Author Topic: ATP - Gstaad - 16-22 July 2012  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Re: ATP - Gstaad - 16-22 July 2012
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
Another surprise in this raft of tournaments! I thought JT would take the title. Bellucci did well to do so instead.
Carpe Diem

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »
Now that Wimbledon will start a week later from 2015, Gstaad might become a grasscourt tournament.  :worthy:

http://swisstennis.ch/?rub=1&id=129087
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Sunday, 22 July

Singles - Final

Thomaz Bellucci (BRA) d. [1] Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) 67(6) 64 62

Doubles - Final
[1] Marcel Granollers (ESP) / Marc Lopez (ESP) d. Robert Farah (COL) / Santiago Giraldo (COL) 64 76(9)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
GRANOLLERS/LOPEZ CLINCH SECOND TITLE OF 2012

Top seeds Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez won their second ATP World Tour title of the season on Sunday as they defeated Colombians Robert Farah and Santiago Giraldo 6-4, 7-6(9) in the final of the Crédit Agricole Suisse Open Gstaad.

The Spaniards converted two of their nine break points and won 79 per cent of points behind their first serve to clinch victory in one hour and 37 minutes. They earned 250 ATP World Tour ranking points and €19,660 in prize money. They started the week at sixth in the ATP Doubles Team Rankings Race To London.

"I'm very happy to win here with Marc," said Granollers. "We have been fighting to reach such titles for a long time. We played very well this week."

Granollers and Lopez were contesting their second ATP World Tour final in as many weeks and their fifth of the season. They were victorious at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome (d. Kubot/Tipsarevic) and finished runners-up at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel in Acapulco (l. to Marrero/Verdasco), the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell (l. to Fyrstenberg/Matkowski) and at last week’s ATP Vegeta Croatia Open Umag (l. to Marrero/Verdasco).

The Spaniards now look to carry their strong form into the London 2012 Olympic Games, to be held at Wimbledon next week. Lopez replaced the injured Rafael Nadal in the Spanish team.

"We go there with a lot of confidence after winning here," said Granollers. "However the tournament will be on a completely different surface and we will give our best."

The unseeded Farah/Giraldo had reached their first ATP World Tour final after upsetting second seeds Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in the semi-finals.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
BELLUCCI BEATS TIPSAREVIC TO WIN SECOND GSTAAD TITLE

World No. 60 Thomaz Bellucci won the Crédit Agricole Suisse Open Gstaad trophy for the second time on Sunday as he upset top seed Janko Tipsarevic 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-2 in the final.

The Brazilian won his first ATP World Tour title as a qualifier in Gstaad in 2009 (d. Beck) and a year later added a second trophy to his tally with victory at the VTR Open (d. Monaco), then held in Santiago.

"Gstaad is very special for me because I won my first title here three years ago, which was a surprise and unexpected," said Bellucci. "For me to win one more time here is very special. I feel very comfortable here, like I’m playing at home."

The unseeded Bellucci received 250 South African Airways ATP Rankings points and €64,700, while Tipsarevic earned 150 rankings points and €34,080 in prize money.

The No. 8-ranked Tipsarevic was bidding to win his second ATP World Tour title in as many weeks, having won his first clay-court crown last week at the MercedesCup in Stuttgart (d. Monaco). He dropped to a 1-2 finals record in 2012, having also finished runner-up to Milos Raonic at the Aircel Chennai Open in January.

"I would like to congratulate Thomaz on a successful tournament and a great final," said Tipsarevic. "I felt the first two sets could have gone either way and he was just a better player than me in the third set. This was my first time in Gstaad and I honestly don’t know why; I should have come and played here more often. It’s an amazing event and a great tournament. Even though I lost in the final, I had an incredible two weeks with the win in Stuttgart and the final here."

In his third meeting with Tipsarevic, Bellucci avenged the defeat he suffered in last week’s Stuttgart semi-finals by rallying from a set down to clinch victory in two hours and 24 minutes. He converted five of his 11 break points and struck 10 aces, limiting Tipsarevic to just six points on his serve in the final set.

"It was very tough losing the tie-break, having led 6-1," reflected Bellucci. "I was playing very well, but on the set points I was too nervous. I miss-hit a lot of balls and I was very disappointed. I was very focussed after this, which was the key of the match, because if I had lost serve at the start of the second set it would have been very difficult to win. I’m very happy I got the focus to win two more sets."

The 24-year-old Bellucci recorded his fifth win over a Top 10 player, with all of those victories coming in clay-court contests. He improved to a 3-1 record in ATP World Tour finals.

Both Bellucci and Tipsarevic will now travel to London to compete in the Olympic Games, to be held on grass at Wimbledon.