Tsonga
0 (0%)
Berdych
0 (0%)
Other
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 31, 2012, 11:18:56 AM

Author Topic: 2012 Olympics Men's Singles Gold - First Take  (Read 8160 times)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Re: 2012 Olympics Men's Singles Gold - First Take
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
Nadal is OUT of the Olympics!
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »
Nadal is OUT of the Olympics!

So Fed and Nole will be in opposite halves of the draw. I wonder in which side will Murray end up.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »
so now even the olympic tennis championships begins without its defending champion.........absolutely pathetic........this edition is now an event of zero credibility without its defending champion.........

it would be truly the most heinous thing of 2012 if flukerer is to gain a strength of 100 lions in the absence of his nemesis and grunt over the chicken arse fighters murray and djokovic in indoor conditions........

whoever wins the olympic gold must have an asterix sign embedded in the medal.........there is no doubt about it........tennis without nadal is a total joke........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
Nadal isn't fit to play.  How on earth is it Federer's fault?  If you want to blame someone, then blame Nadal. Blame his high intensity style of play for ruining his body. Blame his bloated clay schedule. [Isn't there a pattern here? Rafa gets injured mostly after Roland Garros].

There are no asterisks in tennis.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »
Some posters on this forum really help me work on my patience. It's awesome  :king:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
Nadal isn't fit to play.  How on earth is it Federer's fault?  If you want to blame someone, then blame Nadal. Blame his high intensity style of play for ruining his body. Blame his bloated clay schedule. [Isn't there a pattern here? Rafa gets injured mostly after Roland Garros].

There are no asterisks in tennis.

Bravo!!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »
Some posters on this forum really help me work on my patience. It's awesome  :king:
I know what you mean, Freebird, Dallas, and Alex, can all be very annoying....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline phoneix

• Tennis Player
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
When Nadal retires, will every event have an asterisk next to it?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
so now even the olympic tennis championships begins without its defending champion.........absolutely pathetic........this edition is now an event of zero credibility without its defending champion.........

it would be truly the most heinous thing of 2012 if flukerer is to gain a strength of 100 lions in the absence of his nemesis and grunt over the chicken arse fighters murray and djokovic in indoor conditions........

whoever wins the olympic gold must have an asterix sign embedded in the medal.........there is no doubt about it........tennis without nadal is a total joke........

Scheduling in the right way is part of tennis, make the wrong decisions and you pay.
Don't listen to your body and you pay.

Fed will have a chance to have a gold in both doubles and singles.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
2012 Olympics Men's Singles Gold - First Take
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »

Whasup Dr P!

Zero credibility is indeed the operative phrase, but it has nothing to do with the state of Olympic tennis with or without Rafa.  Tough business when one's wishes clash so violently with reality.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to cancel any event in which Rafa is unable to compete due to injury.  I mean, the result has zero credibility otherwise.  I'm sure the fans will understand - after all, they're only there to root on Rafa anyway...
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »
yeah go on keep mocking........keep believing that a big tournament without its defending champion is just as good and as strong........

when djokovic lost all of a sudden in RG 2011, its people like you who jumped in and said that nadal was lucky to have won that roland garros........the funny thing is that they claimed it baseless without even having any past examples of djokovic's dominance over rafa in roland garros and now when i am just saying this based on nadal's great olympic history and certainly a win over djokovic there, the same people jump on me........ 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:06:56 PM by Start da Game »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
yeah go on keep mocking........keep believing that a big tournament without its defending champion is just as good and as strong........

when djokovic lost all of a sudden in RG 2011, its people like you who jumped in and said that nadal was lucky to have won that roland garros........the funny thing is that they claimed it baseless without even having any past examples of djokovic's dominance over rafa in roland garros and now when i am just saying this based on nadal's great olympic history and certainly a win over djokovic there, the same people jump on me........

Shankar - nobody really cares what you think.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2012, 10:46:52 PM »

As far as whether the field is 'stonger' with Nadal in it, it comes down to whether he's really injured.  I'm simply taking him at his word, he really is injured and unable to compete near his optimal level.  Could he beat some lower level players injured?  Sure.  But is the field 'stronger' with an injured Rafa in it?  At the top level, probably not.  Note that I'm not talking about a healthy Nadal, because that doesn't exist at the current time.

As far as whether it makes a difference if the defending champion is in the draw, you need look no further than the 2008 Olympics (wait!  Isn't that the one Rafa won??), when Massu needed a wildcard to defend his 2004 Gold.  You tell me - did that wildcard for Massu make a difference in Rafa's 2008 Gold?

I don't recall dissing Rafa's 2011 French title, feel free to prove me wrong.  But I can certainly see being tempted to use the argument as an example of using your own twisted logic against you, since that's a line you seem to parrot on a regular basis. 

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »

Shankar - nobody really cares what you think.

I must confess some interest, sort of a fascination with what amounts to a logical train wreck. Apologies for indulging my weakness....

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2012, 05:17:08 AM »
I haven't been here for a while but who is this Start da Game ass clown?
Shame that Rafa isn't going to be at the Olympics and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the strong anti-doping tests they have. Just hope he gets well soon so he can lose early at the USO and see what other excuses are made for this. Some Nadal fans are way worse than Fed fans.

Offline phoneix

• Tennis Player
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2012, 06:19:34 AM »
Something to think about: only once has any played defended any medal in Olympic tennis (Fernando Gonzalez defending Bronze).

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2012, 06:24:46 AM »

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to cancel any event in which Rafa is unable to compete due to injury.  I mean, the result has zero credibility otherwise.  I'm sure the fans will understand - after all, they're only there to root on Rafa anyway...

Personally I thought they should have canceled Wimbledon after Nadal lost in round 2. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2012, 07:06:48 AM »
Who let the dogs out? :confused1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »

As far as whether the field is 'stonger' with Nadal in it, it comes down to whether he's really injured.  I'm simply taking him at his word, he really is injured and unable to compete near his optimal level.  Could he beat some lower level players injured?  Sure.  But is the field 'stronger' with an injured Rafa in it?  At the top level, probably not.  Note that I'm not talking about a healthy Nadal, because that doesn't exist at the current time.

As far as whether it makes a difference if the defending champion is in the draw, you need look no further than the 2008 Olympics (wait!  Isn't that the one Rafa won??), when Massu needed a wildcard to defend his 2004 Gold.  You tell me - did that wildcard for Massu make a difference in Rafa's 2008 Gold?

I don't recall dissing Rafa's 2011 French title, feel free to prove me wrong.  But I can certainly see being tempted to use the argument as an example of using your own twisted logic against you, since that's a line you seem to parrot on a regular basis.

yes you aren't talking of healthy nadal and that's exactly my point.......the bottom line is nadal not being healthy clearly weakens the field........

you compare massu who was not even in the top 20 contenders for gold at 2008 olympics to nadal who was a clear cut top contender at 2012 and defending champion.........i have heard it all now........