingers and hands aren't used to being in that position for long periods of time, but I just want to make sure.  

Or am I holding the grip incorrectly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 07:06:26 AM »
Deliveryman,

First off, welcome to the boards!!!

Second off, I play a lot of tennis and my wrist and hand would probably hurt if I played 5-6 hours a day a few days in a row, especially while using a grip I am not use to.  You might want to take a few days off, then go get a 1-2 hitting session and not over do it.  Ease back into it and see if it makes a difference.

I am guessing that the combo of the amount of time you are playing the new grip is your problem.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 12:19:38 AM »
What you have is very common. The best thing to do is rest and do some hand excercise. The hand grip thing is good.
You definately need to slow down because I can almost smell tennis elbow coming. You don't want that.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.