Instructional Tennis > Tennis Rules & Regulations

Reaching Over the Net

(1/2) > >>

Jamesdster:
We'll start off with an easy one.  Are you ever allowed to reach over the net to touch a ball? 

monstertruck:
Yes.
I presume by 'touch' you mean 'hit during a point'.
You may not however, touch the net.

Jamesdster:

--- Quote from: monstertruck on July 25, 2012, 01:06:22 PM ---Yes.

--- End quote ---

Under what circumstance is this allowed?  If the ball is coming to you and you are at the net, if you reach over the net and hit the ball before it comes over to your side, you lose the point, even if you didn't touch the net.  You may of course hit the ball from your side of the net THEN with your follow thru, you may go over (but not touching) the net, which is perfectly legal.  Hint:  this is a tricky one.

Tennis4you:

--- Quote from: Jamesdster on July 25, 2012, 02:06:56 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Under what circumstance is this allowed?  If the ball is coming to you and you are at the net, if you reach over the net and hit the ball before it comes over to your side, you lose the point, even if you didn't touch the net.  You may of course hit the ball from your side of the net THEN with your follow thru, you may go over (but not touching) the net, which is perfectly legal.  Hint:  this is a tricky one.

--- End quote ---

The only time I am aware that it is allowed is if the opponent hit's the ball, it lands on your side of the court and then proceeds to bounces back over the net towards your opponent's side of the court.  Then and only then are you allowed to reach over the net to hit the ball.  Still cannot touch the net.

Jamesdster:

--- Quote from: Tennis4you on July 25, 2012, 03:18:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jamesdster on July 25, 2012, 02:06:56 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The only time I am aware that it is allowed is if the opponent hit's the ball, it lands on your side of the court and then proceeds to bounces back over the net towards your opponent's side of the court.  Then and only then are you allowed to reach over the net to hit the ball.  Still cannot touch the net.

--- End quote ---

You got it.  This happens sometimes when someone hits some serious backspin and the ball actually bounces back on their side of the court.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version