Author Topic: Tennis E-Books, Books, etc.  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Tennis E-Books, Books, etc.
« on: July 13, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
A forum member informed me that she was interested in purchasing e-books on players, biographies, etc.  If you have purchased books (hard copies or e-books) on tennis...list them here for a reference.  I'll keep this thread sticky for a little while to see what kind of responses we get.

In my personal library I have:

The Roger Federer Story (Quest for Perfection) by Rene Stauffer

Breaking Back (How I lost everything and won back my life) by James Blake

Fantasticfederer, by Chris Bowers

Roger Federer, by Jeff Savage

As with all 'biographies'...if a player is still alive and playing, the books are not up-to-date.  But I enjoyed all of those books above.

Offline Direxius

• Tennis Player
  • I Am Truly, Amazing
Re: Tennis E-Books, Books, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
Isn't the main purpose to put them up for download and share? how bout you go to an upload website and do us all a big favor?  :)~

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
A forum member informed me that she was interested in purchasing e-books on players, biographies, etc.  If you have purchased books (hard copies or e-books) on tennis...list them here for a reference.  I'll keep this thread sticky for a little while to see what kind of responses we get.

As with all 'biographies'...if a player is still alive and playing, the books are not up-to-date.  But I enjoyed all of those books above.

wow what an unexpected collection of books you have.......  :hysterical:

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »

wow what an unexpected collection of books you have.......  :hysterical:
:head-bash: :head-bash: :head-bash:  What did you expect! :rofl_2:

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »
Rafa - Rafael Nadal  :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ)

Online ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
i don't know whether this book has been released in e-book format, but this is a must-have book for every tennis fan :

Greatest Tennis Matches of All Time
by Steve Flink

It includes a list of Greatest tennis matches ever ( upto Australian open 2012 finals )

i've been trying to get my hands on it, but the local book store has no stock of it..:(
time for online order maybe. ;-()

also if you are looking for biographies/autobiographies of non tennis players, i recommend
Steve jobs
by Walter Isaacson

btw..nice list dallas... ;-()
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping you guys could give me download links for some of these books.  ;-()
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Direxius

• Tennis Player
  • I Am Truly, Amazing
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »
Ya this thread turns a bit irrelevant and useless without download links lol.

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5665520

come on guys.... its easy

http://rapidshare.com/files/280252461/0942257391_Roger_Federer.rar

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5665520

come on guys.... its easy

http://rapidshare.com/files/280252461/0942257391_Roger_Federer.rar

That was the only book I could find too. The torrent gives only the 2007 edition. Rene Stauffer has updated it and released a new edition in 2010.

I'm looking for the following books:

- High Strung: Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe and the Untold Story of Tennis' Fiercest Rivalry by Steve Tignor

- The Courts of Babylon: Tales of Greed and Glory From the Harsh New World of Professional Tennis by Pete Bodo

- Strokes of Genius: Federer, Nadal, and the Greatest Match Ever Played by Jon Wertheim

- The Clay Ran Red: Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros by Pete Bodo

- Pete Sampras: A Champion's Mind: Lessons from a Life in Tennis by Pete Sampras & Pete Bodo

- Open: An Autobiography by Andre Agassi

- Roger Federer: Quest for Perfection [2010 edition] by Rene Stauffer

- Rafa by Rafael Nadal & John Carlin

- Roger Federer: The Greatest by Chris Bowers

- Greatest Tennis Matches of All Time by Steve Flink

- Roger Federer: the Man, the Matches, the Rivals by Pete Bodo
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 03:25:23 AM »

One book that made a impression on me in regard to tennis strategy and personal growth.  A lot of anecdotes and insights into life and competition.  I going to buy this book and read it again.  Allen Fox was a former pro tennis player who beat Arthur Ashe, Jimmy Connors, Stan Smith, and John Newcombe.  He played in the 60s and early 70s. 

I remember this book because in one section of the book; he was recovering from a shoulder injury and could only lob.  So, he challenge himself and entered a club championships and played against 4.0 and 4.5 players.  If do not know if he won; but he told the tale of one match against a 4.5 player where the 4.5 thought in the beginning that he was just a push off since he could only lob and his serve I think if I remember right was very weak too.  Well, he lost the first set and he bearly won the second set and the third set; the 4.5 was just plain disguised and could not wait till the match to end.  It was quite funny the way he describe the match.

He had other tales too about his career and what he did when the chips where down and how he went to build back his confidence and ranking.  Was quite a memorable book about life and it stuggles told in turns of the tour in the 1960s and his minor career. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
Good stuff Harry. :)

My 2 favorite tennis books are-

Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert
  Open by Andre Agassi

I find it somewhat disturbing that most of these books are available in print, for sale, but that most folks are looking for 'the handout'.
For you folks, I'd recommend this book-
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/a-nation-of-moochers-is-the-take-care-of-me-society-wrecking-the-usa/
CONK da ball!!!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
I find it somewhat disturbing that most of these books are available in print, for sale, but that most folks are looking for 'the handout'.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/a-nation-of-moochers-is-the-take-care-of-me-society-wrecking-the-usa/

Fortunately, I'm not an American.  ;-()

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »

Are you payin' or are you Moochin'?
Americans don't hold a monoply on Moochism. :)~
CONK da ball!!!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 06:02:59 AM »

Are you payin' or are you Moochin'?
Americans don't hold a monoply on Moochism. :)~

Touché.  ;-()

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
books are so boring.......i never read any books except for the academic text books........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
I think you might have a problem if you find books/reading boring if you pursue a career in academia.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »
yeah, thankfully i am not into that career........book reading is so boring........just not my thing........they say it improves the vocab but i never bothered to improve my vocab anyway........

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
yeah, thankfully i am not into that career........book reading is so boring........just not my thing........they say it improves the vocab but i never bothered to improve my vocab anyway........

I read about 3-4 books PER WEEK on my Kindle! :rofl_2: I also worked in higher education for over 35 years too... :innocent:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »

I read about 3-4 books PER WEEK on my Kindle! :rofl_2: I also worked in higher education for over 35 years too... :innocent:

that is too much....... :hysterical: you must be so patient to read so much.......give me a big book and i will find new methods to skip paragraphs........